Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The Future of the MGL

• Super Moderator

Some meaningless stats from the last MGL

**A lot of player are registered at both sites, but for the purpose of this (yes pointless, no pintless (yes Schooners only at this pint) post I've quoted players registered at AA)) (Did I get the brackets right?)

65 Players - 42 AA/ 22 TG

Top 10 - 6 AA/ 4 TG

Top 30 - 28 AA/ 8 TG

30th place to 65th place - 20 AA/ 15 TG

Bottom 15 - 6 AA/ 9 TG

Competed in All Games - 31

23 AA

8 TG

Competed in 4 games or less

TG 9

AA 5

Most Popular letter that player names start with: 'B' with 9

Most unusual letter that player names start with: 'E','H',"I','L' and 'V' all with 1

This next bit is subjective

Coolest User name Foot, Galaga God and Agent Smith

Most boring user name @Brad and mmm, nope just Brad

Whats it all mean? Well nothing but looks like:

AA's still feeling the Love - well done to those who did join up to post scores and chat

Majority of people like to play games regardless of the games settings and enjoy the current format

Personally

I'll still play in this CAG comp and if the new SAG League comp starts I'll play in it too (BTW that's the Sh%ts and giggles League)

I dont like .inps but whatever (I'm lazy)

Facebook stuff should have an AA link as well in future.

OOO does a great job

It's just gaming, peace out

I'll take questions after a short break, Im off to get a refill

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not just rename it and have done with it, and then also run a comp for casual gamers as the MGL ? There's already one But there definitely is room for two comps if that's what people want. I would put my hand up to play in the casual comp as i only play now and again and on 'fun' settings it's something i'd enjoy more.

Just my opinion, and would love to hear more opinions.

+1 vote here, I would join the casual comp too

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

Sorry to have upset you @John73 I think you are a good bloke and passionate about retro as we all are and I hope to share a beer with you one day :)

Yes I say it as I see it but I hoped it would be interpreted as Jed has and not as unnecessary trolling which is not my intent.

OOO has created a great big new comp, someone else wants to run a dodgy old MGL like it was and others want that also, win win, that's all.

• Administrators

LOL @Foot :b

I REALLY lose interest if there are 2 games in a row I loathe. That combined with me being away for the last few weeks made it pointless for me to continue. Haven't read all the "crap" ;) in this message, too much to do in Greece at the moment.

PS: Sifnos, Milos, Santorini and Crete, not one single Arcade or Pinball machine spotted =(

Brad

• Administrators

Lets make an effort to get MLG players on AA. If somebody has trouble making an account let me know and I'll fix it, hell for MGL members I'll even bump their account from Newbies to full Members.

Secondly I'll do what I can to keep everybody happy. There's NO reason why a second old school AA comp can't be run just as long as

1.We have somebody who want to put the time into running it

2.The numbers are there to make the effort worthwhile.

Perhaps an easy way to do it would be to strip the old school MGL down and not have leader boards etc, some other forums just have a "Game of the Week" thread that people post in. I think that would make it much easier to run, at the end of the week (or month whatever) the three highest scores are acknowledged and we move on to the next game, no over all leader board to maintain. This would also give it a point of difference to the "World" comp and would not have the two comps in competition of each other.

The Future of the MGL

Just have two divisions in the current competition. Pro and casual. Pro have to play on specified dips, with INPs etc. casual can do screenshots and play whatever dips they want.

I'll add my two cents... even though it's not needed.

Firstly, OOO does a fantastic job (no one seems to disagree with that nor should they). He does well in encouraging people to push harder and play more as well as all the obvious and other not so obvious things. People in general don't ever appreciate how much time things take to do and take everything offered for granted. OOO spends plenty of time making the MGL run so smoothly. I'd love for him to play and submit scores, even if he smashes me (plenty of others do that anyway).

I was drawn to the MGL as I could just submit screen shots/photos and that is why I still play (although I do go AWOL from time to time). I hope to be able to keep playing submitting scores in this manner as I am not set up for INP recording etc.

Do I care if people cheat, well yes, but I am not going to lose sleep over it as I am not competitive enough to win. Although if I was good enough to win a game and lost to a cheater then I'd be disappointed but that isn't likely.

In many cases I don't know the difference between default and TG settings as I don't know the games well enough. I liked the TG settings for Track and Field as it was a marathon but made it important to get each discipline correct to maximise score. Other games I'd prefer personally not to have to change as I am lazy and it means connecting a keyboard to my cabinet that isn't usually there.

A quick note on people not wanting to run the MGL, I think I was around when John73 wasn't able to continue but I was new and intimidated with the task at hand of running a competition that was already (in my mind) setting high standards. I didn't want to let anyone down. Having said that, I would have taken over rather than letting it die but I have no doubt, I would not have done as good a job as what those before me had done or as good as what OOO has done.

I love the MGL. I love the banter and learning new games. Are there things I'd like to see being done differently, of course, but it's not up to me and I'm happy following along.

Secondly I'll do what I can to keep everybody happy. There's NO reason why a second old school AA comp can't be run just as long as

1.We have somebody who want to put the time into running it

2.The numbers are there to make the effort worthwhile.

And this is all that's being suggested, It's been put forward before, the idea of a 'minor league' mgl to be run in tandem with the big leagues.

Plenty of players, me included, dont give a rats arse (scuse me rat) about twin galaxies, their settings, or getting world records (or even caring what the world records are. ) That's where a 'minor league mgl' can pop up and fill a gap, for players who are after a smaller comp, not as often, and at easier settings.

We've already had an offer to run it, and I'd be happy to help out if needed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I feel I should point out that what I was suggesting was a totally separate smaller casual set of comps in no way connected to the MGL (I wouldn't want anything I might had screwed up to reflect badly on the MGL)

I have wanted to play in the MGL for 3 or so years now but have been put off by the games, simply being I didn't grow up with them so I was thinking of games from 85 to 95 but that would apparently have an overlap with the MGL

I also want to say that I have a huge amount of respect for the people that started the MGL and the job that OOO has done with it the last 5 years

Just have two divisions in the current competition. Pro and casual. Pro have to play on specified dips, with INPs etc. casual can do screenshots and play whatever dips they want.

Yep, 2 seperate comps. and getting back to @bigredbird original intent when he made this thread. (it all ties in BRB) that could mean the esports world Champioship could if Paul decided it necessary to go with wolfmame and INPs and given the money now on offer for top placings, that would seem like a sensible thing to do to discourage anyone who might be thinking of cheating.

Loki i don't think limiting a range of years is a good idea, as most here probably actually prefer pre 1985. I'd suggest no era limit at all, so the mgl minor league could be an all-inclusive league of all year ranges for mame which would then include gamers who like the post 1985 games as well as the classic era

I'd rather see MGL have two levels of play at the same time than two different events.

For various reasons - Fragmenting, Schedule conflicts etc.

New MGL

1. Classic - Screenshots & Standard Dips (The sort of settings typical for local arcades back in the day) - Mystery prizes.

2. Professional - Wolfmame, Input files & TG Dips (Compliant for world record submissions and score validation) - Cash prizes.

Before we move to create new forum sections, Why don't we have a poll on MGL Format standard and see if we can't get MGL to consensus first.

- - - Updated - - -

I think we should also vote on some other discussed topics.

Vote MGL Year limmits:

A) No era limit to games at all.

B) Limit range of years. (eg 85-95)

Vote MGL Schedule:

A) Rolling game per week competition. (Weekly winner)

B) Shebang of games competition. (Shebang winner)

Personally I'd like to see No era limits in a Shebang competition.

The thought of a rolling one game per week competition sounds good,

But the Shebang competition encourages more participation by players.

I don't want to type an in depth post, mainly because I've had a few drinks. :) I have no animosity toward anyone here, and to be invited to play in every man's MGL has been...well, it's my main gaming venture nowadays. I actually thought it was casual but competitive, because we're all trying our best right? and/or it leaves the option open to be casual. It's what ever time you decide to put into it. I understand that this tourney grew from tight knit roots and the emotions that are felt now that it has grown.

As a gamer that is just happy to be a part of this in any way shape or form, I'm going to let you guys decide the directions, but, like I said, I spoke up in the MGL thread because I felt tension, and just felt the need to reply. Hopefully some time soon we're all going to be happy, because at the end of the day, we all love gaming.

Edited by creech77

There have been some good suggesting but I think this sounds like the best way forward for the MGL and could hopefully be done in a way that did not involve too much extra effort. Would be good to have it all on one scoreboard but Pro and Casual scores a different colour and have the community check the top three Pro INP submissions so those who are interested can watch rather than one person watching endless INP's.

The MGL has grown into what it is today through trying different things mostly suggested by the players & organizers & tested out over an MGL until a recipe that works best for most players is found, I'm sure any suggestions would be heard but you also have to consider how that impacts everything else.

The Scoring, the way the Noms are taken, drawn & organized. Presentation of the game, length of time per game, games per comp, dip settings. Game & controller exclusions etc.

Through all the changes its always been played in the same spirit with a screenshot of score / initails.

If enough ppl are asking for INP's I guess it should be tried, but as I said before, how does that impact?

Cons - No more Real Arcade PCB play or some ? multiboards : Not so easy to do on a MAME CAB : Not easy to playback unless we are all on the same Mame version & matching ROM, more work involved reviewing etc.

Pros - Stops potential for cheating / mistakes, players able to post score to TG if the DIPS match.

Splitting the MGL - not so sure myself, but it should be discussed further & tried if most agree. I don't yet understand it, if we played Track & Field wouldn't one group be looping & one group only playing once through! or even if some are playing on easy & some hard on other games I can see it causing problems and tension!

ATM the MGL caters for all players, a second comp could dilute MGL participation.

The prize money is certainly not life changing yet I realize some would cheat to get it.

MGL really about preserving the memory and having competition in these games to generate interest and keep them from fading away in the age of Xbox and VR.

Cheaters will be found out and kicked out.

I don’t do Twin Galaxies because I don’t have time to meet all the submission criteria.

A screenshot of my score - I can handle that and you’ll have to trust me on my scores.

That said. If there is a true battle for top five or something, I could see an additional set of rules applied which would require those with scores in the top x to have to include additional verification.

We don’t want to stifle participation, we want to make entry and basic competition fun and easy!