Thread: The Last Starfigher Scratch Build

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    503 Post(s)

The Last Starfigher Scratch Build

I've been wanting to build one for a while and have a folder full of info needed to get a realistic looking replica built.
    I have all the files and artwork from the Rogue Synapse site and have the game up and running on a spare PC.

http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/last_starfighter.php

I don't want to start on this until all other projects and jobs for other people are done first as it's a huge undertaking so it'll be at least six months before I can begin but in the meantime I'll be planning out what's needed to get it done right.
    The cabinet design is quite complex and from the research I've done a lot of panels need to be fabricated as I go as there are no complete plans available.
    I have a stack of images from other peoples cab builds which will give me enough info to work from, I don't believe anyone here in Australia has built one yet.
    I'd love to use a 26" or 29" CRT but I have a feeling it won't fit (front to back), the cab is 28" wide, may have to go with an 26" LCD running in 4:3.
    This will be by far the most challenging cab build I'll ever undertake.

Here's some of the images from other peoples cab builds.

Last edited by Kaizen; 24th June 2018 at 07:58 PM.
    Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

State
    Victoria
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1042 Post(s)
    Hell yes!

Makes me want to watch the movie.

Will watch this with great interest, thanks for sharing.

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1326 Post(s)
    The game was pretty good but the American made craftwood cabs were absolute rubbish.

The first thing to fail were the back casters tearing out of the wood.

The machines were then dragged under the head but that made the head to lower cabinet connection fail.

@Kaizen , I would try to replicate the shape of the original cab but certainly not copy how it was built with all the individual parts.

It was all the little parts glued together and the use of shit wood that made the cab such a horrible machine that was killed off way before it had stopped earning good money.

May I suggest you build the cab as if Taito would have built it.

Taitoisation, lighter, stronger, better.

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Quoted
    461 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cursed View Post
    Makes me want to watch the movie.
    Oh boy, now i need to as well

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1415 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
    The game was pretty good but the American made craftwood cabs were absolute rubbish.

The first thing to fail were the back casters tearing out of the wood.

The machines were then dragged under the head but that made the head to lower cabinet connection fail.

@Kaizen , I would try to replicate the shape of the original cab but certainly not copy how it was built with all the individual parts.

It was all the little parts glued together and the use of shit wood that made the cab such a horrible machine that was killed off way before it had stopped earning good money.

Eh ? The game never went into production, it was pulled by Atari before it was even finished. Maybe you are thinking of another game.

Looks like an awesome and iconic project Kaizen! How will you handle the game-win scenario where aliens actually come to earth to recruit you ?

State
    Mulgoa, NSW
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1089 Post(s)
    Greetings Starfighter. You have been recruited by the star league to defend the frontier against Xur an the Ko-Dan armada.

Mum bought the video from the rental place when I was a kid, probably watched it 50 times. Love it!
    The Barn - 2020 - watch this space
    SHPC - 2020 - Pukekohe

State
    nsw
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    390 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleazius View Post
    Greetings Starfighter. You have been recruited by the star league to defend the frontier against Xur an the Ko-Dan armada.

Mum bought the video from the rental place when I was a kid, probably watched it 50 times. Love it!
    Ive got a vhs copy of it as well
    live between the flip and the tilt

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    503 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post

Two of the builds I've seen have used MDF and Chipboard, I plan to use mostly ply for the build.

Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    Eh ? The game never went into production, it was pulled by Atari before it was even finished.
    Looks like an awesome and iconic project Kaizen! How will you handle the game-win scenario where aliens actually come to earth to recruit you ?
    The game got to about 75% completion before Atari canned it, I read a post saying that Namco took the code and developed it into Starblade.

Quote Originally Posted by oldhank View Post
    Ive got a vhs copy of it as well
    I have the 1080p DVD rip but also had the VHS version before throwing it out in a clean up many years ago.
    Last edited by Kaizen; 30th April 2018 at 09:38 PM.
    Namco Starblade - Taito Cocktail 14" x 3, 20" x 2 - NZ SI PtII Upright - Chase HQ DX, Taito Top Speed - Taito Grand Champion - Taito Safari - LAI SI Head to Head Cocktail - SI Cocktail Clone x 2, Pong Clone x 3

State
    Wimmera, Victoria
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2016 Post(s)
    So is there a Starfighter game PCB or PC game out there. I've never seen one, I loved the movie though. I thought that spaceship car was the best thing I ever saw.

Gemini2544's 4th Pinball meet Saturday 21/03/2020

State
    Brisbane, QLD
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Quoted
    503 Post(s)

No PCB ever made, it's a fan made PC game that is reasonably close to the game play in the movie.
    Link to the game download...

http://www.roguesynapse.com/games/la...tarfighter.zip
    Last edited by Kaizen; 30th April 2018 at 09:38 AM.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information