Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Pandora's Box 5S on CRT?

felixthadog

Question

Hey mate

Keen on how the new one runs on CRT and how the games run

Does it come with games, or do you need to add yourself (read something about 3A not pre loading games?)

Ive been thinking of selling the 5s and spending extra on the 6

Yeh to be honest im stuck getting my CRT setup.. Chassis arrives tomorrow i hope and then i start testing.

So i will keep you updated. I mean i was happy with the 5s except that it was VGA/HDMi ONLY. And i hate the ''get ready'' noise when the woman yells out as you choose games.

Yeh so it arrived with an empty usb and they send you a link to add the games. I believe theres a second link to add another 3000 games i think its stuff like super nes and home console, dont quote me though.

Yeh to be honest im stuck getting my CRT setup.. Chassis arrives tomorrow i hope and then i start testing.

So i will keep you updated. I mean i was happy with the 5s except that it was VGA/HDMi ONLY. And i hate the ''get ready'' noise when the woman yells out as you choose games.

Yeh so it arrived with an empty usb and they send you a link to add the games. I believe theres a second link to add another 3000 games i think its stuff like super nes and home console, dont quote me though.

Ahh

Ive got the 5s which supports CRT and no HDMI and doesnt say 'get ready' fortunately haha

Probably one of the many 5s variants (clones I suppose) out there. Guessing they behave differently

Cool mate, keep us posted once you fire it up and have a chance to play with it

I'm pretty sure if your "5s" is crt compatible then you have one of the all winner a13 "pandora 4" variants..

The Pandora 5 jamma edition (orange version) didn't support cga.

The only real way of determining if you have a clone is by opening it up.. The original has a fan and heatsink and is a new chipset. If yours has "A13" then unfortunately, it's a clone.

This new version will be very interesting and I'm hoping all the tearing from previous versions are gone.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Any thoughts on the Pandora 6 CGA version yet? There are usually loads of videos on youtube, but at the moment they all seem to be for those joystick/box versions. I am only interested to know what the CGA version is like. Seems it still can't even run MKII properly and people are using the PS1 version. Pathetic, really. Guess that means there is no hope for SYSTEM-32 games working.

I would love to hear about the Pandora's box 6 as well. I might go this route instead of mame PC again. But I need video from JAMMA.

Where would I be able to buy one, delivered to Denmark?

Any thoughts on the Pandora 6 CGA version yet? There are usually loads of videos on youtube, but at the moment they all seem to be for those joystick/box versions. I am only interested to know what the CGA version is like. Seems it still can't even run MKII properly and people are using the PS1 version. Pathetic, really. Guess that means there is no hope for SYSTEM-32 games working.

I run groovymame so I've always found Pandoras to be pretty shit in comparison but I got the Pandora 6 CGA because I was curious about PS1 emulation. It still doesn't come close to groovymame however if you're on a budget/don't have time to setup groovymame then it's not a bad option for the price. If you want me to test a specific game let me know but yeah it still doesn't run MKII or any Midway game around that time very well.

Here's my thoughts:

Good:

Compared to the Pandora 5, it runs games a lot better and can support a little more. Not every game runs well though and later stuff like some PGM games are pretty bad.

Input lag is a lot better compared to earlier Pandora's. Still noticeable in some games but for most it's pretty good.

You can add/remove supported games yourself via a USB stick. It's very easy, just drag games into the mame, FBA or PS1 folders and you're done. You can add you're own artwork for but you don't have to.

PS1 support is pretty decent and imo the biggest draw of this thing. It's a cheap way to play PS1 ISOs on your cab. I tested about 20 games and the only one that wouldn't run properly was Einhander. Everything else seemed to run at full speed. If you want an easy and cheap way to play PS1 on a cab then it's pretty decent.

I haven't tested it yet but it supports FBA as well. Might be another easy way to load up Mega Drive etc.

It's pretty cheap.

Bad:

It's not that bad but kind of annoying: You have to email them to get the files. They auto reply with a link to a google drive with like 8 files that is 8gb total. You have to download that, unpack and then copy to the USB so it's kind of tedious.

The majority of games still have V-sync disabled and screen tearing is very noticeable.

It runs everything at 384x224 so it stretches/squashes games with different native resolutions so they have uneven/jagged pixels, huge amounts of shimmering and just generally look shit.

The audio can get really bad in some games.

There's no way to rotate vertical games and they don't look great squashed to fit.

Not really a big deal and maybe you can do it but I can't find a way to run individual games in attract mode.

I would love to hear about the Pandora's box 6 as well. I might go this route instead of mame PC again. But I need video from JAMMA.

Where would I be able to buy one, delivered to Denmark?

I still recommend groovymame over this, just get a jpac and you're good to go.

If you want to buy one though then I got mine from here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Pandora-Box-6-1300-in-1-jamma-board-Arcade-pcb-for-arcade-machine-can-add-extra/937838_32915825093.html