State
      Tasmania
      Mentioned
      96 Post(s)
      Quoted
      558 Post(s)
      Australia

The Future of the MGL

Is it time for a discussion on the future of the MGL?

The MGL has grown in recent times, both in number of players and in regard to recognition in the global gaming community.
      Paul ( @OOO ) has put in significant effort to the organising and promoting of the MGL and has been successful in doing so.

When I began playing in the MGL I found the beauty of it was in its simplicity. Play your game, take a screenshot, post your score. The banter between players was excellent and it was a fun challenge to try and top each other's scores. The honesty system worked fine and with no prizes to speak of other than bragging rights there was no reason to be dishonest as you had nothing to gain.

Before I go any further I would like to stress that I absolutely am not accusing or suggesting that anyone has entered scores dishonestly.

As most would be aware, the first post in each new game shows the dip settings that each game is to be played on for the tournament. It seems that in recent times many of these dip settings have been changed from the 'standard' settings to settings that match those of Twin Galaxies. This is an effort by Paul to allow players, if they wish, to compete and aim for world records that will be accepted by Twin Galaxies. Many of these settings are harder than the standard settings and require the dip settings to be changed before play. Here is where potential problems arise.

A recent game in MGL 35 was Track 'n' Field. This game has a significant difference to most other games we play in that it has an 'ending'. The dips listed by Paul in the first post included a setting to end the game after one run through the events.
      A number of players submitted scores that simply weren't possible given the limitation of the dip setting (each of those players later withdrew those scores and said it was unintentional). They had simply played through more events until their game ended which resulted in very high scores. These players were not being dishonest but had simply failed to read the instructions in post one of the game.

The problem is almost everything else we play does not have a limitation like this that makes errors easy to spot. A player could play a game on easier settings or have extra lives more frequently by having the wrong dip settings (intentionally or not) and no one would be able to tell with only a screenshot as evidence.

There has been discussion on other forums about the past and future integrity of the MGL scoreboard and the impact that this may have had/will have on tournaments. There have been suggestions of only using standard dip settings or inp files or video recordings being required to ensure the integrity of the scoreboard.

I do not know the solution or even if others think a solution is required.

I do know that a few recent tournaments have been decided by only a few points and that one was a tie for first. As Paul has told us repeatedly, "every point counts". Now that this is being promoted as the 'World Championship of eSports' and that cash prize money is being offered I think it is time to ensure our scoreboard is 100% accurate.

What are other players thoughts?

My Twitch stream - twitch.tv/bigredbird1

is Beefu Testing...

----

State
      Melbourne
      Mentioned
      76 Post(s)
      Quoted
      331 Post(s)
      Agreed. Cash prizes and only screenshot proof is just asking for trouble. If we did require INPs though, who's going to look through them all? It would get tiresome for everybody very quickly I think.

is Through dark sunken eyes I see
      another pale sunrise

Innocent

State
      Tasmania
      Mentioned
      217 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1214 Post(s)
      Australia
      If inps are ever required then I'm out as that becomes a PITA on my cabs which don't have Internet access.

I love the enthusiasm and organisation that Paul brings to the MGL.

BUT as I have stated many times I would prefer it was kept an AA comp. If TG people want to join AA and play default settings then they are welcome. But having scores and banter for each game spread across different forums is not good IMO.

I agree that having cash and big prizes is a worry.
      When we played just for virtual medals that was incentive enough.
      I have a couple of small trophies from the old days of MGL and they are great.

I did win some cash in a random draw for playing all the games and I am very greatful for that.
      But I come for the games and discussion

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app
      Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

is trying not to annoy Homepin
      with his bad spelling and
      grammer

Tired

State
      Auckland
      Mentioned
      20 Post(s)
      Quoted
      273 Post(s)
      New Zealand
      My 2 cents would be no prizes dont worry about matching TG or even intentionally having different setting and just a screen shot of the score and a screen shot of the "dip" settings

This user has no status.

Piratey

State
      Illinois
      Mentioned
      6 Post(s)
      Quoted
      87 Post(s)
      United States
      I would be in favor of INPs being required. I already record and save the INP for my high scores anyway, but like kane said, with the amount of submissions coming in, it would be difficult to review them in a timely manner and would put a burden on the adjudicator.

I do agree that there are some concerns.

is trying not to annoy Homepin
      with his bad spelling and
      grammer

Tired

State
      Auckland
      Mentioned
      20 Post(s)
      Quoted
      273 Post(s)
      New Zealand
      Quote Originally Posted by creech77 View Post
      I would be in favor of INPs being required. I already record and save the INP for my high scores anyway, but like kane said, with the amount of submissions coming in, it would be difficult to review them in a timely manner and would put a burden on the adjudicator.
      Another 2 cents

If INPs where used you wouldn't need to watch them all just the top score and only if there is something that might bring the score in to question, and if you cant provide one if asked then score removed

is https://www.twitch.tv/twitchsh
      ane

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      66 Post(s)
      Quoted
      287 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by loki4101 View Post
      Another 2 cents

If INPs where used you wouldn't need to watch them all just the top score and only if there is something that might bring the score in to question, and if you cant provide one if asked then score removed
      U could open it check dips then fast forward to the end to check continues werent used and it plays back to the score submitted. Dont have to sit through and watch the entire playback at normal speed etc

could just be top 10 for a given game have to submit an inp.

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

is swilling on a cheap nasty
      cleanskin

Amused

State
      Brisbane - Wakerley
      Mentioned
      81 Post(s)
      Quoted
      450 Post(s)
      Australia
      I'm not a fan of having to post .inp's It sort of feels like it goes against the spirit of what the MGL is supposed to be about

Turns something that was just for shits and giggles with your mates into something else.

It will also put an end to people competing with multi game boards or playing at an arcade, see below from OOO 1st post in each game

"Games can be played at the arcade. "
      "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

is thinking of pushing apples and
      collecting diamonds

----

State
      Tasmania
      Mentioned
      96 Post(s)
      Quoted
      558 Post(s)
      Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
      I'm not a fan of having to post .inp's It sort of feels like it goes against the spirit of what the MGL is supposed to be about

Turns something that was just for shits and giggles with your mates into something else.
      Thanks for your comment Foot.
      I agree with your post, the MGL is a place for good times.

However it is becoming something different to what it was. It is being promoted as a world championship and is attracting work class players. It is offering cash prize money.

I would truly love for the honesty system to work but the MGL is open to players globally and not all of them are honest. Combine that fact with unintentional mistakes and you have a questionable scoreboard.

I fully support @OOO and the way he runs the MGL tournaments. I think his organisation and presentation of each game and results is excellent. I have thanked him privately in the past and am happy to do so here publicly as well.

As I said in my first post, I don't know the answer, but at the moment we are sitting somewhere in between a fun league and a pro league.

Any serious competition needs to have a level playing field.

My Twitch stream - twitch.tv/bigredbird1

is Through dark sunken eyes I see
      another pale sunrise

Innocent

State
      Tasmania
      Mentioned
      217 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1214 Post(s)
      Australia
      Exactly Foot, the MGL has always been just for fun, not world records and there was no reason to question screen shots.
      This is why I enjoy it much more than TG and even MARP.
      There are plenty of places to post scores to get verified records already for people who want that.
      I hope what is different and great about the MGL is not lost.
      If people start wanting inps now then what's next? Wolfmame?
      Independent verification?
      I used to post at MARP but when I got my Astro cabs and set them up running the awesome Groovymame that excluded me from submitting.
      I don't want to go back to inps and wolfmame and grinding away for hours trying to get world records. I just want some MGL fun.

I vote the next MGL theme is bring back the old ways. We are retro gamers FFS of course we dislike change

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app
      Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information