Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The Last Starfigher Scratch Build

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's fixed the inputs to IC2 (now LOW and switching HI) but now I'm thinking I just need to buffer the six inputs (with diodes?) and do away with IC2??

I would keep the hex invertor chip in the circuit. It will give a nice TTL level snappy input to your flip flop. Im having to add a lot of these as input buffers for my Battle Pinny project to give a better input signal to the processors.

I've kept the Hex Inverter but done away with the 2-Input NOR at IC2 and fitted six 1N914 diodes to act as buffers, re-routed the SET on the 4013 which I had tied LO and connected it to the CLOCK input.

The circuit now works correctly.

Updated Schematic

KuiTulv.jpg

PDF: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1kXVzWYiFSSTOSKUKQaP5NKibZFSgroEZ

Design Spark Schematic: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vhXbpwU4fopDzEQjHqoDQLcRN5p9XEWM

Edited by Kaizen

The CMOS chips can drive the LEDS in your switches direct. No need to use driver transistors and seeing as then they would be connected to the chip gates direct, you can have LEDs in one direction that come on when the gate is LOW and LEDs in the other direction that come on when the gate is HIGH.

You would just need dropping resistors to suit the LEDs being powered off the chip supply voltage with I think you are using 12v so that would be 570ohm 1/4watt resistors in series with each of the LEDs to run on the 12vDC.

What exactly do you want the LEDs to do?

Looking at your diagram it looks miles to complex for what you are doing but I may be wrong that is why I am asking.

I have fitted incandescent globes to the switches.

UX9bCwi.jpg

What I want to do is have three momentary switches that only light when you press it to indicate which weapon is active, then switch off when you press one of the other switches...

If the 'Laser" is active and lit, when I press 'Photon" the the light on the 'Laser' switch will go out and the light on the 'Photon" switch will come on, if I press the 'Particle' switch the 'Photon' switch light will got out and the 'Particle' switch will light up.

I'll have a look at how much current the incandescent globes draw and maybe I can get away with a transistor only.

Cyvw0JU.png

I did away with the relays, I had a stack of 2N5088 transistors on hand so I thought I'd see if they would power up the globes on their own. After testing it out the transistors don't even get warm so they will do the trick.

The board's a bit of a dogs breakfast but it works which is good enough for now.

The final, final revision of the circuit schematic is done.

ditiHjZ.png

Schematic PDF: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1I-M9bFlLIZfPgwrxrYzi1lEUF5jTwYl4

Here's a short video of them working the way I wanted.

Edited by Kaizen

• Administrators

Nice work! Just a question though, why wouldn't you use the same style switches that automatically return to position whilst staying on? Have to switch them back manually seems to be a pain.

Cheers,

Brad

They do return back to the off position but these are the switches that I had modified to do so and I'm still playing around with the return spring tensions. Most times they return back but occasionally they don't, for the video I slid my thumb back each time (though it wasn't necessary) in order to ensure that the switch returns on each press. Hope that makes sense.

For clarification you can't buy red illuminated momentary rocker switches with 12v globe anywhere except Alibaba where the minimum buy is 1000pcs. This why I've had to modify the locally available On-Off switch.

I thought I should source a 26" LCD monitor before going any further with the cabinet build.

I picked up a Panasonic Viera off Gumtree today, it measures 722mm wide and the cabinet internal width is 724mm so it should fit perfectly.

O1NlDmy.jpg

I've adjusted the weapons switch return springs as well.

I've been researching some options for the control panel lighting, there are 21 round bezel lights plus another 15 rectangular/square lights and the 3 momentary weapons switch lights.

FcQAzw4.jpg

Unfortunately they are LED but there's not a lot available with an incandescent globe.

Rather than having them constantly on, I thought it would be kinda cool to have them randomly flash on and off like you see in the movies, something like this...

I didn't want to use an RPi (though I'm sure it's possible to write a code to do it), instead have decided to make up a couple of different small boards using 555's and CD4017 and CD4026.

The CD4017 circuit is basically an LED chaser but I'll wire the outputs to different LED at different positions around the control panel.

o1o4QwT.jpg

The second circuit using a CD4026 will turn the LEDs on and off in a more random interval/duration.

gUCWWop.jpg

There's a bank of three dials on the panel that don't do anything so I'll use one of them for the cab volume and the other two to vary the rate of LED flashing.

I've laid out the two different schematics above onto a Vero Board.

TzO1ZT3.jpg

The caps were increased form 2.2uF to 22uF to slow the rate down and the two 47k resistors were replaced with pots so I can adjust the rate of flashing.

I did a quick test with a single LED on each circuit (before I changed the cap values), the red LED is on the 4017 LED Chaser circuit and the orange LED is on the 4026 Decade Counter/7-Segment Display Decoder.

Once confirmed working I hooked up 18 LEDs to it.

The other 18 LEDs will be constantly on.

Looking Good.

Reminded me of this... Airplane II

and this line @ 1:43

[video=youtube_share;kG-0V-85H_0]

I was watching the second video and realised 'the thing with the red lights that has no function' is the same prop used in The Last Starfighter movie when Alex arrives in Rylos and meets Grigg.

xLj7FZa.png

Edited by Kaizen

I only get about an hour a day to work on this project but here's today's progress...

The panel that sits behind the bezel has been trimmed and the monitor hole has been cut and flush trimmed to match the bezel.

There's a few more pieces left to cut for the top section then I'll turn my attention to the base section.

Everything is being drawn up in CAD as I go so there should be a complete set of CAD (.dxf) plans available when I'm done.

EKmvHBv.jpg

sFXVrGy.jpg

K0vadXg.jpg

CjKaaHT.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

I spent a couple of hours on the cab today.

One of the harder parts of the build is the control panel area at the front of the cab.

P42nmOR.jpg

4c033Rd.jpg

4aiskJc.jpg

I also got the two inner sides and two control panel dividers done.

Initially I was going to cut it all as one piece but decided to make it three separate pieces to save on wood wastage.

YRIVBqv.jpg

DO3RpVN.jpg

Sv9RCuC.jpg

The plans for the base of the cab have been redrawn.

fO3uDld.jpg

I spent a couple of hours on the cab today.

One of the harder parts of the build is the control panel area at the front of the cab.

P42nmOR.jpg

4c033Rd.jpg

4aiskJc.jpg

I also got the two inner sides and two control panel dividers done.

Initially I was going to cut it all as one piece but decided to make it three separate pieces to save on wood wastage.

YRIVBqv.jpg

DO3RpVN.jpg

Sv9RCuC.jpg

The plans for the base of the cab have been redrawn.

fO3uDld.jpg

This really is amazing work!

I really appreciate it now that I am building a cab not just restoring and mine is veggie maths level. Yours is String Theory!

Keep up the fantastic job.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Aussie Arcade mobile app

This really is amazing work!

I really appreciate it now that I am building a cab not just restoring and mine is veggie maths level. Yours is String Theory!

Keep up the fantastic job.

Thanks mate, getting the measurements right is what has taken a lot of the time constructing the cab, a degree or mm out can cause a lot of grief. Fortunately the CAD software does all of the calculations for me and I just use the measurement tool to work out the dimensions and angles.

I got a little bit more done on the control panel area this afternoon...

3JnDMqy.jpg

V2VNkMn.jpg?1

XQLHteX.jpg

JygwDKN.jpg

9MmIqz9.jpg

The next challenge is making the angled recess for the joysticks so they sit vertical on the 12.5 degree angled panel.

sx2CYtY.jpg

Edit: I had just enough daylight left to cut the two joystick panels...

cjwoqqY.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

Joystick pockets and weapons selection switch panel done.

Another step closer to completion...

us3DPqI.jpg?2

After spending hours searching online for the panel lights I finally found a place in Melbourne that has what I need.

WCA4O4Y.jpg

iBeuHaM.jpg

Coin door inserts...

FJ49gbV.jpgfs9pBBE.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

I spent most of the day working on the cab and now have the top half assembled and about 90% done.

One more panel needs to be cut and I need to finish off the marquee header.

odDg31C.jpg

FM1Yrgy.jpg

urra5am.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

Another update...;)

I found a console joystick that has a similar profile to the one on the original cabinet.

yRSi6tA.jpg

I'll remove the handle and retrofit it to the arcade flightstick that I've already ordered.

l1XCSXJ.jpg

I needed to work out a way to replicate the bank of eight lights that sit in the middle section.

yWM4qDK.jpg

The easiest way was to get the individual pieces laser cut out of perspex and glue them together.

I've drawn up the cut file and saved it in a .dxf format.

QG7c2mK.jpg

Here's a 3D rendering of how it should look.

DUO0xeH.jpg

View from the back.

wb5T38o.jpg

One thing I'm having a challenge finding is the bank of four bezels pictured below, any thoughts on where I might find them?

I can't seem to find the right looking ones after extensively searching online.

xMqYk4P.jpg

HiVXqt5.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

Thay look like rectangle car indicator to me

Steady indicator light / incandescent / panel-mount / snap-in - 31 series - Visual Communications Company - Videos

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/visual-communications-company/product-17406-1096467.html

31 Series Snapfit Rectangular Indicator Lights - VCC | Mouser Australia

https://au.mouser.com/m_new/vcc/vcc-31-indicator/

https://www.fpmarine.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=Light+rect+green+125vtabs