State
      vic
      Mentioned
      4 Post(s)
      Quoted
      57 Post(s)
      Australia

Pandora’s box 5

Is anyone running a Pandora’s box 5? Are they as good as running a mame pc? Any good bad points? Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade
      Insert coin to play

is Drunk Again

Amused

State
      south australia
      Mentioned
      22 Post(s)
      Quoted
      400 Post(s)
      Australia
      If you want switch on and play regularly with no hicups.... then these are great value for money.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Frank_fjs is offline Geek it till it MHz
      is on PCE overdrive!

Piratey

State
      Adelaide
      Mentioned
      30 Post(s)
      Quoted
      451 Post(s)
      Australia
      Great for the price and plug 'n play.

Definitely not on par with a Mame PC as far as power, emulation quality and customizability. Of course the trade-off is that a PC will set you back more money, space and require lots of time and tinkering to set up correctly.
      SEGA love: click | Nintendo love: click
      PC Engine love: click | Latest retro finds: click

This user has no status.

Amused

State
      WA
      Mentioned
      3 Post(s)
      Quoted
      16 Post(s)
      Australia
      I agree with what others have said, for the price and simplicity, Pandora's Boxes are great value as they are plug and play. Obviously MAME on PC (or even Raspberry Pi 3+) can perform better with some games, however will cost more and involve alot more time & configuration to setup.

Be wary as there are many clones of the original Pandora's Box (ironic considering the original is a emulator of arcade games).

3A Game Store is the original manufacturer of Pandora's Box. I have always purchased directly from their Aliexpress store with no problems. You may be able to purchase from other resellers, but you do run the risk of receiving a lower quality clone. Their store is here:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/937838

The original Pandora's Box 5 supports 960 in 1. Any Pandora's Box 5 advertised as supporting more games such as a 5S, 5+ etc is a clone/fake. This wasn't too much of an issue with previous versions of Pandora's Box ie 4, 3 etc as all manufacturers basically used the same CPU etc. However, with the new version 5, 3A Games have used upgraded newer CPU & more RAM for better game emulation, whilst also supporting 720P HD resolution output.

I have both the original 3A Games version 5 and 4S (815 in 1) and the performance increase in the 5 over the 4S is noticeable eg it now plays Mortal Kombat without any slowdown etc.

Just be wary that original Pandora's Box version 5 is 720P output and does not currently support lower resolution CRT type displays. So the boxes do not work in low resolution arcade machines via JAMMA. They do support VGA or HDMI connections to higher resolution LCD screens, monitors, tvs etc. Clone version 5S, 5+ MAY work on JAMMA lower res screens (I don't have one so cannot comment), but do not have the better CPU/RAM as mentioned above.

One final thing to note is 3A Games in order to become more "legitimate" with copyright now no longer supplies Pandora's Box version 5 containing any games. However they include a USB thumb drive and then email you a link containing a ZIP file to download the ROMs. After which you simply copy across to said USB thumb drive on your PC, before then plugging it into the Pandora's Bpx version 5 to use. More info here from their Aliexpress ad:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...845182085.html

3A Games also sell a "console" version that plugs in via HDMI to your TV and includes arcade wireless controllers:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...813775619.html

Let me know if you have any other questions as I have used these systems for years and find the original versions to be quite reliable and a cheap plug and play alternative to MAME.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
      Quoted
      41 Post(s)
      Australia
      I bought a clone Pandoras Box 5S from aliespress and replaced my MAME PC with it.

Personally I prefer it to the MAME PC as with Windows 7 Home I needed to keep changing the password on my arcade account every 90 days. I was using a boot hack on Windows to prevent the user being able to exit out of MAME.

MAME was also a pain in the neck with getting working ROMS only in the list of games as often the working games relied on non working ROMS, etc and when you download an archive sifting through it is a lot of work. Whereas the Pandoras Box all the ROMS are in a working condition.

One thing though that I found with my clone and MAME is you might want to sort through to turn off adult games if kids are going to be playing. My kids found a Bust a Move clone that they loved but I didn't realise that when they finished a stage a picture not appropriate fora 6 year old would pop up on the screen for their entertainment

is probably slacking off from
      studying

Happy

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      46 Post(s)
      Quoted
      738 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by benird View Post
      I bought a clone Pandoras Box 5S from aliespress and replaced my MAME PC with it.

Personally I prefer it to the MAME PC as with Windows 7 Home I needed to keep changing the password on my arcade account every 90 days. I was using a boot hack on Windows to prevent the user being able to exit out of MAME.

MAME was also a pain in the neck with getting working ROMS only in the list of games as often the working games relied on non working ROMS, etc and when you download an archive sifting through it is a lot of work. Whereas the Pandoras Box all the ROMS are in a working condition.

One thing though that I found with my clone and MAME is you might want to sort through to turn off adult games if kids are going to be playing. My kids found a Bust a Move clone that they loved but I didn't realise that when they finished a stage a picture not appropriate fora 6 year old would pop up on the screen for their entertainment
      Bubble 2000. The name doesn't really give it away, does it?
      Live on Twitch, Tuesdays 6pm - 9pm + other random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
      Quoted
      41 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by ajfclark View Post
      Bubble 2000. The name doesn't really give it away, does it?
      That's the game yes! I thought it was a simple clone of Puzzle Bobble, which I guess it is, but yes, no indication of the adult nature and the fact that you need to play an entire stage to even find out threw me as normally you can pick the adult games from the menu.

studying

Happy

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      46 Post(s)
      Quoted
      738 Post(s)
      Australia
      That's the game yes! I thought it was a simple clone of Puzzle Bobble, which I guess it is, but yes, no indication of the adult nature and the fact that you need to play an entire stage to even find out threw me as normally you can pick the adult games from the menu.
      It's gold. Gives me flashbacks to being an impatient teenager with a 33.6k modem.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      7 Post(s)
      Quoted
      41 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by ajfclark View Post
      It's gold. Gives me flashbacks to being an impatient teenager with a 33.6k modem.
      HAHAHA! For sure!

studying

Happy

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      46 Post(s)
      Quoted
      738 Post(s)
      Australia
      HAHAHA! For sure! lol
      I think it'll be like @ozimoose 's reaction when he finally gets access to the for sale section and finds out it's not really that interesting.
      Live on Twitch, Tuesdays 6pm - 9pm + other random times | twitch.tv/ajfclark | You can vote for what machine I play, click here, follow my channel and type '!vote' in chat for details.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information