Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 46

Thread: Home automation retrofit

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    State
    Blacktown
    Posts
    4,112
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)

    Home automation retrofit

    Hey guys I was at a customers place of business and theyíre into some home automation stuff and it really blew my mind of how cool this stuff was. Just wondering if anyone has played with Fibaro or Vera home automation stuff. Itís pretty cost effective so I thought I might start with a few hundred $ worth of stuff and go from there
    In: Houdini, Iron man, RZ, SWLE, TWDLE, Whitewater, WOZ and Xmen
    Out: Avengers Hulk, BOP, BSD, Demo man, Elvis, Flintstones, Frank Thomas Big Hurt, Frankenstein, The Getaway:HS2, Gorgar, Grand Slam, Hobbit, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings, METPrem, Roadshow, Shadow, Spider-Man, STTNG, WCS, Wheel of Fortune, Wild life, WWELE

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    State
    Mulgoa, NSW
    Posts
    5,603
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1120 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Audioenslaved View Post
    Hey guys I was at a customers place of business and they’re into some home automation stuff and it really blew my mind of how cool this stuff was. Just wondering if anyone has played with Fibaro or Vera home automation stuff. It’s pretty cost effective so I thought I might start with a few hundred $ worth of stuff and go from there
    Nope, but I know my cbus shit is not cost effective

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    State
    Sydney
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Audioenslaved View Post
    Hey guys I was at a customers place of business and they’re into some home automation stuff and it really blew my mind of how cool this stuff was. Just wondering if anyone has played with Fibaro or Vera home automation stuff. It’s pretty cost effective so I thought I might start with a few hundred $ worth of stuff and go from there
    I’ve been using z-wave on Vera for over 5 years and it works really well, especially for lighting. Also use it for a few curtains, garage doors, lawn sprinklers, alarm arm and disarm and a few locks. It’s been hooked into Alexa for the last 18 months so all functions are voice controllable. Just started playing with Wemos D1 minis, which are wifi based and super cheap, and planning to use them to control more curtains and garage doors.

    If you are planning to use z-wave for lighting, be aware that you will need neutral lines available behind your switches.
    Happy to talk through any questions or visit.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    State
    Blacktown
    Posts
    4,112
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by djc View Post
    I’ve been using z-wave on Vera for over 5 years and it works really well, especially for lighting. Also use it for a few curtains, garage doors, lawn sprinklers, alarm arm and disarm and a few locks. It’s been hooked into Alexa for the last 18 months so all functions are voice controllable. Just started playing with Wemos D1 minis, which are wifi based and super cheap, and planning to use them to control more curtains and garage doors.

    If you are planning to use z-wave for lighting, be aware that you will need neutral lines available behind your switches.
    Happy to talk through any questions or visit.
    Which controllers have you been using? It looks like the Fibaro ones are 2 or 3 wire so no neutral required but they’re about 110 a controller
    In: Houdini, Iron man, RZ, SWLE, TWDLE, Whitewater, WOZ and Xmen
    Out: Avengers Hulk, BOP, BSD, Demo man, Elvis, Flintstones, Frank Thomas Big Hurt, Frankenstein, The Getaway:HS2, Gorgar, Grand Slam, Hobbit, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings, METPrem, Roadshow, Shadow, Spider-Man, STTNG, WCS, Wheel of Fortune, Wild life, WWELE

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    State
    Sydney
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Audioenslaved View Post
    Which controllers have you been using? It looks like the Fibaro ones are 2 or 3 wire so no neutral required but they’re about 110 a controller
    Mostly Aeotec / Aeon Labs.
    I tried a few other brands but they were not as stable and reliable as Aeon. Never tried
    Fibaro.
    Right at the beginning I tried a couple of units that didnít need neutral, but they more often than not did not respond and also ghosted quite badly, especially with LED bulbs, so I returned them and coughed up for the additional electrical work.
    If they were at least reliable, I would have tried to address the ghosting with some kind of pass through or suppression.
    It would definitely be worth trying the Fibaro, but make sure you test it with all possible configurations (multiple bulb types, number of lights per circuit, downlights, dimming, non dimming etc) before you make any major decisions.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    State
    Blacktown
    Posts
    4,112
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by djc View Post
    Mostly Aeotec / Aeon Labs.
    I tried a few other brands but they were not as stable and reliable as Aeon. Never tried
    Fibaro.
    Right at the beginning I tried a couple of units that didn’t need neutral, but they more often than not did not respond and also ghosted quite badly, especially with LED bulbs, so I returned them and coughed up for the additional electrical work.
    If they were at least reliable, I would have tried to address the ghosting with some kind of pass through or suppression.
    It would definitely be worth trying the Fibaro, but make sure you test it with all possible configurations (multiple bulb types, number of lights per circuit, downlights, dimming, non dimming etc) before you make any major decisions.
    Yeah I’ve got a few led down lights floating around I’ll just makeup a panel and go from there. Which controller did you go with the edge or the plus?
    In: Houdini, Iron man, RZ, SWLE, TWDLE, Whitewater, WOZ and Xmen
    Out: Avengers Hulk, BOP, BSD, Demo man, Elvis, Flintstones, Frank Thomas Big Hurt, Frankenstein, The Getaway:HS2, Gorgar, Grand Slam, Hobbit, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings, METPrem, Roadshow, Shadow, Spider-Man, STTNG, WCS, Wheel of Fortune, Wild life, WWELE

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    State
    Sydney
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Audioenslaved View Post
    Yeah I’ve got a few led down lights floating around I’ll just makeup a panel and go from there. Which controller did you go with the edge or the plus?
    Iíve got an Edge, which was the newest at the time of my last upgrade and twice the price it is now :-). It works perfectly with a few plugins and 30+ devices on it, but get a Plus if you are happy to pay the extra $100.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    State
    Blacktown
    Posts
    4,112
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1069 Post(s)

    Quote Originally Posted by djc View Post
    Iíve got an Edge, which was the newest at the time of my last upgrade and twice the price it is now :-). It works perfectly with a few plugins and 30+ devices on it, but get a Plus if you are happy to pay the extra $100.
    Itíll only ever be for a small to medium sized home so Iím guessing that 30+ kind of devices is where Iíd be at too. Are the extra bits worth it for the extra $100?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In: Houdini, Iron man, RZ, SWLE, TWDLE, Whitewater, WOZ and Xmen
    Out: Avengers Hulk, BOP, BSD, Demo man, Elvis, Flintstones, Frank Thomas Big Hurt, Frankenstein, The Getaway:HS2, Gorgar, Grand Slam, Hobbit, Judge Dredd, Lord of the Rings, METPrem, Roadshow, Shadow, Spider-Man, STTNG, WCS, Wheel of Fortune, Wild life, WWELE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    State
    Sydney
    Posts
    555
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    175 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Audioenslaved View Post
    Itíll only ever be for a small to medium sized home so Iím guessing that 30+ kind of devices is where Iíd be at too. Are the extra bits worth it for the extra $100?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If all devices are going to be z-wave, probably not worth the extra.
    In my case, planning to do some MQTT integration with OpenHab for additional reporting and Alexa skill development, so the additional cpu and memory wouldnít hurt.
    You also never know what zigbee devices will be available in future.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    State
    Gold Coast
    Posts
    3,242
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)
    Running Home Assistant on a docker on Unraid File Server (can use Pi3)
    Vera running 1 Zwave powerpoint (LOL) - a bit exe for me and we don't so I'm about to play with Tplink powerpoints - I'm probably going to ditch Zwave.
    Arduino as a MQTT gateway for sensors - DIY sensors (temp, humidity, motion detectors and reed switches, pool temp & pH, irrigation)) - need to print some cases for all sensors
    Broadcom mini & Pro for IR & RF devices (fans & TV)
    Waiting for Sonos stuff to become Aus Certified - cant wait
    Lights - Milight Bulbs & downlights - unfortunately not available now with Aus certification ( NZ guy was selling the downlights with certification. Ditching the 4 zone wifi gateway and building ESP8266 gateway with unlimited zones. I highly recommend the Milight bulb now as Google Home, OpenHab and HA support them natively and 1/4 price of a Philips Hue! Also the milight can now remember the last state when the light is switched off from the wall.
    Planning to do underbench LED's in laundry and outside.

    I just hate the cost of sensors (1) @ &60-$80 when you can build one for $8! inc case.

    Programming done in NodeRed (gives the ability to port all your code to another system ie OpenHab.

    Really wanted to go OpenHab but at the time no Google certification and Google & Philips Hue went to the cloud so milights didnt work.

    Blue Iris (VMS) running on SFF i5 with a test Hikvision Cam (wiring done but saving up for cams)

    Everything is basically on the bench but have simple commands for lights and fans.

    Got a nice white 8" Lenovo Tablet for mounting to wall with charging (That project was a big one in itself due to WAF factor)

    Except the lights, everything is in Beta stage but working. I did a lot of planning while renovating (gutted house except bedrooms)

    Time (more than money) was my only regret as I would have liked to run relays at switch box and low voltage lines to light switches (similar to CBUS but a crapload cheaper and better).
    Also put as much cat6 even thought you think you wont need it!

    I plan to put a post up soon but this is a good thread start for Home Automation
    Pinball Meets...I love em

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •