Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 35 - Scoreboard

Wow, awesome final write up @OOO it's always nice to see your name in print. I got slack towards the end and missed even a score in Flying Shark :( But again, well organised, lots of fun, a couple of new games I'll keep in my roms list (and several that I won't LOL). Great effort everyone, congrats to those at the top, just too good with those scores :o

Cheers all, look forward to another soon.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great write up Paul and thanks for another MGL - loved it.

We are going to have to all pitch in and get you some sort of referee's jersey (Australian style) to wear to events if you make it back up to the 2nd Kong Off or any other arcade competition.

It's a shame there's animosity towards newer members, or members from a different country. I know I was invited by Paul through TG which I participated in at the time. As far as these games whether I'm participating in a tourney or not I normally record an INP to just try to have my best score on record. not necessarily to submit to a site. Thought it would at least be cool to go back to that recording to watch again some time. I have every intention on playing in the next MGL, and I'm sorry that some members are lacking the enjoyment that others are having.

Thanks very much OOO - great competition and I really enjoyed some of the game selections (Road Fighter was probably my fave). I'm sorry if some members feel that the MGL has lost it's roots, but as a foreigner I've always found the CAG hobby community very inviting, and Aussie Arcade arcade a great forum and resource in general (even if you did win the Ashes). There isn't a big competition scene in the UK. so I've always played across a number of sites (TG Deca, MARP. Jamma+, HighScore.com, etc). I do hope we remain welcome.

Congrats to TIG - awesome.

It's a shame there's animosity towards newer members, or members from a different country. I know I was invited by Paul through TG which I participated in at the time. As far as these games whether I'm participating in a tourney or not I normally record an INP to just try to have my best score on record. not necessarily to submit to a site. Thought it would at least be cool to go back to that recording to watch again some time. I have every intention on playing in the next MGL, and I'm sorry that some members are lacking the enjoyment that others are having.

No creech77 it's not that, there is no and never has been any animosity towards new members or members from a different country. The problem is a fragmentation of the competition across different forums not countries, the MGL was for MANY years a small democracy run comp for Aussie Arcade members, that welcomed new members to Aussie Arcade from anywhere.

Any changes to the rules, the running of the comp and who was running it would be put forward for people to comment and debate before changes were made or not. This suddenly stopped happening when OOO decided that the comp would become fragmented and run separately on different forums and it is now a dictatorship run exclusively by OOO I assume that is because it's nearly impossible to run a democracy across multiple forums. That was also never voted on but because OOO has been doing a good job, but discourages criticism, no-one is publicly bringing up these sometimes negative changes to our old comp. Previously anyone was welcome to join Aussie Arcade to join in the comp and the banter here and they did and that worked. But when the the comp became fragmented we didn't see or know many of the people who suddenly appeared on the scoreboard, they didn't join in our forum or our banter, many people here didn't like that but it was not up for negotiation as it was what OOO wanted and remains the same.

Same goes for TG settings of the dips, the MGL has always been for fun not for world records so there was absolutely no reason to play difficult settings that suck all the fun out of games for anyone but WR grinders. But OOO wants MGL to now be the world record comp and attract that worlds best players so that is not up for negotiation either. We used to swap around the running of the comp and people would put their hand up to run the next one, but it seems to belong to OOO now and no doubt the majority are happy with that. Many of the players at TG have been attracted there because it is a world record site so therefore there is a very different set of motivations, skill levels and expectations there that are somewhat incompatible with the way the MGL has been in the past. I can see that the MGL will continue to change to address the desires of TG members and Aussie Arcade members will have to either come along for the ride or drop out. This was also apparent when I noticed that OOO gives no mention to Aussie Arcade at all on his Facebook promotions of the MGL and only promotes TG. I enquired to OOO about that and he said that most of his FB friends are from TG. Personally I thought that was disrespectful to the Aussie Arcade roots of the MGL and I found the love for the comp slipping away further and I stopped posting scores, which is a shame, I tried and I did play a couple of games, but I just had no real desire to post the scores.

There has already been recent talk of INPs and I have seen one person post an INP of their score here, I assume others are probably posting INPs at TG and wherever else the comp is promoted? I would not be surprised if INPs become mandatory in the MGL future along with TG settings and perhaps even Wolfmame. The lack of these things is what attracted me to the MGL and away from TG and MARP many years ago and the casual default settings and screenshot of MGL was very refreshing. I use Groovymame on my cabs, I am not going back to Wolfmame so I don't bother with TG or MARP at all anymore. If the MGL starts to require these things which I fear it will to keep the TG crowd interested then I will have nowhere left to share my enjoyment of having a casual bash at these games and enjoying some banter with like minded people.

OOO has done a great job of keeping stats, I wonder how many old MGL players have left the comp as we slowly moved away from the core values of what the MGL was? I know a few.

Yes I know not all the old players share my views, and I don't expect those who do agree to back me up publicly as they don't want to be seen as difficult or a complainer. Now that we are the TG MGL most people will not see my comments anyway. I am not going to go on and on and keep posting about this and I would have just slunk off without this post but @creech77 made me realise that my previous comments needed clarification so as to not be incorrectly interpreted.

I hope I find I can get over this in the future and come back and play (if I can meet the requirements) I need to be able to put the old memories of how the MGL was behind me as that MGL is now DEAD. It would be easier for me if the name was changed going forward, but I don't expect that to happen either.

I know some will read this and quietly nod and some will think what is this sour old knob on about again and why does he dis the awesome OOO ?

So I will finish by restating that I do really appreciate and respect that OOO does a heap of great work for competitive CAG, well done OOO :cool: I just wish you had of started your own comp and invited everyone to that rather than changing our MGL into the comp that you wanted.

Nothing is ever perfect and those who won't change are left behind, perhaps that is my future? too old and inflexible for even classic gaming comps :rolleyes

Game on everyone, over the coming week I might find time to play a couple of games like Road Fighter and Flying Shark.

Thanks for organizing and running the competition, it was my first and won't be my last. Can't wait for the next one to improve.

It is a great community here with everyone so friendly and helpful.