Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Issues with a BVM-2000AP and need a Service Manual

Claude

Question

Hi Guys,

Managed to get this cool and heavy (50KG) 1987 vintage Sony BVM-2000AP 20" CRT monitor (possibly the 1st model BVM) for nothing when I bought 2 x PVM-2730QM's recently and it has some issues which I'm hoping can be fixed but don't have much idea on where to start so will be going slow learning as I go. I also haven't been able to find a service manual anywhere so if someone has one or has access to online manual sites that might have one please let me know.

The main issue is that the picture is blooming quite a bit and there are diagonal retrace lines (?) and the Overload indicator is lit and Tally light is on.

Any insight into what the problem might be or how to fix would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

IMG_8034.JPGIMG_8038.JPGIMG_8039.JPGIMG_8037.JPGIMG_8042.JPGIMG_8046.JPGIMG_8050.JPG

Sorry, I can't remember how to rotate images but once I figure it out I'll fix them.

- - - Updated - - -

Some pics of the internals - SMD free zone!

IMG_8223.JPGIMG_8257.JPGIMG_8207.JPGIMG_8057.JPGIMG_8055.JPGIMG_8053.JPGIMG_8054.JPG

Edited by Claude

9 answers to this question

First thing might be to turn the screen pot down on the flyback - unless it's not on the flyback. Some of these Sony sets had focus or screen moved elsewhere like on the 2730's. The overload goes off when the set thinks the beam current is too high, and if it gets too bad it acts as the x-ray protect, i think. Either way it shuts the set down. If that happens you may need to reseat those inputs cards in the last photo to get it to turn on again.

You might also try dialing down the B+, assuming you can find it :(

These are the oldest model BVM's i'm aware of, they appear every so often in Aus, never seen them elsewhere though i don't know why. I've never seen the service manual either, save a low res scan of the front page that had been photocopied so many times it was illegible, and right now i can't even find that. I hope it turns up though.

My BVM-2010p is the next model along, one step newer, and it looks very similar. It actually takes ages to show a picture, then when it does it's covered in retrace lines like your photos, then ten seconds later they've faded and the image is nice. It's not new so I've set the brightness and contract pretty high, and on a full white screen the overload light comes on, but nothing bad has happened yet, it's never shut down.

http://www.retrorgb.com/files/monitormanual/Sony_BVM-2010p_Operation_And_Service_Manual.pdf

The inputs cards look very similar - see the table on page 6 and 7, and the descriptions on page 8. I'm not sure what this might mean though. There's a few threads on the shmups hardware subforum with BVM-2010P problems, and a few fixes. I'd search on there, and also look for the BVM-2015P (same set, lower line count and less option in the drawer), and BVM-1910 (US model, different default inputs cards), and the BVM-1915. The 2011, 2016, 1911 and 1916 are iterations with an OSD, slightly newer, might help as well.

Thanks for that. Yep, I’ve previously downloaded manuals for the later models but they seem just different enough to not be quite helpfull enough unfortunstely.

Where abouts is the Screen pot on yours and mine only seems to have a Focus pot (maybe on the HVR)? And I’ll search again for B+

Mine isn’t shutting down yet so hopefully that feature is in there and I’m not getting Xray’d

And I’ve seen these mentioned in Europe / UK in google searches. And the 1900A US non PAL model in the US.

Thanks

I also haven't been able to find a service manual anywhere

basically the machine is older that pdf's are .. so the file was never made when it was new. unless it was scanned later by some whacko manual scanning nut like me it wont exist.

your best bet might be a paper one on usa ebay?

basically the machine is older that pdf's are .. so the file was never made when it was new. unless it was scanned later by some whacko manual scanning nut like me it wont exist.

your best bet might be a paper one on usa ebay?

I just missed an unsold auction for a PVM-1900A paper one in the US a month or so ago so I unsuccessfully followed up with the seller to see if he still had it and I now find out he is not longer an ebay member even though he’s been on there for years - just my luck :lol

- - - Updated - - -

No luck finding SCREEN adjustment. This is what I’m looking at. A pot labelled HSTAT is next to anode cable and Focus is on a seperate board above and to the left.

0AAD07E3-9DDF-4057-8627-C7CA4DA3CDDC.jpeg

Edited by Claude

Sony BVM-2000AP manual

Hi, i am in the UK, and just saw your post regarding the BVM-2000AP.

The first incarnation of this monitor, the BVM-2000P, came out in 1982 !!! The AP model cant accept the auto setup adapter option, to use with a probe.

I had four of these to service in 1998, and 3 out of the four had tired tubes. The other one had a psu issue.

I have since obtained another one, from my old college, which is stored in my garage. It works as i remember, and i have the manuals for bother versions of this monitor-and possibly a spare (i need to have a look).

A friend of mine has one of these that came from Sony service. It has very low hours, and a fantastic picture.

There is no switch mode psu in these monitors, so they weigh a ton, but easier to work on.

Your issue with the flyback lines sounds like an issue with the BK board, which sits about the tube. There are a lot of discreet components and feedback loops here, but should be repairable-you will need the manual.

Thanks,

Retrotechie

The first incarnation of this monitor, the BVM-2000P, came out in 1982 !!! The AP model cant accept the auto setup adapter option, to use with a probe.

I had four of these to service in 1998, and 3 out of the four had tired tubes. The other one had a psu issue.

I have since obtained another one, from my old college, which is stored in my garage. It works as i remember, and i have the manuals for bother versions of this monitor-and possibly a spare (i need to have a look).

A friend of mine has one of these that came from Sony service. It has very low hours, and a fantastic picture.

There is no switch mode psu in these monitors, so they weigh a ton, but easier to work on.

Your issue with the flyback lines sounds like an issue with the BK board, which sits about the tube. There are a lot of discreet components and feedback loops here, but should be repairable-you will need the manual.

Thanks,

Retrotechie

Thanks for that, very interesting.

I will look at the BK board for anything obvious at this stage but as you said the manual is needed.

My brother has the original brochure for the BVM-2000P and here are some pics of it

BVM-2000p 3.jpgBVM-2000p 2.jpgBVM-2000p 1.jpg

Thanks,

Retrotechie

Just wondering if you happened to find a spare manual? I'm still struggling to find one and would like to try and get this glorious beast going.

Hi Claude

Have been thinking about your post all these years and finally found exactly what you're after - the genuine Sony service manual for BVM-2000AP.

It's personally valuable to me and can't stand to loose it but happy to loan it for say 6 months and you return it via post.  Will send you a PM also.  

I am really fond of the BVM-20xx line!

• Like 1
  • Love 1