Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Projects on the go

I've got a few projects on the go at the moment that I've made some decent progress on recently, so I thought I'd share. This isn't going to be a full blown resto thread, just random photos and progress updates. Let's see how it goes. Here is the starting point for the first 2 machines.

Here's the Fish Tales that I picked up a few months ago that was a stalled resto.

kMU4dAm.jpg?1

...and here is the Getaway I purchase over a year ago that I played for a few week before packing it up waiting for a suitable time to resto.

3kv0Aw6.jpg?1

Edited by jono

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T2, Getaway and Fish Tales were the machines that started my pinball passion in the early 90's. I'd love to have all 3 side by side. I sold my beautiful T2 which I kind of regent. At the time I sold it to buy a ToTAN, which I recently sold to buy a Medieval Madness, so all good. I'd love to have a T2 again and have all these early 90's pins side by side.

What a good looking game!

QQAPo03.jpg?1

Anyway, I was lucky to acquire an very good condition original, diamond plated, getaway playfield recently and did some basic touch ups, insert leveling and clear coating. This is the best playfield I've done to date. It was finished about 6 weeks ago so is ready to be re-assembled when I get time. This one should absolutely fly when the supercharger gets going.

hYJd7D2.jpg?1

ak1vYeK.jpg?1

Edited by jono

• 3 weeks later...
Screen print on gloss black paint with a few coats of clear over the top.
Looks fantastic, clearly you have mastered that one.

Are you doing clear over the cabinet decals as well or just the warning screen print?

Sent from my SM-G800Y using Tapatalk

I've seen clear over decals and it looks great but I think that is trade level stuff and I'm not at that level. As you know I like to keep things in keeping with the original but with some subtle enhancements.

This is the best screen print so far, but the process is far from perfected. The youtube vids make screening look easy. I can assure you it isn't.

Edited by jono

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress over the last week. I think I'm going to focus my efforts on getting Getaway done.

I stripped down the main cabinet. I hadn't really given it a good looking over before. Unfortunately there are some decent issues and the base will need to be replaced. Lucky I have a spare cabinet that is nearly ready to go, so that'll be converted to a Getaway and this cab will be parked for a later project.

94cFtBH.jpg?1

oG5WquK.jpg?1

Attention will now move to the playfield.

dAmXvZ0.jpg?1

I started work on the supercharger last night and have started polishing up the ramps. The diverter was only working about half of the time so this will be rebuilt. Previously the supercharger seemed a bit sluggish.

My question, are there any suggestions about how to get maximum performance out of the supercharger? Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

nC0JF6O.jpg?1

Y1WR9i1.jpg?1

• Administrators

I posted a simple circuit that I found online to test my supercharger. Often they are troublesome because the optos or the board are dicky. The tester will light an LED each time the opto is activated. If it is not the optos then get in contact with @skybeau (Ken) and get an estimate to rework the board. The price he charged me to replace a couple of components + a few IC's and the sockets to make the next repair ease was well worth it in the end.

You can find the diagram for the tester here...…

http://www.pinpointelec.com/accelerator-board.html

Also, diagnostic help here....

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/38503-Getaway-ball-accelerator-diagnostic-LEDs?highlight=getaway

and here...

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/40939-Williams-Getaway-(High-Speed-2)-Supercharger-Problem?highlight=supercharger

I found the above diagram helpful thanks to @furballx a long time ago. Check the resistance of the magnet coils and that if one of your magnets has failed it will definitely slow down the supercharger. A magnet took out the transistor on my accelerator board, that board has three opto's on there to tell you if they are registering but the only way to test the magnets is in the diagnostics menu or with a meter. The diverter needs to be tight, that helps keep the ball accelerating too, a bit of polish and your set..

• Administrators
I found the above diagram helpful thanks to @furballx a long time ago. Check the resistance of the magnet coils and that if one of your magnets has failed it will definitely slow down the supercharger. A magnet took out the transistor on my accelerator board, that board has three opto's on there to tell you if they are registering but the only way to test the magnets is in the diagnostics menu or with a meter. The diverter needs to be tight, that helps keep the ball accelerating too, a bit of polish and your set..

Yep, from what I could gather the boards can be a bit flakey, or maybe it is just because they are all nearly 30 years old now :o

• 2 weeks later...
I bought a bench grinder last week when Super Cheap had a 20% off sale and converted it into a polishing set up. Makes polishing so much faster.

AqgjnAX.jpg?1

k40MXBe.jpg?1

II6L9SD.jpg?1

Nice one @jono looks the goods. Pretty much a basic set up of what we use at work.

Keep the updates coming.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I bought a bench grinder last week when Super Cheap had a 20% off sale and converted it into a polishing set up. Makes polishing so much faster.

AqgjnAX.jpg?1

k40MXBe.jpg?1

II6L9SD.jpg?1

Nice, I bought a Bench grinder about 2-3 years ago.

Removed the grinding wheel, and went no further.

What mops did you get and where from if you don't mind?

I found an online store but was overwhelmed with the options.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Edited by Scotty T

HI @Savage, here is the mop kit I use.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Toolpro-Bench-Grinder-Polishing-Kit-8pc/386502

I'm only using the sisal mop for really worn lane guides. For all other items I find the soft and medium mops are all that are required with the light and medium compound. Only use the light mop with the white compound to get that mirror finish.

For people interested here are the links to the full set up which was about $80 total when on sale. If you are happy to spend a little more go for a higher wattage grinder.

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Rockwell-ShopSeries-Bench-Grinder-150mm-250-Watt/220509

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Toolpro-Bench-Grinder-Polishing-Kit-8pc/386502

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Product/Toolpro-Bench-Grinder-Tapered-Spindles-2pce/386503

150 watt is probably getting at the low side of what's required.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought an Abbot & Ashby from here https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/G160

Probably over kill, especially since I haven't used it much, and nine for polishing.

Yeah I looked at stuff like that. No doubt it'll churn through polishing and have power to spare. I wasn't sure how much faster it would be compared to a $50 option so decided to save a few dollars. If you wanted to do all sorts of polishing, linishing and grinding, something like than would be worth the money.