Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Ms Pacman Mini/Caberet restoration

So a while back I managed to get a kind of a two for one deal on these Ms Pacman Caberet's. One of them the cabinet was in pretty decent shape, but missing the marquee, monitor and PCB where as the other was complete but looked like it had been fished out from the bottom of a lake at one point.. Even in that state it was apparently working but I was not game to fire it up when I saw the state it was in.

So from the two I should get one restored and then have enough parts to build a replica scratch build second cab (anyone got a spare 14" CRT and chassis? [emoji14] )

I am now into the 3rd and final week of my holidays and have done jack shit.. Time to get back out into the garage.. af4880b73d21aba9935880d938e5168b.jpg4d42bcaa89d003260f1c560a895658bb.jpg

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

Yesterday I got started on it and gave the cab a much needed clean. It was filthy. Overall it came up pretty well. The woodgrain laminate only has a few dings (which add character I think) but I will need to address the bottom edges of the sides and they did see some moisture at one point and have blown out a bit and the laminate is lifting..

Once it was clean I plugged it into my step down and it fired up.. I replaced some of the dead marquee globes and coin door globes and checked my voltages.. Still seems to be doing what it needs to be doing power wise :)

On the insides around the monitor and speaker I gave them a fresh coat of black paint and patched up a number of chips on the insides where the control panel goes.

All looking good so far.1af22a1fb22f31ebc5243547eff89d5c.jpg4664ea022143b6a07961b9d870561849.jpg118f4eb3159af07f9925d52b86fb0788.jpg

This afternoon I pulled the monitor out of the other cab and gave it a good clean.. Hopefully it works out of the gates as upon inspection it looks like the chassis will be a pain to take out and do a cap kit on it..

I fitted the PCB from the other cab which surprisingly looks quite clean.

Tomorrow's job, chuck the monitor in and start to work on the control panel.

This afternoon I pulled the monitor out of the other cab and gave it a good clean.. Hopefully it works out of the gates as upon inspection it looks like the chassis will be a pain to take out and do a cap kit on it..

I fitted the PCB from the other cab which surprisingly looks quite clean.

Tomorrow's job, chuck the monitor in and start to work on the control panel.

(anyone got a spare 14" CRT and chassis? emoji14.png )

Keep up the good work.

I have a couple NOS Nanao 14" crt here;).

I can spare one only if needed.Might need ONE for my another BABY PACMAN which i will be restoring soon.

A bit more work on this over the weekend.

I cleaned up the monitor and chassis from the other cab, as well as the PCB and installed them in this one. Was pretty happy that once I fired it up it worked first go. There was a bit of a pulsating on the picture and after a while artifacts started appearing on the game. Probably a combination of transformer and PCB issues.. Still good colour in the monitor which is the main thing.. I will re-address these issues after I have finished with the rest of the cab.

c49e5a7790a5b2c02e2d9f92c1b0e58c.jpgcbbc552bb2fa6fcf3636eb78973e0517.jpg

Also I started to address the base. I got some replacement feet which I put on.

The woodgrain laminate along the bottom edge is starting to lift as it got a bit wet at one point and started to expand.. I am trying a bit of an experiment here.. I put some masking tape along the bottom edge to protect the laminate and then ran wood glue all along the bottom in hopes to prevent it from further disintegration. Then just clamped it to bring it back together again.. Here's hoping.

091eb54488bbed7dc2d9907e6893aa3c.jpg4d5cd9c63981f5af53bce2789de73d0d.jpg

Next job. Strip the control panel and sand back ready for spraying along with a couple of other parts. A bit sad to destroy the original artwork that was screen printed straight onto the metal but its pretty nasty and the new overlay is one piece of vinyl.

5463ddc1149f9cff7fb01f077ac84cdd.jpgd83fee8a8ca1bdbef26e2aa2bfc9efa6.jpg

I have a 13 inch crt and harness that needs reconditioning, if its any use to you.
Thanks mate. I picked up a couple thanks to another member on the weekend so all good now.

• 2 months later...

So I have finally put a bit more time into this.

Finished refurbishing the control panel. I ended up spraying the rusted bolt with a hi gloss rustoleum and they look nice on the new overlay.

Cleaned up the marquee and replaced all the globes.

Put a new kick plate on the bottom of the cab.

Applied new leather textured T-Moulding (like all the Midway cabs had of that era)

Resprayed the control panel/glass mount.

Looks quite good now all re-assembled. I just need to create a new back door and fix a new reproduction monitor bubble that I got from the states. A bit of work on the monitor and chassis may be in order too.

d22111bfc9dc777c8c3cce8712ed4c95.jpgc6f119966fe37105c073230d5d9ea7c8.jpg

Looks amazing, how did the experiment with the glue and clamps work on the lifting laminate?
Yeah it didn't get it down perfectly flat but it held it all in place. Once I put the tmoulding on it was all pretty solid. Definitely stopped more particle board just crumbling away