Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The Last Starfigher Scratch Build

I made a prototype T-bar for the targeting joystick, it looks a little thin on top and too thick on the bottom so I'll tweak a few dimensions and make another one.

2gyWOZr.jpg

sHK2YvZ.jpg

rfyBqtq.jpg

I believe these are from the the machine used in the DVD doco...

FdlLmSl.jpg

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A new T-bar has been fabricated with the modified dimensions and I thought I'd have a go at knocking up a tracking joystick as well and keep the console joystick as a last resort...

All I had to go off was the image above and the set of drawings below....

Hv92OpI.jpg

The rough outline was cut then a lot of sanding to get close to the original shape. It was then screwed down to a piece of board and a 45 degree bevel was cut using the router.

wH05zHB.jpg

1kYc3mo.jpg

The screw holes were filled and multiple coats of satin black were applied.

jrhOcjz.jpg

I picked up some momentary switches from Jaycar which will be glued into the hole so only the cap is visible.

otKPqdO.jpgedNgsLV.jpg

gFEAfeX.jpg

77pU8LA.jpg?1

tw3tX16.jpg

U5asgj6.gif

Edited by Kaizen

I spent a couple of hours on the cab today, got the marquee header completed and cut the back door panels.

With the top section build now completed I'll focus on getting the base section built next then the filling and painting begins...

vZQ6VTI.jpg

LZeoEFs.jpg

JsbGEFD.jpg

It's running a Core2Duo PC with 2Gig RAM, onboard video and audio is running through a Logitec 5.1 amp.

Has anyone seen these potentiometer knobs (or something similar) before and/or know of a possible source?

eXLLknVl.png

Edited by Kaizen

I got the light panel cut today, I need to pick up some purple perspex tomorrow but they had some green on hand so they cut some spares out of that for the time being.

vylRfae.jpg

P7VQROel.jpgWPssAP7l.jpg

I also ordered the four bezel lamps from Mouser.

xMqYk4P.jpg

I believe the image above has the wrong colours, after close inspection of some screen caps from the movie they should be red, green and two amber...

JDqIjC4.jpg

Part numbers here for anyone searching for these in the future...

JhpYBLa.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

The light panel is now done but not without a few hiccups.

I had to get a new set of the black pieces remade because I didn't account for the 1mm thickness of the laser when drawing up the cut file.

It left a gap between all of the pieces which allowed light to shine through and made it difficult to assemble neatly.

I'll have to make another one up (I got enough pieces cut to make three sets), when I cemented the pieces together I should have covered the frosted top layer with cement then drop the colour piece onto it, you can see in the non lit image where some of the cement has wicked in between the pieces.

You don't notice it when lit but I'm not happy with it so I'll assemble another one tomorrow.

Other than that I'm happy with how it turned out.

FG66yw1.jpg

pMbsaoR.jpg

I picked up two more sheets of 2400x1200x18mm MDF from Bunnings today and have rough cut all the panels for the base.

The build has used a total of four sheets and at 39kg per sheet the bare cab will weigh around 150kg.

At least it splits into two parts which will make it easier to move.

Here's the final revision of the Base Section plans...

https://imgur.com/Ij5xDMP

lfndjzE.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]132339[/ATTACH]

1016932793_Metricbaseplans(usethisfinal)-1000-Copy-Copy.thumb.jpg.2821dc6edc907d7d1a9d661e1068c575.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

The base section is pretty much completed, I need to get the beveled pieces that sit in front of the coin mech done but my table saw is too small to do the job so I have to get a joinery shop to cut them.

I have a coin door on it's way but it may not arrive until next week. :(

When it arrives I'll cut the hole out for it.

MeM7DuM.jpg

DxXJ3WW.jpg

0qY1qN3.jpg

z5QaUgo.jpg

It's taken 2 months to get to this stage but I finally have the two halves together.

Still a lot of work to do, I'll need to get the artwork sorted next.

For the sides I'm thinking of doing it in CNC cut self adhesive vinyl if it's possible to cut that size. @MamePatrol ??

@stuzza, I'll get the files and dimensions to you in the next week or so.

ENYfoxr.jpg

Et5YmX4.jpg

GUVheZi.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

Control panel lights done, a bit of routing to do tomorrow and that it's for the woodworking side of things.

I might even have time to fill and prime the base section tomorrow, I'm looking forward to getting this thing completed.

6OKKDyI.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

The final part of the woodworking has been done, the bevel on the control panel dividers were routed with a 70 degree router bit.

StDDZgX.jpg

6pq3Sqf.jpg

I've spent the last 3 weeks slowly prepping the panels for painting.

The open grains of the MDF have been sealed with PVA glue then sanded and painted a couple of times until they are smooth and even.

The bezel area consists of 4 layers, the top three layers have been painted and sanded smooth prior to screwing and gluing together so that when the cab is assembled it will only need a top coat and makes it easier not having to try to neatly sand the inner corners.

zL1nGWY.jpg

Today I got the first layer of bog applied to the three layers at the bottom of the bezel.

Eb0ymZy.jpg

5K9rWO3.jpg

This will be sanded and painted tomorrow before attaching it to the fourth rear piece which will then need the two layers of the inner monitor cutout bogged and prepped as well.

FXXFUVA.jpg

It's painstakingly slow progress but I feel it will produce a better finish at the end.

After that's done the cabinet will be reassembled and the front of the control panel section will get bogged up.

I ended up deciding to use the satin black Dulux Duramax spray cans, I've used it plenty of times in the past, it self primes and dries fast.

x4laXsD.png

Edited by Kaizen

The cab base needed to get up off the ground so I fitted six leg levelers which should keep it nice and stable.

IMYSmwg.jpg

The bottom panel was screwed and glued to the rest of the base section

UA394ta.jpg

It was then flush trimmed all round and the front and sides got blocked down with 80 grit then 120 grit paper so they were nice and flush.

wdCaCAQ.jpg

A light smear of bog was applied to fill and cover the joins and gaps which was then blocked down starting with 120 grit and finished off with 240.

Rgi5anW.jpg

Lastly it was primed with a few coats of paint and after a few days it'll get blocked down with 320 then 400 grit paper then it'll get a final all over coat of paint.

qdGTyYS.jpg

GgGzmNi.jpg

The coin door also got a scuff back and fresh coat of paint.

2csDk56.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

• 7 months later...

Just a quick update on the progress of the build (or lack thereof), I've had a multitude of other commitments and seasonal challenges that meant this had to be parked for the last 7 months.

I've moved the top half of the cab into a utility room at the back of the house this week where it can get glued & screwed, painted and assembled without having to worry about wet weather, wind and bugs when painting outside.

I'll be getting back onto it in the following weeks and hope to have it completed within 2 months.

Today I sealed the end grain of the MDF with PVA glue and primed the wood with black paint.

Zaqye2e.jpg

k5Iaq3L.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

A little more progress, cab mostly primed and assembled, just need to bog the front of the control panel and finish off the angled arch on top of the cab.

All panels got 3-4 coats of paint and were sanded with 400 grit before assembly. This means that most of it will only need a light scuff back with 400 grit again before the final all over coat is aplied.

kAtDyU1.jpg

A15PcFz.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

Mate I'm happy to print this for you, it's the least I can do for all the help you've given me.

I just found this link that a guy on KLOV had posted for 3D printing the controls.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2988335

I'll get them printed up and decide whether to go with these or use the set I have alredy fabricated.

https://i.imgur.com/XPuQVmY.jpg

Mate I'm happy to print this for you, it's the least I can do for all the help you've given me.

That would be awesome mate, let me know if you need anything.

Just need the left and right joysticks, black ABS if possible otherwise whatever you can do it in is okay..

Much appreciated.

Edited by Kaizen

No worries, I'll print it in black over the weekend. I prefer to print in ABS, want me to shine it up too?

Yeah. definitely.

The smoother the finish the better.

Yesterday the front of the control panel and marquee was bogged up.

7wP7G7g.jpg

Then sanded with 320 grit.

c4W81ZV.jpg

9RNDf1Y.jpg

Today I spent the afternoon/evening sanding and painting and am making good progress, it looks like I should have the painting side of things done by the end of the Easter long weekend and all going well it'll be completed right on 12 months after starting work on it (12th May). I've lost track of exactly how much time I've spent on the build but it's probably around 50 hours so far and and about the same for the research and design side of things.

GFAH29M.jpg

1Gv1ocx.jpg

ykvGOXb.jpg

Pzqg6ls.jpg

qvNsVMX.jpg

The marquee perspex has been laser cut, 2 sheets of 3mm clear, the artwork will be sandwiched in between them.

The artwork files have been sent to @MamePatrol for printing.

MR9rlqs.jpg

0ApzQ9s.jpg

The marquee slots into a 7mm deep, 1/4" (6.35mm) wide rebate at the top and is held in place at the bottom with a piece of angle.

zdbOQ5K.jpg

Edited by Kaizen