Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Installing mirror blades on TAF

Hi all,

I am looking for advice/guidance on how to install mirror blades on an Addams Family pinball machine. I am concerned about scratching the blades when the playfield is raised and lowered, there is not much space between the edge of the playfield and the inner side of the cabinet. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Matthew

Adhesive (soft side) velcro down the sides of your playfield. I did this on Tron and I am pretty sure it does not have one scratch on it! And i have lifted and lowered the playfield a ton as I have spent way to much money on it. :laugh:

Can get it from Spotlight and other places.

You can buy protectors that slide over the blades so you don't scratch them when raising and lowering the playfield:

https://pinballsupernova.wordpress.com/2017/10/21/pinball-repair-pinball-universe-game-blades-and-inside-of-cabinet-protector-video-review/

https://pu-parts.com/pinball-assembly-blades

Michi.

They look awesome, thanks for the links :023: Shipping might be a killer though.

Adhesive (soft side) velcro down the sides of your playfield. I did this on Tron and I am pretty sure it does not have one scratch on it! And i have lifted and lowered the playfield a ton as I have spent way to much money on it. :laugh:

Can get it from Spotlight and other places.

Great tip, thanks!

Or do what I do and lift the playfield up very carefully and evenly, keeping it straight. No scratches yet.

It is very difficult to do with the swivel system on TAF, I would prefer not to take the risk.

Cheers,

Matthew

Another question - can I just use the 3 screws and the hinge bolt to secure the mirror blades to the cabinet, or will I need tape too?

Cheers,

Matthew

I never use double sided tape on mine. Would probably make the gap even smaller.

I never use double sided tape on mine. Would probably make the gap even smaller.

That's what I was thinking too. Does the blade sit hard up against the side of the cabinet with just the 3 screws and the hinge bolt holding it?

Cheers,

Matthew

Mine does not. But never has been any real issue for me. I actually only use the front screw and the big cabinet bolt in the back. I have found using the middle screw can make the blade push away from the top. I know it sounds strange but that what it has done for me.

In my experience if it’s a tight fit already, then felt on the playfield just get squeezed off. Most times I’ve had some sort of rubbing on the mirrors. That’s life. The thing I don’t like is when the screws stick out too much and rip into the playfield. To prevent this I’ve either countersunk the holes myself (before installing) or used the flattest and roundest head screw I could find. Lifting the playfield up and out and turning it sideways and putting back in the cabinet carefully is sometimes possible if there’s enough wiring slack. This makes it much easier to access the now clear cabinet sidewall. Lastly I use three of those Bunnings spring loaded clamps to hold the blades in place while I screw then in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

In my experience if it’s a tight fit already, then felt on the playfield just get squeezed off. Most times I’ve had some sort of rubbing on the mirrors. That’s life. The thing I don’t like is when the screws stick out too much and rip into the playfield. To prevent this I’ve either countersunk the holes myself (before installing) or used the flattest and roundest head screw I could find. Lifting the playfield up and out and turning it sideways and putting back in the cabinet carefully is sometimes possible if there’s enough wiring slack. This makes it much easier to access the now clear cabinet sidewall. Lastly I use three of those Bunnings spring loaded clamps to hold the blades in place while I screw then in.

I reckon that will happen with the felt, it really is a tight fit. I will give it a go anyway, I might be surprised. If it doesn’t work, I might try some thick paper or cardboard. Thanks for the tips regarding the screws and clamps :023:

Cheers,

Matthew

On the couple of swivel playfields I’ve put blades on I’ve had success with putting a washer or two onto the swivel bolts to pack the sides out just a tiny bit. The washers rest against the playfield pivot bracket. Keeps a nice little even margin.

Oh if you try this, cut a piece of timber to hold sides out when reinstalling playfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Boof Head

Matthew,

I reckon no two machines are exactly the same as the gap does seem to vary a little, especially between manufactures. I have put mirror blades on several machines from DE titles like TFTC & LW3 and also Williams machines like HS2 & WH20, new Stern's like GOTG & TWD. Also have a STTNG with blades on at my house too (I didn't do that one).

On each application, I have used the 3 screws but make sure they are screwed in well and straight at 45 degrees to the timber. If you screw them in on the slightest angle, part of the screw head will protrude out further than wanted. Some screws that come with the blades are not the best to use also, as it depends on where you sourced your blades from. You may have to take a trip to Bunnings to get a more suitable screw. I always use the thinnest double sided tape from Bunnings as well (white coloured tape), to just hold the top of the blade against the timber. I have never had any issues and have never scratched any of my blades. I am no expert at all but what I have seen in the hobby with pinball machines, many things can often be done differently as each person has their own method they are happy with. As long as you achieve the final result and look you are after, it's all good.

Yes, the gap can be an issue but you must just be careful when lifting up the PF. You will find what works for you. I'm sure you'll be fine and good luck.

To offer an alternative, I just used good thin double sided tape on mine. No screws at all.

4 years later they have not moved.

Perfect example of things being done differently and having the same result, if not, better. Might try this method.