Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Step Up Transformer?

Berty

Question

Long story short, I had a dedicated cab in which I am retrofitting new electronics which run on AU voltage but the internal wiring of the cabinet is 100-110v.

For various reasons I don't want to add a separate 220-240v feed and would rather 'step-up' the 100-110v to 220-240v at the right point in the cab. Question is, can I use a step-down transformer to achieve this if I change the primary and secondary sides around?

8 answers to this question

Howdy - what I mean is using a standard AC step-down transformer in reverse to step-up power from an internal 100v supply. I.e feeding the 100v input into the secondary winding to achieve 220v out of the primary.

Question is, can I use a step-down transformer to achieve this if I change the primary and secondary sides around?

Yes you can providing the current of the old IN winding can handle the current you wish to pull out if it which is normally not the case but not always.

I agree with @Johns-Arcade line of questions though, but the answer to your question, yes.

So the long version of the story is this...

I have a pair of Japanese Daytona DX cabinets. These are 100v and run off a step-down transformer. There is a 100v feed that goes to the monitor from the main cab. The rear-projection unit has now died, so I have retrofitted a ultra short throw projector into the monitor housing. I want to maintain the 4:3 screen ratio at all costs as well as the general aesthetic of the cab.

This new projector uses 220-240v and doesn't have an option to switch the input to 100-110v. So currently I am running a second power cable out of the back of the monitor housing for the projector but I want to keep the cab as close to original as possible. (Yes, I'm choosing to do things the hard way). :)

I want to get the retro-fit to look as original as possible, hence I want to step-up the 100-110v feed that is going through the Sega wiring loom to the rear projection unit to power the new projector.

Isn't it possible to feed the cabinet with 220/240 and step this down inside the cabinet where needed? If you try to step up the voltage with a transformer this is possible but but this is very won't be efficient. And you already stepping the voltage down, again loss of efficiency.

Yes you can set up the transformer as a boost ( step up ) transformer. Remember that watts are watts ! What goes in will come out...so 110v 2amp in ( 220watt) will be 240v 0.9amp out . Would it not be easier to wire off the 240vac plug on the inside of the cabinet then into your projector? Ascetically, you would still have the same external connection to the cab.