Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Home automation retrofit

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1396 Post(s)
    This is the control board the Robo 500 uses.
    https://www.riasztobolt.hu/pictures/...al_robo500.pdf

What is good about the NICE product is it is an auto learning gate operator. There are no limits as such. To set it up you start the gate and it moves very slowly till it hits a solid stop. It memorizes this position. It then reverses again till it hits a solid stop. It memorizes this position. These positions are counted via a internal pulse counter. ( I think it is something like 60 pulses per motor revolution). Internal is excellent as you have no external limits that can be hit or broken off. Just think what happens to a gate when a limit comes off.

Now the operator knows exactly what the pulse count is from one end of the other, gate fully open to gate fully closed. It then adds in slow down periods each end of travel. This enables the gate to start at high speed all the way to the end of the opening or closing phase and about a meter away from it's travel, slow down till it stops about 5mm away from the solid stop. It is pretty cool to watch and more importantly, stops the gate from banging but still allowing the gate to travel fast, you really don't want a slow gate like the NeoSlide is.

You would hook the after market remote receiver up to the "Step by Step" input and not use the factory onboard remotes.

If you want a switch inside the house you use 3 wires. One to common, one to step by step and one to open.

Common to step by step "momentary" switch allows you to fully control the gate exactly like your after market remote.

Common to open "locking" switch allows you to hold the gate fully open till the switch is turned off. Just remember if you leave this switch on, the remotes and other switches will have no effect till this switch is turned off. It overrides everything.

One thing I forgot to mention on the install of any brand. Make sure you put conduit under the gate. 25mm conduit is ideal as it allows for many cables. Your PE beam wiring will definitely go through this conduit but you will more than likely add to that.

State
    Gold Coast
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Quoted
    319 Post(s)
    Thanks again Steve. Appreciate all the help. First thing is getting the fence up. Ive got a ton of bookmarks now to get ready for my gates. Cheers
    Pinball Meets...I love em

State
    NSW
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    658 Post(s)
    Have you done any solar and battery ones @Autosteve?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1396 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1.21 Gigawatts View Post
    Have you done any solar and battery ones @Autosteve?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade
    Well if you are using a 24volt system, you hook 2 batteries to it and a solar charger to the batteries from the 24volt or 2 12 volt panels. As long as there is 24volt, the system knows no different. That is exactly how it works running on battery backup without the solar panels and regulator. If it is a 240volt mains powered motor moving the gate, it's a lot harder.
    All the board logics runs on 5 volt and 12volt DC but this is done on the board itself. You just supply 24volts to the board.

To do this I would strongly suggest a low volt unit.

Never installed a solar but worked on a few when things went wrong. Most of my installs were comercial and some domestic and mains was there at the gate location.

State
    Wollongong, NSW
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    146 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sleazius View Post
    Nope, but I know my cbus shit is not cost effective
    I fitted C-Bus when we built in 2005
    It is expensive but looks nice, works, has warranty, and you can do plenty with it, and it is still available

State
    Barden Ridge NSW
    Mentioned
    195 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1396 Post(s)
    Just thought I would let you guys that want to make your own controllers for your automation, I have many actuators, sliding gate drives, swing door mechanisms and even commercial sliding door assemblies.

Most assemblies have everything needed except working control boards although I do have a big collection of working control boards that can be adapted to get them working. Most motors in the assemblies are either 12 or 24vDC so if you are confident you can control these DC motors, these assemblies might just be what you are after.

I got all these parts for automation projects for the farm but as always, I couldn't say no to anything that turned up.
    Last edited by Autosteve; 7th April 2019 at 09:45 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread Information