Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Having a "crack" at fixing a Jukebox

Sade_Rock

Question

My first post in the jukebox section but most probably not the last.

Always looking for new challenges and improving my skill set so couldn't help but buy a NSM Consul 120 at a estate auction recently.

Not a lot of cash involved in the purchase so have a bit of fighting fund to see if the old girl can possibly play again.

So have picked it up and got into having a very inexperienced look around the internals.

Watched some Youtube stuff and have pulled the "head" unit out from the magazine to have a gander.

First problem that is immediately noticeable is the record "lifter arm" is stuck in the upright position (see Pics) where it should be in the reclining position.

If anyone has encountered this problem before could you explain the cause of this and what the relevant fix should be.

Also looking for a manual or copy of to suit if any to buy.

IMG_1059.thumb.jpg.a5a004256bbacd17b4ad1d466c92697e.jpgIMG_1060.thumb.jpg.78b895a320831add0d52e2038432846f.jpgIMG_1065.thumb.jpg.5ef33425c32e1c9e8b8d3fd17f5f8148.jpg

13 answers to this question

The power plug could have been pulled as the tone arm was lifting, so it's stayed in that position.

Yeah thought that too, but powering up didn't fix.

Not the tone arm actually it's the small finger that lifts the record up into the clamping mech.

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers mate... could certainly do with a bit of a clean so will get onto that and see if anything loosens up.

I have restored a couple of old jukes. It is common that parts are stuck fast. The old oil and grease dries out and binds them up.

I take them outside onto a bench and drown the moving parts in WD40.

Let the WD40 soak in and try to get things moving manually before adding any power. Get every moving part going back and forth.

I also use degreaser (be very careful of electrical parts) and wash down with soapy water. Add lots of oil as soon as the water dries off.

Do not use any oil (or spray lube) with silicon as you will regret it later when it gums up again.

Good luck, it will be a great project.

Gordo...

Is this the one i said to check if it's working before bidding on it? Careful around the transformers

yeah same one mate... talked to the auctioneer prior and he did tell me it had issues.

Price paid reflected that so plenty to gain not much to lose scenario. Always treat transformers with great respect.

- - - Updated - - -

I have restored a couple of old jukes. It is common that parts are stuck fast. The old oil and grease dries out and binds them up.

I take them outside onto a bench and drown the moving parts in WD40.

Let the WD40 soak in and try to get things moving manually before adding any power. Get every moving part going back and forth.

I also use degreaser (be very careful of electrical parts) and wash down with soapy water. Add lots of oil as soon as the water dries off.

Do not use any oil (or spray lube) with silicon as you will regret it later when it gums up again.

Good luck, it will be a great project.

Gordo...

Thanks for the tips Gordo, these things really do gum up with dust, nictotine and grime. Wd40 seems the go to solution so will get medieval on the mechs today.

Having a ball regardless...nothing like working on something that's NOT a pinball for a nice change of pace.

Do be careful with WD-40 & RP-7 both are a kerosene/machine oil mix and very flammable. I had a fire start on one of my EM pins that ignited the WD-40 from a small relay spark. I put it out quickly but it could have been nasty if I wasn't there when it lit up.

Do be careful with WD-40 & RP-7 both are a kerosene/machine oil mix and very flammable. I had a fire start on one of my EM pins that ignited the WD-40 from a small relay spark. I put it out quickly but it could have been nasty if I wasn't there when it lit up.

I’ll second this advice avoid WD40 unless your going to thoroughly wash the mech after you free it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm#lube

http://www.pinrepair.com/em/ccfire3.jpg

Thanks Andrew, I do know not to use it for lube, I was cleaning oxide off some blade switches & I thought I had removed it all. I was wrong.
That wasn't directed at you, just illustrating the point you were making.