Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Real Pinball is here to stay

My thoughts:

1.If its big and bulky, it might as well be a pinball. Why bother playing a arcade machine? Can do that on a xbox or mame etc.

2. Virtual pinball? Nup! Its not the same. I can play that on my xbox.

3. Pinball machine made in the last few years? Not my thing Soz. Way to much going on. I have not honestly played a machine that I truely loved made within the last 10 years.

4. DMD machines from the late 80s to 90s for the win. Throw in the odd EM for the ding.

5. New young generation and pinball? Hmmmmmm. Cant see it being 1985 ever again with a pin at every corner milk bar..

DEBATE!

Lol no they aren't like a pinball machine, they do not test for skill (stupidity yeah maybe lol). They are rigged for % profit. They just groom the next generation of pokie addicts IMHO.

Will the real skill testers please stand up! ... yep, it's Pinball!! ... :D

If they weren’t so bloody dear you might see them in every corner shop, but then again when was the last time you saw a corner milk bar.

Because the town I live in they are non existent.

And as far as machines go pre 80s for me all the way, that’s the period when pinball was really in its hey days I feel sorry for anyone that missed it[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they weren’t so bloody dear you might see them in every corner shop, but then again when was the last time you saw a corner milk bar.

Because the town I live in they are non existent.

And as far as machines go pre 80s for me all the way, that’s the period when pinball was really in its hey days I feel sorry for anyone that missed it[emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a US dinner themed take away here. Part of me was tempted to see if they wanted to site my Pioneer there.

We have a US dinner themed take away here. Part of me was tempted to see if they wanted to site my Pioneer there.

Diner and pinball like peas in a pod, it’s meant to be [emoji3][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diner and pinball like peas in a pod, it’s meant to be [emoji3][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

yer I had a pinball when I owned my burger shop, it made pretty good coin.

When I sold the shop I thought the new owners were stupid not to have bought the pinball as well. instead they put an Aldi juke box in its place which looks like shit and makes no money. lol

turns out I was right, a year later the pinball was worth three times as much lol they would have had a cheap pinball

I agree I just love the 90's pinballs I think they are the most entertaining (feel, rules, sounds etc.). I enjoy playing a modern pin from time to time, but doubt I will ever own one.

There certainly is a pinball renaissance in the USA, but it is still a pretty niche thing, certainly not mainstream and probably never will be again. Also I wonder how long the market will be able to support the new manufacturers like Jersey Jack. Heighway has already gone under.

Also my 90's pins are like an old car, I know how to fix them or I can learn on youtube ... no way I could fix a modern pin. I can't even see the components even with my glasses on :o and I sure as hell can't afford to pay a tech to keep my machines going.

Was at @Glenn70 meet meat the other day and only the 90's style pinball's broke down yes agreed great fun to play but they are always breaking down. The new pins did not miss a beat. I love both and own both and the older pins always have problems.

ATM more value for buck on the newer pins the old ones are just over priced.

Was at @Glenn70 meet meat the other day and only the 90's style pinball's broke down yes agreed great fun to play but they are always breaking down. The new pins did not miss a beat. I love both and own both and the older pins always have problems.

ATM more value for buck on the newer pins the old ones are just over priced.

I think that depends on the individual pin mate.

Mine are late 80's pins, and I haven't had to lift the playfield in the last 5 years.

it would be a bit rough to say all older pins are problems, it would come down to the individual pin I would say the same with new, there are new lemons

Pinballs machine are like a skilltesters. You have a slight shimmy (Shake from the hip and nudge) in steering the destiny of the silver ball. #TILT

A smart guy would put wheels on a pinball so it could easierly be moved. That is the downfall of pinballs as well as no real meaningful changes in design for decades.

Every shop that had pinballs quickly changed to video machines and now skilltesters and what have these both got in common?...Wheels making them easy to move.

What else weighing 130kgs has no wheels?. Maybe a change in cabinet design similar to Whoa Nellie with wheels would do the trick?

http://www.ipdb.org/images/5863/image-19.jpg

A smart guy would put wheels on a pinball so it could easierly be moved. That is the downfall of pinballs as well as no real meaningful changes in design for decades.

Every shop that had pinballs quickly changed to video machines and now skilltesters and what have these both got in common?...Wheels making them easy to move.

What else weighing 130kgs has no wheels?. Maybe a change in cabinet design similar to Whoa Nellie with wheels would do the trick?

http://www.ipdb.org/images/5863/image-19.jpg

A motorized pinball machine wold be a good idea

@jason1 how often do you play them? I have put over 1500 games on my Metallica in a year. Have only broke sparky's feet and that was in the first month so obviously very unlucky with the mold and got a replacement with warranty. Nothing wrong since.

If i put that many games on my WH20 or FT or Apollo 13 i would be forever fixing them. I have only put 100 on my FT (Restored bought from an AA member) and that is killing me with problems cost me more now than an Iron Maiden pro. For me mate New over old any day of the week. Up the Irons!

@jason1

If i put that many games on my WH20 or FT or Apollo 13 i would be forever fixing them. I have only put 100 on my FT (Restored bought from an AA member) and that is killing me with problems cost me more now than an Iron Maiden pro. For me mate New over old any day of the week. Up the Irons!

I would suggest to much emphasis on appearance and not enough on reliability is the problem if that is the case.

There is a lot of poor quality new parts out there as well. Sometimes it is best to repair, modify, swap for another brand or clean old parts rather than buying new "swap over parts".

That explains if you are experiencing mechanical problems.

If you are having electrical problems you really need to dig deeper but as a general rule, any machine can usually be made to bootup by wiggling the wires but playing the machine will also "wiggle" those same wires.

Its been to a tech 3 times in 3 months all problems been fixed and all were well beyond my knowledge. Pretty sure all boards are original and been repaired or looked over by an AA member on here. My new issue seems like a sound issue sound goes to max volume during a game so will be sending board for repair.

Just have not had these problems with new machines.

@jason1 how often do you play them? I have put over 1500 games on my Metallica in a year. Have only broke sparky's feet and that was in the first month so obviously very unlucky with the mold and got a replacement with warranty. Nothing wrong since.

Id hate to guess how many times they have been played, Allot is all I can say

I always found if they are fixed correctly from the word go they tend tobe pretty reliable. I typically spend a day going through a machine checking everything, cleaning everything when I get them and usually good after that for a long time.

I`m sure you don't feel and look at things the same way today as you did 20 years ago.

You would always go back to what you were brought up with that includes pinball, modern machines wouldn't do anything for you but an SS machine might.

Its been to a tech 3 times in 3 months all problems been fixed and all were well beyond my knowledge. Pretty sure all boards are original and been repaired or looked over by an AA member on here. My new issue seems like a sound issue sound goes to max volume during a game so will be sending board for repair.

Just have not had these problems with new machines.

I'm glad I'm not your tech. Those return visits would have cost me not you but in saying that, a tech can only repair what is in his face so if you only have a board, you can only repair a board.

I personally like the whole machine with just a quick run down on what the owner has seen.

The quick rundown is solely so I can try and force the machine to do that when I have it in front of me.

The rest of the faults are usually generic to that machine or brand or the machine tells you in the way of tests conducted and it also isn't unusual I find potential problems before they have occurred which is handy considering failures are at my cost.

I also like no time restrictions when working on a machine. I'll play at least 50 games through it without an issue before I like to return them that way I know it "should" have some reliability.

@Autosteve Sorry mate i may have worded that wrong i took the whole machine to him 3 times. Yes he didn't charge me on the return visits as he kept his word when i asked how much it would cost, but in that he now has my loyalty. He has fixed my WH20 also and that has not missed a beat the best WH20 i have played. I sat there and played about 20 games for him on the FT took it home and more problems within the week Eventually it will play better than new with the amount of dollars i am pumping into this beast.

I do not have time running around with older machines maybe why i am leaning to newer titles as they do not take up my time and i have more time enjoying them.

Most of my games are early 90s pins and while they do break down I don't think they do so at an excessive rate. I think the only reason we're not seeing more failures on a newer game is because it is new. Time will tell.

But in relation to the original topic, I think things have slowed down a lot in the last year. It may be here to stay for a while but things seem to be easing a little. Not quite as much fervour as there was a couple of years ago.

@Autosteve Sorry mate i may have worded that wrong i took the whole machine to him 3 times. Yes he didn't charge me on the return visits as he kept his word when i asked how much it would cost, but in that he now has my loyalty. He has fixed my WH20 also and that has not missed a beat the best WH20 i have played. I sat there and played about 20 games for him on the FT took it home and more problems within the week Eventually it will play better than new with the amount of dollars i am pumping into this beast.

I do not have time running around with older machines maybe why i am leaning to newer titles as they do not take up my time and i have more time enjoying them.

Aye, nothing wrong with preferring to play them rather than fixing them and I can only imagine your frustration when you need to rely on others.

Lets hope you get some good game time now.