State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      71 Post(s)
      Quoted
      366 Post(s)
      Australia

How often we play our pins?

Sorry if this has been covered, but I am interested in how often and what times of the day/week people usually play their pins. In other words, what are your playing habits?

For me, it’s when I am in the mood and when time permits. Obviously the commitments of family life can be trying with school/kinder, food shopping and preparation, house cleaning/upkeep and duties, garden maintenance, walking dog, pressure from wife to do ‘family stuff’, etc. Don't get me wrong, my family will always come first, but trying to find my pin time can be challenging at times. Although I only work part time, I find myself playing my machines late at night after work when Mrs and kids asleep. I find I get into ‘the zone’ and play better without the interruptions of mobile phone and kids. The pins get turned on for 30-60 mins and I really enjoy myself. Next year when both kids at school, I will most likely play more, but currently, I play 1-2 times a week - so not much really.

Is ‘personal pinball time’ completely random when time permits or do you have arranged session times? I’ve heard of guys playing their machines for hours on a specific night of the week and only on that night. I am considering starting 'FPT' (Family Pinball Time) every Tuesday from 6pm after dinner, but don't want to force kids to play of course, as it might turn them off it. My Mrs will just hog TWD for the entire time anyway!

Do guys without machines (or small collections) play pins on site more than guys with larger collections?

Do you play a certain title when in a certain mood? If I am in a shit mood, I generally play an easier title.

Also, your thoughts on just turning a machine on for 30 mins or should it remain on longer? Will it effect longevity of a machine? I assume it wouldn't.

Looking forward to replies people.

Cheers, Glenn

This user has no status.

----

State
      qld
      Mentioned
      22 Post(s)
      Quoted
      153 Post(s)
      Australia
      I'd play daily but there are those games that I have that don't get a run often

so I'm interested if any technical minded people can advise how often should they be operated or is it OK to leave them in storage for periods of time

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

State
      BROOKFIELD-VICTORIA
      Mentioned
      67 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1449 Post(s)
      England
      Now my kids are young adults and never home my wife and I are also never home lol (we have our life back at last) so I never play-down sized to 1 game and that’s now folded up in the spare room. Always Play if I see one on site of course

is probably slacking off from
      studying

Happy

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      41 Post(s)
      Quoted
      666 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Glenn70 View Post
      Is ‘personal pinball time’ completely random when time permits or do you have arranged session times? I’ve heard of guys playing their machines for hours on a specific night of the week and only on that night. I am considering starting 'FPT' (Family Pinball Time) every Tuesday from 6pm after dinner, but don't want to force kids to play of course, as it might turn them off it. My Mrs will just hog TWD for the entire time anyway!
      I try to play at least once a day as I have some calf stretching physio crap to do that's way more interesting while playing pins. I work from home so throughout the day I'll pop in to the games room as time allows and play a few games.

Tuesday night the missus is out so it's a good time to play pins. I've fiddled around with recording/streaming things recently to see if I can figure out a few problems with things.

Do guys without machines (or small collections) play pins on site more than guys with larger collections?
      I only have a small collection of 3 machines (Pioneer, Space Station and Radical!), but the nearest on site is 75km away at the Australian Pinball Museum so I tend to play at home most of the time. When they have a 3 hour freeplay thing at the APM I'll try my best to get out there for those.

Most Friday nights I go to a friend's place and play his machine for a hour or so. Just to make sure it's all still working fine, etc.

When I'm travelling, I get what I can on site.

Do you play a certain title when in a certain mood? If I am in a shit mood, I generally play an easier title.
      The new game in the house gets first dibs usually. Once the shine has gone off it, I tend to try and play each machine at least once.

Also, your thoughts on just turning a machine on for 30 mins or should it remain on longer? Will it effect longevity of a machine? I assume it wouldn't.
      I tend to think the less time things are on the better. Older EMs there's a few hold coils that are on the whole time the machine is on. The longer they're on, the hotter they get. Likewise, the shitty GI connectors seem to be problematic on some of the solid state machines. Again, the longer they're on, the hotter they get, which increases the speed of the oxidation reaction, which increases the resistance, which increases the heat, etc. The less time it's on, the longer that will last. The plasma displays have a limited lifespan too so again, so less time spent idling in attract mode the better.

With more modern machines, I don't know because I don't own one (yet).

This user has no status.

----

State
      Wa
      Mentioned
      39 Post(s)
      Quoted
      198 Post(s)
      Australia

My pinball playing can go from every night to maybe once or twice a fortnight. Always at night after the kids are in bed except maybe a game on the weekend if time permits.
      If I have a restoration on the go,I can go without a game for weeks. I seem to enjoy restoring just as much if not more than playing.
      I’ve only got 9 games so not a big collection. I can play the one game over and over to death for a bit, then go a while where I have a go on everyone in one night.

is probably slacking off from
      studying

Happy

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      41 Post(s)
      Quoted
      666 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by john17a View Post
      I'd play daily but there are those games that I have that don't get a run often
      so I'm interested if any technical minded people can advise how often should they be operated or is it OK to leave them in storage for periods of time
      In my experience, batteries leaking and leaf switch contacts getting a bit dicky are the two main issues. The first one is easy to avoid, either pull the batteries before storage or replace them with nvram or whatever. The latter is just something you deal with and more of an issue with EMs than solid state machines. Others with more extensive collections might have other gotchas to watch out for.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      71 Post(s)
      Quoted
      366 Post(s)
      Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Boof ed View Post
      My pinball playing can go from every night to maybe once or twice a fortnight. Always at night after the kids are in bed except maybe a game on the weekend if time permits.
      If I have a restoration on the go,I can go without a game for weeks. I seem to enjoy restoring just as much if not more than playing.
      I’ve only got 9 games so not a big collection. I can play the one game over and over to death for a bit, then go a while where I have a go on everyone in one night.
      Yes sounds similar to me I guess. Sometimes I go weeks without playing and then go quite a few days in a row playing the crap out of them. I also get satisfaction from restoring. 9 games is a decent collection.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Wa
      Mentioned
      39 Post(s)
      Quoted
      198 Post(s)
      Australia

Yes sounds similar to me I guess. Sometimes I go weeks without playing and then go quite a few days in a row playing the crap out of them. I also get satisfaction from restoring. 9 games is a decent collection.
      That’s a good question. When does a small collection become decent, decent become big and big become a holy shit that’s huge a collection?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

is pondering his future career
      path...

Amused

State
      South Australia
      Mentioned
      12 Post(s)
      Quoted
      186 Post(s)
      Australia
      How long is a piece of string? Time is relative too Ha ha

pinball god is offline Malfunction...... Malfunction
      is Wants to win a hobbit pinball

Down

State
      victoria
      Mentioned
      48 Post(s)
      Quoted
      702 Post(s)
      Australia
      Play everyday pretty much. Sessions can be a single play to multiple plays and titles. My games can be turn on for only minutes most times.

Can get rough with any of my games when in a bad mood, but usually can't be bothered nudging/shoving much. Best games are when i'm not trying to get to wizard modes or posting a highscore.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information