Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Flip Frenzy On Matchplay.events

I emailed Andreas who runs matchplay.events, about possibly supporting it. He seems to be interested in it as long as people want it. He doesn't really want to invest time on it if people are happy using what they are currently using.

Is this something that people want? I don't know if it would be easier than what people are using now, but I don't think it would hurt and might help the format grow in other countries.

It seems he only needs to see about 15 people with a matchplay account to login to 'upvote' the suggestion that has already been made

Here is the link --> https://matchplay.uservoice.com/forums/595996-general/suggestions/32526337-flip-frenzy-or-pinballpinballpinball-score-trackin

Could someone also please explain Flip Frenzy in detail for him? I am probably not the right person to do that :)

It's definitely chaotic! 30 events in Australia is pretty good. :)

I think the best thing you can do is to ask your fellow AUS tournament organizers to go vote for the Flip Frenzy suggestion in the feedback forum. And more importantly to add as many details as possible on how you envision the tournament format working in Match Play. The less I have to think, the easier it is for me to implement something.

While they're on the feedback website, look around and see what other features they might be interested in.

Flip Frenzy would be a bit time consuming for me to implement because it's so different than other tournament formats (one shared queue, no rounds but continuous play etc), but I look closely at the number of votes before deciding what features to add to Match Play.

All the best,

Andreas

I'm not sure matchplay is the right platform for it.

I started to develop a Frenzy webapp, not knowing Netherworld was also developing one, and I figured you need to make absolutely sure everything is offline safe and error safe, with every impossible scenario in mind (machine fails, player leaves, browser crashes, etc). Once there's a bug or you lose your connection to the server (server is down or your connection is) then the queue grows very quickly, you need to stop the timer, adjust your data manually and cross your fingers!

I don't think matchplay has an offline mode at all, with data sync when the connection is back, to me that's the priority for a Frenzy software (leverage localStorage/IndexedDB browser APIs).

I think Netherworld wanted to make its software available at some point but not sure what's the status on this.

On the other hand, Andreas is a very nice person (I was in contact with him regarding changes in the API) and I'm pretty sure he would be willing to work on this, but he's right, it would really take some time and a lot of testing.

I'm not sure matchplay is the right platform for it.

I started to develop a Frenzy webapp, not knowing Netherworld was also developing one, and I figured you need to make absolutely sure everything is offline safe and error safe, with every impossible scenario in mind (machine fails, player leaves, browser crashes, etc). Once there's a bug or you lose your connection to the server (server is down or your connection is) then the queue grows very quickly, you need to stop the timer, adjust your data manually and cross your fingers!

I strongly agree with that assessment. My first thought when I heard the suggestion was that the error scenarios would give me nightmares. Besides, a polling model won't work because players need to be told that they are supposed to go to machine X now. Implementing that adds a whole extra layer of complexity, and people without a phone that grants permission to the app to alert them are going to be screwed.

IMO, Scott's solution is the perfect one. Keep things local, to minimise error scenarios, and have a really big PA shouting at people "Move your arse!" :)

Michi.

I don't think matchplay has an offline mode at all, with data sync when the connection is back, to me that's the priority for a Frenzy software (leverage localStorage/IndexedDB browser APIs).

This even caught out a player on Wednesday night matchplay with him missing his game cause he coudn't be found and he hadn't refreshed the browser and didn't know the round started. Ended up plunging him out then he arrived just as the last ball drained.

This even caught out a player on Wednesday night matchplay with him missing his game cause he coudn't be found and he hadn't refreshed the browser and didn't know the round started. Ended up plunging him out then he arrived just as the last ball drained.

Well in this case it's more a player error. *if* matchplay supported the Frenzy format, you'd still have to use the organiser view to announce the matches, there's absolutely no way you can expect the queued players to wait for their phone to announce their next game.

Even with Netherworld's software, I think it's still an issue as there's no confirmation the next player is around, so you go to the machine, wait for a minute, go back to the "desk" ask what's going on, and either the player can found, or you get the next one in queue, but you just lost 2 minutes.

In the version I imagined (happy for Netherworld to implement that as well), the organiser would have the option to validate both players are there (or at least the one at the top of the queue) before assigning them to the game. That would delay everything a bit but would avoid penalising specific players.