Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Colourising DMD - The Getaway

I really want to see World Cup Soccer and Fish Tales colourised for use with Pin2DMD but as I don't think anyone will do it soon I thought I'd try to learn to do it. While playing The Getaway I thought that the DMD looked easier to colourise than either of the two I want done so I figured I'd try to learn how to do it on Getaway so that the more difficult ones that I am more interested in can be done once I have some knowledge.

Firstly I am going to say that I still don't know a lot about doing this. I have watched YouTube videos by Stefan Rinke who created Pin2DMD Editor and it gave me direction however there seems to be a lot missing... I am trying to stumble my way through learning as I go but if anyone knows more about how to do this I'd love them to share their knowledge.

The process is slow and will take a long time for me to actually finish colourising any DMD's and that's if I actually get finished but I hope I do.

Below are a few examples of what I have done so far... actually it is all I have done so far.

Default Palette

[ATTACH=CONFIG]120642[/ATTACH]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hucmcamp64u07b4/Default%20Palette.gif?dl=0

Kickback Lit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]120648[/ATTACH]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8r9znv4oq1p7jo/Getaway%20Kickback%20Lit.gif?dl=0

Ball Lock 1

[ATTACH=CONFIG]120644[/ATTACH]

https://www.dropbox.com/s/24htcbehlrwumvy/Ball%20Lock%201.gif?dl=0

Is that just two frames, or a number of frames?

Looks good.

Now, if you can learn it thoroughly and then do a great tutorial I am sure one or two of us would appreciate it :D

Keep going please :D

It's a number of frames. The Kickback Lit one is 45 frames which have been individually colourised. The Ball Lock 1 is 55 frames. Each frame individually colourised so it takes a while. I need to learn how to use some of the features/tools better to speed things up.

If I get confident using the software I'll do I guide as I think that will encourage others to do some and the more colourisations done the better as far as I am concerned.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure why but the GIF's don't seem to work properly on this site but if you click the link below each one you should see the animation.

Nice work. I imagine it would be very complicated but also very rewarding as you can use your own creativity in choosing colours.

Fish Tales is available in colour at http://shop.colordmd.com/led-displays/

I'm pretty sure World Cup Soccer and Getaway are as well however those ColorDMD colourisations are not compatible with Pin2DMD which is what I have. The Pin2DMD can be fitted to real pinball machines or virtual pinball's (which is what I have). On the virtual you can have the colourisation work for each table that has been colourised already.

Interesting. I wonder if you could just download the color dmd software and convert it somehow to Pin2DMD language. Like how people convert a jpeg to a bmp etc. but I'm sure there is some sort of copyright issue.

I waited for a while thinking someone would come up with a way to do that but I vaguely remember reading that the ColorDMD company will go after any that tries... that could be wrong though.

I haven't even looked at what it costs to buy from ColorDMD as it isn't useful for my purpose.

I waited for a while thinking someone would come up with a way to do that but I vaguely remember reading that the ColorDMD company will go after any that tries... that could be wrong though.

I haven't even looked at what it costs to buy from ColorDMD as it isn't useful for my purpose.

You can Modify anything you own as long as you do not sell it.

If you have it you own it, What they try to prove is that you acquired it illegally. I really can not see that happening with DMD software.

Regardless of the fact my comment on post #12 was said 'tongue in cheek', I don't see why you are trying to defend the bad advise that was given.

Regardless of the fact my comment on post #12 was said 'tongue in cheek', I don't see why you are trying to defend the bad advise that was given.

It was not bad advise it was accurate if he pays to download a software program he owns it and can change it anyway he pleases as long as he does not sell it or gives it to anyone else.

It was not bad advise it was accurate if he pays to download a software program he owns it and can change it anyway he pleases as long as he does not sell it or gives it to anyone else.

The firmware is not sold to anyone, its available for people who buy the ColorDMD.

Legally you're right I guess...but a low act imo. Do your own colouring or buy the colordmd.

I've bought alot off them and dealt with Randy for warranty etc. It has been excellent service and support which you dont get alot from pinball suppliers these days so I think he deserves support in return.

Legally you're right I guess...but a low act imo. Do your own colouring or buy the colordmd.

I've bought alot off them and dealt with Randy for warranty etc. It has been excellent service and support which you dont get alot from pinball suppliers these days so I think he deserves support in return.

Guessing about legalities is probably not the best idea though.;)

I have bought 3 this year from him and will continue to buy and support him. People are all built different.

I have also bought 3 colour dmd's from Randy. The one that I bought for my TOTAN had 3 bad pixels and he sent me a perfect replacement within 1 week. Very friendly, very professional and excellent service. I will definitely be buying more from ColorDMD and supporting them with my custom :081:

Guessing about legalities is probably not the best idea though.;)

With the growing popularity of aftermarket full colour DMDs, it surprises me that nobody has figured out a way of getting VPinMAME to generate every frame of animation for a DMD ROM. Having to play the table to generate a dump is just as tedious as the colourising process, so it's little wonder why so few have been done up to now.

Maybe in time someone will work out a way to get a table to "autoplay" and generate the dump file. Until then I'm on the sidelines as I'm simply not good enough at pinball to even attempt creating a dump file!!

With the growing popularity of aftermarket full colour DMDs, it surprises me that nobody has figured out a way of getting VPinMAME to generate every frame of animation for a DMD ROM. Having to play the table to generate a dump is just as tedious as the colourising process, so it's little wonder why so few have been done up to now.

Maybe in time someone will work out a way to get a table to "autoplay" and generate the dump file. Until then I'm on the sidelines as I'm simply not good enough at pinball to even attempt creating a dump file!!

I do agree that it is a pain. I have chosen games that I believe I can grab all of the animations. I do think that somewhere there is a VPin version when you can control the ball with a mouse which obviously would make things easier but still tedious none the less.

I've currently hit a little snag whereby I can't export my work to test on my Pin2DMD. I am editing on a PC that is not on my cab with the Pin2DMD and am not sure if that is the problem.