Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Cftbl restorations

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That picture is after I’d taken the paper off. There is frisket/painters mask on the playfield. If you can zoom in you’ll notice it. It’s like a contact film. Took around 3 hrs to trim all the pink bits last night. Very time consuming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely beautiful Boof .. looks a treat after all you hard work. A stupid question, but how do you trim? I understand that you used a hobby knife but trying to understand what you trim against to get the areas? If that makes sense. Cheers mate and well done.

Cftbl restorations

Cheers JoshZ. I suppose you could say I’m making a stencil from the frisket. Using the scalpel like a pen you have to draw around the areas you want in the particular colour you’re doing. It can be tricky. Press too light and the frisket doesn’t cut properly and will pull up when you remove the piece to paint. Press too hard and the scalpel will follow any grain in the playfield ply. Small curved or intricate bits are a bitch!

Cftbl restorations

Here’s some it the fun bits. Like I said earlier, 3 hrs prep and I don’t think it even took 30 seconds to spray. Guys that are restoring playfields for people earn every cent they charge. 254f8d99903eb654e49ccf0669a54e9f.jpgfe21518248d19751062c271b8f424d22.jpgd730298e2ee22741e5d23f41efad5554.jpg5843738f63e82e66875f075e26e47f1c.jpg

Yup that sounds very tricky ... just getting that feel I imagine. Maybe a few test pieces first. I'm way way overthinking as I still have some mylar which I'm too scared to remove, have no idea how to strip a playfield and still have lots of electronic stuff to fix. I was just really interested in what you did and the results you achieved. I'll settle down a bit but I'll remember this for when I'm a bit more skilled. Stay cool, best, Bret

Cftbl restorations

So while I’m at it. Next up is sorting all this mess out. 42525d9b13f5542af157cac61cf5f666.jpg

Wiring harness has been chopped clean in half. c4e730178671a9c4d53ef58fc922c7c6.jpg

All hardware has just been thrown into a bag and buckets.

I’ve put all the boards into my players creech and woo hoo! All good to go.

I’m still going to be needing quite a bit for this to complete. Here’s a link to my parts wanted thread.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/93451-Creature-from-the-black-lagoon-parts-wanted

Can anyone tell me if plastics are available anywhere? I can’t seem to find any.

Any help in sourcing parts will be greatly appreciated. I’d really like to save this one and not have to part it even though it’s already parts. [emoji38]

You’d think so. They really tried to make it as hard as possible to rescue, but I’m dumb enough to try.

I’ve had enough of matching wires and needed a break. Cleaning some assemblies should be a good change. d7e7928fd3e73cf3942bbb2e9cf76dff.jpg

That was a great read. Really informative - will be watching with interest. Quick question, how did you find the paint stuck to the inserts? Did you have any problems with transparency or bleeding?

Max

Thanks Maxi. Before any paint went on I rubbed the playfield with 800 grit (very very sphincter tightening) and finished off with a scotchbrite pad to hit any low spots. This gives the whole playfield a good surface for adhesion of paint/clear.

The opaque createx paints aren’t transparent on the inserts. I’ve never used anything else to compare it to either.

The Bleeding. If the scalpel/craft knife blade isn’t extremely sharp you can get a rough edge to the frisket and the paint will bleed and look horrible. Especially on the intricate art.

When I do the second playfield maybe I’ll do some better pictures of the process?

Well, what a job it was sorting the lamp board shit show out!

The wiring was all cut right up close to the harness, so I had to basically open the entire harness up as I went along,do the repair and tie it all back up.

It turned out a lot neater than I thought it would. Here’s some of the stages. 8a586f5c03f03d1f67d36ab1b462def7.jpg32f46b83c84c9d6825f3f5cb8961526e.jpg589a91df8696db7d8be844d86497c718.jpg7d6f98bf336fc4af01f47b912579a0bc.jpgaad4df72d9aa1ef9f205b651c3acff0c.jpg

Uugh I hate doing wiring. Great job and keep it up mate. Nice read and fantastic work so far. Creech always comes up so nice with a resto. New ramps going in or flame polish?

Makes a huge difference and will do justice to your playfield resto. :023:

Uugh I hate doing wiring. Great job and keep it up mate. Nice read and fantastic work so far. Creech always comes up so nice with a resto. New ramps going in or flame polish?

Makes a huge difference and will do justice to your playfield resto. :023:

I’ll have one good set of ramps between the two machines. So New ramps for one and a good clean and flame for the other.