Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

3DO FZ-1 Arcade unit Bios

wyldcat34

Question

Hi Guys,

Weird one I know, as these are essentially game consoles, but there are a couple of games that run from an Arcade unit version of the 3DO, I have a couple. However, finding the unit or the Bios in question seems to be a near on impossibility.

I was wondering if anyone has ever seen a dump of the Bios? Apparently the only difference in the units is a tc544000af-150 installed with its own bios and a jumper setting. I would very much like to try to convert a 3DO retail to an arcade unit to play these old, crappy but enjoyable games.

Cheers!

Is it bios supported in mame that should make it pretty widely available.

Can the game be modified to work on other bios ?

Hi Laxity,

I don't believe it is in MAME, from what I have read the Arcade Chip has not been dumped. If it has I have not seen or found any information pertaining to it.

Cheers

Hi Laxity,

I don't believe it is in MAME, from what I have read the Arcade Chip has not been dumped. If it has I have not seen or found any information pertaining to it.

Cheers

The chip goes on the mobo beside the BIOS, as in the Japan region consoles.

It is not a complete BIOS, but a supplimentry BIOS. Every console has the same BIOS which gives Euro/USA region, and Japan/arcade consoles have the extra chip in there, which if removed makes the console a standard Euro/USA english console.

This applies to both Sanyo and all Panasonic models, im not familiar with the internals of the Goldstar. The Sanyo consoles all have the extra chip fitted, and all Japan region Panasonics have it too. English regions have a blank spot where the extra chip goes.

So having said all that, i should add that you can put the arcade chip in ANY Panasonic or Sanyo 3DO and itll work fine.

Cool thanks! I'd looked up and found that appeared to be the case, but getting the code to write is the issue!

Cool thanks! I'd looked up and found that appeared to be the case, but getting the code to write is the issue!

Yeah i dont have the chip for that, i have a couple of the Japan chips ive pulled out of consoles, there is a couple games that dont work with that chip in there.

Yeah i dont have the chip for that, i have a couple of the Japan chips ive pulled out of consoles, there is a couple games that dont work with that chip in there.

When you say you have a couple of the chips you have pulled out - do you mean the arcade BIOS chips?

I've got a copy of the arcade bios. I just got a hold of it this week from someone who's been sitting on it for a few years and hadn't found anyone who was interested. I recently took over maintenance of the 4DO libretro core and wanted to add arcade support if I could. Unfortunately the arcade systems used custom controls and are currently unplayable on the emulator.

I'll be releasing the rom soon but want to do some more testing first. Attempt to confirm it's authenticity and compatibility (as well as take a shot at figuring out the controls). I did find that the FZ-10 bios with the decryption patch also allowed the arcade games to run. It's possible that it's a quirk of the emulator and may not work on the real console. If you're planning on taking a retail machine and replacing the rom you might want to consider trying the patched rom first.

As far as I know the only 3DO arcade games were Shootout At Old Tucson, Orbatak, Mad Dog 2, and Beavis & Butt-head. Anything I'm missing? I've tested the first two but haven't come across the latter two.

Do you have the custom controller boards? AFAIK the games aren't playable without them. At some point it'd be great to get those controller boards and see if the controller protocol can be reverse engineered.

Awesome! Let me know if you can rip that Bios as I would love to get one written. I have Shootout at Old Tucson and the Original Laserdisk Mad Dog Mcree in one box, I have yet to 100% sort if I have all components, but will be doing that shortly, though from initial glances they both look to be complete.

Cheers Trapexit!

I've got a copy of the arcade bios. I just got a hold of it this week from someone who's been sitting on it for a few years and hadn't found anyone who was interested. I recently took over maintenance of the 4DO libretro core and wanted to add arcade support if I could. Unfortunately the arcade systems used custom controls and are currently unplayable on the emulator.

I'll be releasing the rom soon but want to do some more testing first. Attempt to confirm it's authenticity and compatibility (as well as take a shot at figuring out the controls). I did find that the FZ-10 bios with the decryption patch also allowed the arcade games to run. It's possible that it's a quirk of the emulator and may not work on the real console. If you're planning on taking a retail machine and replacing the rom you might want to consider trying the patched rom first.

As far as I know the only 3DO arcade games were Shootout At Old Tucson, Orbatak, Mad Dog 2, and Beavis & Butt-head. Anything I'm missing? I've tested the first two but haven't come across the latter two.

Do you have the custom controller boards? AFAIK the games aren't playable without them. At some point it'd be great to get those controller boards and see if the controller protocol can be reverse engineered.

Drug wars was also on arcade CD with a 3DO as well i believe, and possibly Last Bounty Hunter.

The Last Bounty Hunter and Drug Wars were both released on the retail system for sure. If there are 3DO arcade versions I've not come across them. I've not found Mad Dog 2.

Thing is... since the arcade versions require controllers which we don't have details on those games won't be playable. I believe others have figured out how the mouse and light gun work on the retail system but they haven't released the details.

Went through the box last night. I also have the Mad Dog II CD-Rom in there, and 3 orange light guns which are from Old Tucson. Didn't see any amp dongle.

The Last Bounty Hunter and Drug Wars were both released on the retail system for sure. If there are 3DO arcade versions I've not come across them. I've not found Mad Dog 2.

Thing is... since the arcade versions require controllers which we don't have details on those games won't be playable. I believe others have figured out how the mouse and light gun work on the retail system but they haven't released the details.

"Has Arcade written on CD."

Mind ripping it so I can test it with the arcade bios?

"I don't suppose there is any way to make these games work on the konami m2?"

The M2 is an entirely different system from a hardware perspective. It wasn't backwards compatible.

I have played Mad Dog 2 on 3DO in the arcades years ago, pretty sure ive seen the game on ebay a few years back too.

It was 100% identical to playing on the home console.

I have all the home versions on 3DO, id love to have the lazerdisc versions though.

Anything specific needed to rip? Or just straight in to imageburn to make iso?

"Has Arcade written on CD."

Mind ripping it so I can test it with the arcade bios?

"I don't suppose there is any way to make these games work on the konami m2?"

The M2 is an entirely different system from a hardware perspective. It wasn't backwards compatible.

If you're willing to share a dump of MD2 arcade I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm working on lightgun support and would like to test with different games. See if the different arcade games use same or different controllers.

No problems dumping it, its all about the digging out. Will see if I can tonight, probably cant but if not tomorrow should be good.

If you're willing to share a dump of MD2 arcade I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm working on lightgun support and would like to test with different games. See if the different arcade games use same or different controllers.