Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Future of the MGL

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1428 Post(s)

Interesting thread BRB. I haven't been involved enough in many MGL's in recent times but i started playing in MGL's around the same time as @Rat, MGL #8 , about 9 years ago... I think Foot has been around even longer. We sometimes had only 5 people submitting scores in those days But it was still fun. And the basic rules still apply, submit a screen shot with your score. Personally i'd hate to see that change.

Retro gaming in general has come on a long way in the last 10 years, we're seeing a lot more people involved in it now than ever. So too the level of competition and competitiveness has increased enormously. Paul has been amazing for the MGL, under his guidance it has grown into one of the biggest comps in the world. Biggest maybe ? almost 50 players now submitting scores! Has there ever been a world championship before ? I think that's pretty incredible.

I would agree that dips should be mame defaults not TG standards. Getting back to that 'fun' thing

State
    Brisbane - Wakerley
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quoted
    492 Post(s)
    Donít get me wrong, I am really pleased, almost proud you could say of how our little MGL has grown.

OOO does a great job of promoting the gaming and although I understand the concerns of some who dont like the spread of the MGL to TG I think itís working well. I have seen more people joining and posting here, getting involved (personally I dont like the TG forum software, blah, no Tapatalk, so if I had a choice AA for me)

The MGL has to evolve, I love seeing the skills of the great players, maybe those who want to play for sheep stations can post inpís on wolfmame, and the rest can take a screen shot of their PC, Cab, machine at the arcade.
    However only those who use the inp will be in the running for the cash prizes, the rest of use can play for the glory of setting a PB or beating a mate

Just saying...

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade
    "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

State
    Auckland
    Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1071 Post(s)
    OOO does such an amazing job with the MGL it was really only a matter of time before it grew to what it is now.

However, I do feel it is trying to be too "competitive" or hardcore, whilst still maintaining the very principles that the MGL stands for. I'm really not sure if its possible to please parties at both ends of the spectrum.

As most of you know I'm in the hardcore camp and so would definitely prefer INPs, especially in something dubbed the "World Championship of eSports". In reality I know a lot of you guys can't/won't record because you don't have the proper setup and/or feel its unnecessary. I completely understand.

Really not sure where I'm going with this, but maybe it needs to be one or the other? Maybe people can just play on whatever settings they like? After all it is OOO's money and if he's happy to hand it out to someone just posting screenshots, maybe we should just be happy we have a competition this great?

I wouldn't be opposed to being able to use default AND TG settings (provided TG's are harder, which 99.9% are). I can't think of the downside here. The hardcore can play and submit to TG, the casual MGL guys can play whatever their cab is set to without having to record. Win/Win? Maybe we would place lower on the scoreboards due to settings? But if we're part of the hardcore, maybe we should just suck it up, its all fun after all.

Anyway those are my half drunken ramblings. Thoughts?

My stream - http://www.twitch.tv/barranz - Pop in and say hello!

State
    Taylors Lakes
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    86 Post(s)
    I agree @Barra...OOO does an amazing job and I feel that he doesn't get enough credit for the time he takes to get this comp up and running each season.

I think that the .inp is a great way to sort out the cheats...but I agree it would be time consuming for every post that comes through...so this is my idea on a solution.

Keep everything the way it is now through out the four seasons

When the final scores are tallied up the top 10 play off...THIS IS WHERE .INP's MUST BE USED...ONLY IN THE FINAL

Only 5 get paid out

It would be a quick fire round consisting of only 5 games in 5 days for example (this is just a quick idea)

The final scores are worked out and prize money is handed out to the top five.

The benefit here is that if you decided to cheat through out the entire series ...it wont mean a thing cause you will be found out in the final play off and wont end up with any cash.

This I think this will ensure only the best players (who dont cheat) end up winning cash rightfully without any doubt in other players minds.

Its just an idea but I think it can solve the issue of cheating while still keeping the average players (like me) happy in competing against some of the best in the world.

Your thoughts?

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra View Post
    its all fun after all.

I agree with nearly everything you said Barra, apart from the quoted bit.......because TG settings are NOT fun, they are not designed to be fun they are hardcore and they suck the fun right out of it for more casual gamers, which is the vast majority of the original MGL players. For many of us most of the fun of MGL was it was small and local, like having a comp at your local arcade, you actually had a chance of winning sometimes, now every game seems to be attracting some of the worlds best players of that game which is not the original vibe.

I think this new World Champ comp is great, good on Paul, but it's not the MGL at all and part of me wishes he had of used a different name for it, they are two totally different things and I don't think they mix. Anyway it's probably too late to go back now so I will see what happens of the $pic-inp debate.

I'm just gunna post default dip pics from now on as I'm here just for fun, I hope that doesn't upset anyone, it will be declared so I can be excluded from leaderboards and prizes some games the dips don't matter so I will still have a crack at some of them.
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1428 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barra View Post

I wouldn't be opposed to being able to use default AND TG settings (provided TG's are harder, which 99.9% are). I can't think of the downside here. The hardcore can play and submit to TG, the casual MGL guys can play whatever their cab is set to without having to record. Win/Win? Maybe we would place lower on the scoreboards due to settings? But if we're part of the hardcore, maybe we should just suck it up, its all fun after all.

That is a really interesting idea, a sort of handicap system for the elite Arcade gamers of using TG dips, and playing against casual gamers on standard dips. It's very likely you guys would still win, but it might provide a closer playing field for us casuals, and provide a situation where the casuals don't feel like they are a little athletics kid going up against Usain Bolt

State
    Tasmania
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1279 Post(s)
    I agree with any idea that includes default dips.
    Sometimes the MGL inspires me to beat PBs on my cab which is great, but my PBs are all default I have no desire to play 5 ships hard galaga.
    Track and Field one run through is an ok idea for a comp though and I don't think Commando was any different but Wonder Boy sucked on hard compared to default.
    BITD if you went to an arcade that had all the games set at TG settings you would not return.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app
    Winter is here and I'm still riding more than gaming, my current goal = 100,000 meters elevation gain for the year - well ahead so far

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    518 Post(s)
    KISS
    Keep MGL's informal & fun and orientated around Personal Bests (PB's).
    The points system should match the informal nature of score keeping.
    "2 points per game system" would enable novices & experts to compete.
    * 1 point awarded to the player with the highest score.
    * 1 point awarded to players that beat their personal best.
    Prizes would be low cost mystery gifts (Including participant donations), No cash.

Input files are Mame version dependent and not even usable on every game - Video recording is really the best option if a "MGL Pro" comp is to be had.
    A "Pro" comp can have all the bells & whistles for handicaps & validated scores and all the things that make it harder for a casual gamer to participate.
    Prizes are anything goes provided score validation is secure.
    Last edited by ozfalcon; 28th April 2018 at 02:46 AM.

State
    Brisbane - Wakerley
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Quoted
    492 Post(s)
    The dip settings donít worry me either way as long as everyone is playing the same.

Sometimes a quick games a good game. Take Galaga, if it were on defaults it takes up so much time

Tutankhamun on hard is brutal but itís s challenge

Tomato, tomato

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade
    "Beer, it does a belly good!"

Wanted: Pacman Cab Next Project: Skinny MAME Cab for Samfoot, thread soon, no really. I might even do one on my Pole Position cab!

State
    Sydney
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Quoted
    518 Post(s)
    Just some ideas for MGL Pro
    MGL Pro qualification requirements
    1. Locked Mame Version and ROM file.
    eg. Current (0.196) WolfMame with links to Windows, Mac & Linux binaries.
    Must be run in throttle mode to avoid frame rate/game speed discrepancy.

2. Score / Game play verification.
    Scores submitted by image with video file available on-line for verification.
    Video to be captured with Open Broadcaster Software (Windows, Mac & Linux)
    For consistent video evidence across all platforms (Locked video recording specifications):
    464x372@60hz, Bilinear Filter
    x264 CBR @ 2500, Veryfast CPU Preset.
    Stereo Audio, Sample Rate 44.1khz @ 160Kb/Sec
    ts (Transport Stream) video container.
    Last edited by ozfalcon; 28th April 2018 at 02:06 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information