Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

IBM 5155 portable repair.

I bought this machine a while back and it wouldn't power on at all. When a psu kicks and turns off straight away It usually means there's a short on one of the power rails. It happened on my 386 too.

I immediately suspected a blown tantalum cap as they tend to short when blown.

Yep there were three dud tantalums, two on the motherboard and one on the video card. Once I found them all and replaced them it booted up fine.

Needless to say I'm one Happy Trev.[emoji16]

I'm not so sure of the portability of this lump though, luggable is the correct term for this one. Luckily I have the carry bag with it so that should make moving it a bit easier.[emoji6]

Cheers Trev. 5cc475b7e5e4431b4d40b446a02f71a2.jpg965508ac9b105cb20ab1f35552cf3bce.jpg6ed49de8c118fb5c3844224614a3ff5f.jpgdd45ddece98a54a5cadfbdc6e390dc43.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Administrators

I had two of these...well "discovered" two of them at one of my old jobs many years ago. They were packed in a storeroom and no one knew who/what/where as they hadn't been used in years but cost a bloody fortune back in the day. Being a tinkerer I got them both going running Dos or PC Dos from memory.

Like you say "portable" was a stretch. They were so damn heavy and the screens are tiny. I can't tell from your photos but the two I had, the keyboard clipped into the case covering the screen and drives and the opposite site had a retractable handle to "carry" the unit around with.

Brad

Yep this is the same. The keyboard folds up and clips in to make the base when you're carrying it and there's a handle the other end

I had two of these...well "discovered" two of them at one of my old jobs many years ago. They were packed in a storeroom and no one knew who/what/where as they hadn't been used in years but cost a bloody fortune back in the day. Being a tinkerer I got them both going running Dos or PC Dos from memory.

Like you say "portable" was a stretch. They were so damn heavy and the screens are tiny. I can't tell from your photos but the two I had, the keyboard clipped into the case covering the screen and drives and the opposite site had a retractable handle to "carry" the unit around with.

Brad

I'm off to MacDonalds with it for the free wifi.[emoji38]

Head to Starbucks to write a novel with the other hipsters. They'll be there tapping away on their iProducts and then bam! You pull this MF out.

Brings back memories of my early days in I.T. I used to lug it home from work and my mates and I would play those primitive DOS games. Great work getting that thing operational, it’ll keep you fit carting it around everywhere!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk