Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MGL 35 - Game 8 ~ Flying Shark (closes 10-Jun)

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    364 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1212 Post(s)

MGL 35 - Game 8 ~ Flying Shark (closes 10-Jun)

Two wings is the current technology …

MGL 35 – Game 8 ~ Flying Shark

Nominated by gamers: @Rat and @Pessimeister

ROM WolfMAME 0.106: fshark (world)

Game Story:
    A vertical scrolling shooter where you fly a biplane, like a Sopwith Camel, equipped with two cannons and smart bombs. You must fly from each runway to the next over jungle, sea and desert destroying tanks, planes and ships.

Score Submissions:
    Please make a new post for each score you post, with your score as the first line of your post, along with a screen shot showing your score and initials.
    This game finishes Sunday 10 June 2018, 7pm Sydney time Australia.

Please make sure your settings are as above. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing. No cheats allowed.

Games can be played at the arcade. You must ensure the arcade operator has the game at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.

GAME 8 … Von Richthofen lookout! …

Last played in the MGL over 9 years ago …

State
    Vic
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)
    Pessimeister: 193, 560

0000.png

Love this game! Cheers to @Rat for also nominating it.

I had a bit of a love affair with several Toaplan shoot 'em ups last summer on RetroUprising. Flying Shark, Fire Shark, Slap Fight, Vimana...even the brutally hard Out Zone and the underrated Twin Hawk. So fiercely challenging, intense yet compelling and rewarding to play when you get immersed in their particular style. The thrill of trying to get just that little bit further on one credit never grows old!

I never played this on an arcade cabinet but was first exposed to it on C64 in around 1999. I loved the soundtrack but never really got far. The bullets could be hard to spot sometimes! Happy to lay down my first score for this event and hope to eventually make a PB.
    Last edited by Pessimeister; 23rd May 2018 at 08:53 PM.

State
    South Australia
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    715 Post(s)

I've played this a few times but not a lot. Definitely the inspiration for Twin Cobra right down to the music.

Not sure how I'll go from here on out. My desktop PC has been totally screwed up by a windows update (lost all my inps from as far back as MGL 14) and I'm currently using my laptop. I can still plug in my joystick but it's not my ideal playing environment. (Oh for f..k's sake Rob. HTFU, build a bridge and get over it.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

State
    Taylors Lakes
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)

IMG_0166.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    Vic
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)
    Pessimeister: 267, 220

0002.png

Did I mention that I love this game? Even when it chews me up and spits me out. Tough as nails, it is. Twin Cobra was also another of my nominations, so between the two of these, I'm quite chuffed that vertical scrolling sh'mup fans get something to really sink their teeth into.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
    Pessimeister: 193, 560

0000.png

Love this game! Cheers to @Rat for also nominating it.

I had a bit of a love affair with several Toaplan shoot 'em ups last summer on RetroUprising. Flying Shark, Fire Shark, Slap Fight, Vimana...even the brutally hard Out Zone and the underrated Twin Hawk. So fiercely challenging, intense yet compelling and rewarding to play when you get immersed in their particular style. The thrill of trying to get just that little bit further on one credit never grows old!

I never played this on an arcade cabinet but was first exposed to it on C64 in around 1999. I loved the soundtrack but never really got far. The bullets could be hard to spot sometimes! Happy to lay down my first score for this event and hope to eventually make a PB.
    Ok never heard of this game but I think Iím most impressed that you were using a c64 as late as 1999?!

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    new jersey
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)

0002.png

State
    Cardiff
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    71 Post(s)
    105680 - used to have this in our halls of residence in 1990. Me and 2 mates could loop this then, but with a shit joystick on MAME I've never come close.

fshark_105680.png

State
    Vic
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    141 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BandontheRun View Post
    Ok never heard of this game but I think I’m most impressed that you were using a c64 as late as 1999?!
    Yep, I loved the ol' Commie. 1999-2001 was also a great period for finding C64 games very cheap in big packages at second hand stores like the Salvos.
    It was pretty much before the advent of ebay and before people really appreciated the value of retro gear. I found my original disk version of Flying Shark at a local garage sale in a big batch of games.
    It still smells like grease to this day.

Hey @RichyS. I see that you've still got 9th place on RetroUprising's board though with 242,070. That must have been awesome to loop the game!

Also, top score by TIFF. That's going to take some beating and goes way past my PB.

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Do we assume the top score at MARP (9,999,990) is a maxout?!

- - - Updated - - -

0000.png

... seems no scores here are under imminent threat from me.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information