Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Lenovo Laptop woes - SSD

Hi guys

I have a really cheap small laptop for my work van, its a bit over a year old and cost only about $300.00

Problem is it only has a 30GB SSD and there is not even enough room to do a windows 10 update.

So I bought a 120GB SSD, and did a clone of the existing drive using a USB3 lead

So I cracked it open to swap the drives, . . . . . . But the problem is, there is no drive

The SSD is built into the mobo! WTF

I wanted to merely log this fact so others don't fall for the same problem in the future

Turns out it just needs upgrading using the Micro SD port. It's supposed to take up to 64GB, and give you that amount more space according to the specs

I have read someone tried 128GB in there and it showed up and worked fine

So i will update here, if it works, when it arrives

Anyone else ever come across this strange setup before?

Yep, motherboard soldered SSDs are fairly common in small form factor laptops/netbooks. It's rare for an end user to even think about cracking open a laptop so heaps of them are basically unrepairable and totally non-modifiable these days. As laptops get smaller and thinner, it's becoming more and more common to have specially designed parts that are basically impossible to work on. Apple have been known for this in their last few MacBook models.

Also for the record the battery expanded to the point of real concern

I got it replaced out of warranty period. I mean Expired

It was a 5 day turn around interstate

Not bad there

Customer service is excellent

Edited by dezbaz

Also for the record the battery expanded to the point of real concern

I got it replaced out of warranty period. I mean Expired

It was a 5 day turn around interstate

Not bad there

Customer service is excellent

lucky you spotted it!

• Administrators

I've had my old Toshiba Qosmio for about 8 or 9 years now. It's amazing how much quicker putting a SSD in makes an old laptop.

Had to replace the screen once in its lifetime, just wish I could fine some replacement speakers, ones got a really bad buzz in it.

• Administrators

Yes eMMC hdd's are almost universal on the new cheap end laptops, especially the hybrid models where it's also a tablet.

My daughter has an ASUS that's the same. I recently factory restored it, put in a micro sd card as it has the xpansion slot and then installed all programs on that instead with only yhe OS on the eMMC. Windows 10 handles it fine.

The soldered on drive annoys me but the other thing is they're usually a bit slower too

Brad

I've had my old Toshiba Qosmio for about 8 or 9 years now. It's amazing how much quicker putting a SSD in makes an old laptop.

Had to replace the screen once in its lifetime, just wish I could fine some replacement speakers, ones got a really bad buzz in it.

Will these fit?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toshiba-Satellite-P500-P505-Qosmio-X500-X505-Left-Right-Speaker-A000048550/263649263115?hash=item3d62b87e0b:g:jIUAAOSwcLxYDUYb