Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

What is the best soldering iron temperature?

LAP

Question

I was wondering what the best temperature to set my soldering iron or desoldering tool to ?

Is it different for circuit board work to soldering coils ect under the playfield?

Does it differ from make or game (possible different solder used)?

Thanks

LAP

Jaycar isn't that bad, just a bit expensive for what it is, especially when exact re-branded equivalents can be purchased for half the price.

That said, having spare parts available locally is an amazing luxury.

Their desoldering station works brilliantly.

They do have really good sales on soldering gear, just not very often. I picked up a Thermaltronics station with free tip and tin of tip cleaner for $280 at their last sale, best station I have ever used.

Before I stuck my neck out I looked at this guy's review in a similar OEM solder suker... I love this guy. No bullshit and just the facts with a sense of humor...

I've got a similar unit but am getting fed up with the desoldering gun. The solder solidifies way too quickly in the barrel of the gun and blocks the end of the nozzle. I spend more time cleaning it out than desoldering with it...

I seldom clean mine and it doesn't clog. Just make sure it's hot enough and run the vacuum for a few seconds after sucking up some solder.

Mine is a little different. It's the next model up from the Jaycar unit and has a completely different gun assembly.

I've got a similar unit but am getting fed up with the desoldering gun. The solder solidifies way too quickly in the barrel of the gun and blocks the end of the nozzle. I spend more time cleaning it out than desoldering with it...
I've got the same one. Yes it needs regular cleaning but I couldn't live without it now.

I stuffed a gun on it by drilling out a solder blockage and that just made it clog easier so I bought a new gun assy and it's been good since. I clean the nozzle after desoldering about every 40 pins with the temp at 350 to 375 deg.

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've got the same one. Yes it needs regular cleaning but I couldn't live without it now.

I stuffed a gun on it by drilling out a solder blockage and that just made it clog easier so I bought a new gun assy and it's been good since. I clean the nozzle after desoldering about every 40 pins with the temp at 350 to 375 deg.

Cheers Trev

Whoops, I've done exactly the same thing with the drill. Maybe I've stuffed it. I'll give it another clean tonight and see if I can't get it back in action.

How exactly do you go about cleaning it? I generally just use the cleaning files however they don't seem to be enough.

Whoops, I've done exactly the same thing with the drill. Maybe I've stuffed it. I'll give it another clean tonight and see if I can't get it back in action.

How exactly do you go about cleaning it? I generally just use the cleaning files however they don't seem to be enough.

Yeah I had the same problem when I drilled it out. The files are all I use and check the glass tube and filter if it feels like it's not sucking enough. (No comments please[emoji6])

Try cranking the heat right up.

Cheers Trev not

Nothing that isn't to be expected with mine but I use it probably hotter than you guys.

This stuff may help though...;)

https://www.bunnings.com.au/bossweld-500g-anti-spatter-spray_p6380073

7df12cb3-245e-47ee-b14c-e30269572491.jpg

Welding spatter spray. I would say one drop in the nozzle will fix that pesky problem for a while. It doesn't allow welded steel to take so solder should be no problems at all.

These are not too bad for the price from Rhino Tools but the plastic quality is not great... I have snapped off the little nobs which the solder gun holder attaches to the main box with and after about a 18 months of use the plastic on the gun which hold the metal part of the gun became brittle and cracked.... about 6 months ago the seal on the o ring which seals the clear cylinder to the gun needed a little Vaseline to keep it from loosing pressure.... was causing the tip to get clogged as suction was poor.

Despite all this I would buy it again despite being a little fragile it is fairly inexpensive relative to others I have seen... and there are spare parts, I have just refurbed the whole station by replacing the whole gun and bought extra tips and extra cotton filters all for about $75 which I think is not bad.

One last thing I wish I had done years ago is buy a butane soldering iron... it’s the best thing ever for coils and basically anything under the play field.... no more soldering iron wire which is just too short.

Jason

Despite all this I would buy it again despite being a little fragile it is fairly inexpensive relative to others I have seen... and there are spare parts, I have just refurbed the whole station by replacing the whole gun and bought extra tips and extra cotton filters all for about $75 which I think is not bad.

Correction... the replacement desoldering station gun & tips was only $50 ($35 + $15) + $10 for Shipping (took 2 days)

20180618_074402.thumb.jpg.27ab46282dda4457f8494fff123fa837.jpg

Correction... the replacement desoldering station gun & tips was only $50 ($35 + $15) + $10 for Shipping (took 2 days)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]131193[/ATTACH]

Awesome - I have been looking for a replacement glass tube - now I know where to grab one.

Turned out I didn't break it after all, just had to take it totally apart and bake it out to get all of the debris out. Been working great for a few weeks now.

If you put some of that spatter guard inside the de-soldering nozzle the molten solder will not stick. The stuff should last for many hours before you would need to reapply. It stops weld spatter from sticking to metal so I would imagine solder being no problems at all for it.