Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 35 - Game 8 ~ Flying Shark (closes 10-Jun)

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pessimeister: 639, 640

0015.png.bbd24b4334193009e6d081d33e619a4f.png

The result of an afternoon's gaming. I managed to find a method for the boss (maximised bomb drops basically) but to my utter horror,

I crashed and burned shortly afterwards and found that I had to fight it again with no upgrades! :D It's such a brutal game at times.

The 4th level has a section (after the two train tanks) where I almost always lose at least one life.

Hats off to TIF. What an amazing score. I'd love to hear more about your "counter-stopping" concept before the end of the MGL.

Small improvement that changes absolutely nothing in the standings.

Most of my deaths seem to come from something I don't see until it shoots me. Old age is creeping up on me methinks. And it may be time for that overdue eye test :rolleyes

fshark.png.5c3d444ab52b02ac5a442c2a959293e9.png

Pessimeister: 639, 640

[ATTACH=CONFIG]130602[/ATTACH]

The result of an afternoon's gaming. I managed to find a method for the boss (maximised bomb drops basically) but to my utter horror,

I crashed and burned shortly afterwards and found that I had to fight it again with no upgrades! :D It's such a brutal game at times.

The 4th level has a section (after the two train tanks) where I almost always lose at least one life.

Hats off to TIF. What an amazing score. I'd love to hear more about your "counter-stopping" concept before the end of the MGL.

I know that feeling. So close, yet so far. You had like 1 wave of planes left. Not really much to it. I can get out of most jams if i die and i have every part down even on the hardest difficulty. I don't think i'll ever go for it. The game of 3.5m started off really poorly. I finished loop 2 with 1.1m. 1.3 is ideal. But, that is nonsense. The game lasted about 90 minutes. It gets really boring doing the same thing over and over again when you barely notice a difficulty increase. I'd have to play another 3 hours to stop the score.

I highly doubt i'll try it. I thought about it but...

Pessimeister: 731, 280

0017.png.9312c22a6ff1ce7f0432f71fe85f5554.png

Well, after many repeated attempts, I finally had another decent run on the boss and beat him fair and square, barely surviving the last insane wave of planes in the process. I was surprised to find that the game loops back to level 2, rather than level 1, but I didn't get much further than that. Whilst I'll never get close to TIF's beast of a score, perhaps aiming for a solid million is one final remaining goal.

P.S:

Man, Fok999's actual flying shark absolutely cracked me up! Too funny mate! Good score too.

^^ Nice job. I like how you dealt with many crappy runs before a good one. Makes me feel, once again (road fighter) that i am not the only one.

Congratulations on the 1-loop 1cc.

Yeah. Level 2 (which is nice) cause it's fast paced right off the bat. The only thing that changes each loop is bullet-speed. I believe loop 4 is where the bullets no longer go any faster.

^^ The same genre, yes, vertical scrolling sh'mup, but they are really quite different in style and approach. There's no real rest or "% to score" levels in Flying Shark, as in 1942. Flying Shark also arguably requires more pattern recognition and memorisation of enemy layouts so that you know where you need to fly. 1942 on the other hand is a little less structured and more open to plane placement.

That said, getting to the boss in Flying Shark definitely reminded me of my first time making it to the boss in 1942.

Personally, I love this genre very much. I even have a laminated Raiden poster on my wall and a 1942 postcard courtesy of the wonderful "Artcade" book from Bitmap Books which I recommend to any fans of marquee art. :) https://www.bitmapbooks.co.uk/products/artcade-the-book-of-classic-arcade-game-art