State
      Brisbane - Wakerley
      Mentioned
      78 Post(s)
      Quoted
      442 Post(s)
      Australia

Some meaningless stats from the last MGL

**A lot of player are registered at both sites, but for the purpose of this (yes pointless, no pintless (yes Schooners only at this pint) post I've quoted players registered at AA)) (Did I get the brackets right?)

65 Players - 42 AA/ 22 TG
      Top 10 - 6 AA/ 4 TG
      Top 30 - 28 AA/ 8 TG
      30th place to 65th place - 20 AA/ 15 TG
      Bottom 15 - 6 AA/ 9 TG

Competed in All Games - 31
      23 AA
      8 TG
      Competed in 4 games or less
      TG 9
      AA 5

Most Popular letter that player names start with: 'B' with 9
      Most unusual letter that player names start with: 'E','H',"I','L' and 'V' all with 1

This next bit is subjective

Coolest User name Foot, Galaga God and Agent Smith
      Most boring user name @Brad and mmm, nope just Brad

Whats it all mean? Well nothing but looks like:

AA's still feeling the Love - well done to those who did join up to post scores and chat
      Majority of people like to play games regardless of the games settings and enjoy the current format

Personally
      I'll still play in this CAG comp and if the new SAG League comp starts I'll play in it too (BTW that's the Sh%ts and giggles League)
      I dont like .inps but whatever (I'm lazy)
      Facebook stuff should have an AA link as well in future.
      OOO does a great job
      It's just gaming, peace out

I'll take questions after a short break, Im off to get a refill
      "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

is jumping from cube to cube to
      make them change colour

Crazy

State
      Brisbane
      Mentioned
      215 Post(s)
      Quoted
      2224 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Foot View Post
      Coolest User name Foot, Galaga God and Agent Smith
      Only because they can't come up with something inventive like John73 as their username

This user has no status.

Awesome

State
      Mount Druitt, NSW
      Mentioned
      16 Post(s)
      Quoted
      313 Post(s)
      Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
      Why not just rename it and have done with it, and then also run a comp for casual gamers as the MGL ? There's already one But there definitely is room for two comps if that's what people want. I would put my hand up to play in the casual comp as i only play now and again and on 'fun' settings it's something i'd enjoy more.

Just my opinion, and would love to hear more opinions.
      +1 vote here, I would join the casual comp too

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

is Through dark sunken eyes I see
      another pale sunrise

Innocent

State
      Tasmania
      Mentioned
      213 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1206 Post(s)
      Australia
      Sorry to have upset you @John73 I think you are a good bloke and passionate about retro as we all are and I hope to share a beer with you one day

Yes I say it as I see it but I hoped it would be interpreted as Jed has and not as unnecessary trolling which is not my intent.

OOO has created a great big new comp, someone else wants to run a dodgy old MGL like it was and others want that also, win win, that's all.
      Out in the sun on my Mountain Bike - I will leave more time for gaming in Winter

Brad is online now Cheeky Bastard
      is Banned

Wtf

State
      Brisbane, Australia
      Mentioned
      177 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1347 Post(s)
      Australia
      LOL @Foot

I REALLY lose interest if there are 2 games in a row I loathe. That combined with me being away for the last few weeks made it pointless for me to continue. Haven't read all the "crap" in this message, too much to do in Greece at the moment.

PS: Sifnos, Milos, Santorini and Crete, not one single Arcade or Pinball machine spotted =(

Brad

is Patrolling the Moon

Secret

State
      Redlands
      Mentioned
      130 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1672 Post(s)
      Australia
      Lets make an effort to get MLG players on AA. If somebody has trouble making an account let me know and I'll fix it, hell for MGL members I'll even bump their account from Newbies to full Members.

Secondly I'll do what I can to keep everybody happy. There's NO reason why a second old school AA comp can't be run just as long as
      1.We have somebody who want to put the time into running it
      2.The numbers are there to make the effort worthwhile.

is Through dark sunken eyes I see
      another pale sunrise

Innocent

State
      Tasmania
      Mentioned
      213 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1206 Post(s)
      Australia
      Perhaps an easy way to do it would be to strip the old school MGL down and not have leader boards etc, some other forums just have a "Game of the Week" thread that people post in. I think that would make it much easier to run, at the end of the week (or month whatever) the three highest scores are acknowledged and we move on to the next game, no over all leader board to maintain. This would also give it a point of difference to the "World" comp and would not have the two comps in competition of each other.
      Out in the sun on my Mountain Bike - I will leave more time for gaming in Winter

is hiding from terence

Sneaky

State
      Wellington
      Mentioned
      220 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1012 Post(s)
      New Zealand

The Future of the MGL

Just have two divisions in the current competition. Pro and casual. Pro have to play on specified dips, with INPs etc. casual can do screenshots and play whatever dips they want.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

My stream - http://www.twitch.tv/barranz - Pop in and say hello!

This user has no status.

Piratey

State
      NSW (Newcastle)
      Mentioned
      60 Post(s)
      Quoted
      611 Post(s)
      Australia
      I'll add my two cents... even though it's not needed.

Firstly, OOO does a fantastic job (no one seems to disagree with that nor should they). He does well in encouraging people to push harder and play more as well as all the obvious and other not so obvious things. People in general don't ever appreciate how much time things take to do and take everything offered for granted. OOO spends plenty of time making the MGL run so smoothly. I'd love for him to play and submit scores, even if he smashes me (plenty of others do that anyway).

I was drawn to the MGL as I could just submit screen shots/photos and that is why I still play (although I do go AWOL from time to time). I hope to be able to keep playing submitting scores in this manner as I am not set up for INP recording etc.

Do I care if people cheat, well yes, but I am not going to lose sleep over it as I am not competitive enough to win. Although if I was good enough to win a game and lost to a cheater then I'd be disappointed but that isn't likely.

In many cases I don't know the difference between default and TG settings as I don't know the games well enough. I liked the TG settings for Track and Field as it was a marathon but made it important to get each discipline correct to maximise score. Other games I'd prefer personally not to have to change as I am lazy and it means connecting a keyboard to my cabinet that isn't usually there.

A quick note on people not wanting to run the MGL, I think I was around when John73 wasn't able to continue but I was new and intimidated with the task at hand of running a competition that was already (in my mind) setting high standards. I didn't want to let anyone down. Having said that, I would have taken over rather than letting it die but I have no doubt, I would not have done as good a job as what those before me had done or as good as what OOO has done.

I love the MGL. I love the banter and learning new games. Are there things I'd like to see being done differently, of course, but it's not up to me and I'm happy following along.

is always up late.

Happy

State
      Confusion
      Mentioned
      124 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1239 Post(s)
      Czech Republic
      Quote Originally Posted by Arcade King View Post

Secondly I'll do what I can to keep everybody happy. There's NO reason why a second old school AA comp can't be run just as long as
      1.We have somebody who want to put the time into running it
      2.The numbers are there to make the effort worthwhile.
      And this is all that's being suggested, It's been put forward before, the idea of a 'minor league' mgl to be run in tandem with the big leagues.

Plenty of players, me included, dont give a rats arse (scuse me rat) about twin galaxies, their settings, or getting world records (or even caring what the world records are. ) That's where a 'minor league mgl' can pop up and fill a gap, for players who are after a smaller comp, not as often, and at easier settings.

We've already had an offer to run it, and I'd be happy to help out if needed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information