• Poorly
  • Sad
  • Secret
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • Tired
  • Wtf
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the best soldering iron temperature?

is having a status just so he
      doesn't have no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      86 Post(s)
      Quoted
      615 Post(s)
      Australia

Weller is excellent. Hakko also make a great all-rounder:

https://www.mektronics.com.au/hakko-...g-station.html
      May the pinballs tumble in your direction!

This user has no status.

----

State
      Barden Ridge NSW
      Mentioned
      136 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1040 Post(s)
      Australia
      I have always used Wellers but after having a couple of different models over the years that are all still sitting here needing parts that are no longer available, I have given up on the over priced Weller product because not only is a product as good as it is working, it also needs to have spares available in years to come which I learnt, they don't.

Now days I just use Jaycar soldering equipment that is cheaper, easier to get and the saving I buy a heap of spares when the product is current.

The way I see it is every iron will die and need parts sooner or later to keep it going but if you can't get the parts it becomes a throw away no matter how much you payed for it.

I have an excellent Weller temp controller iron here that needs a temperature sensor for the tip. The iron was over $500 10 years ago but it is a door stop now without a working sensor that can't be bought.

For less than $500 I now have a Jaycar temperature controller soldering iron....
      https://www.jaycar.com.au/48w-temper...ation/p/TS1564
      A de-soldering station...
      https://www.jaycar.com.au/80w-desold...ation/p/TS1513
      And a butane solder iron for doing large solder jobs like coil terminals but I also use them for battery terminals and other large soldering jobs as well as "working from the tool box".
      https://www.jaycar.com.au/pro-piezo-...l-kit/p/TS1318

I bought collection of tips, heating elements, temp sensors etc for each of the tools.

With these three tools, there isn't much soldering jobs I can't do and considering I usually have a soldering tool in my hand a couple of times a week, if I can get 5 years out of these tools I'm ahead.

If I was still at a bench for hours on end and the iron was going 24/7 I could justify possibly a Weller or Harko and when the company pays, who gives a shit but these days it is me paying and I prefer the diversity of tools over one specialized expensive tool.

By the way, nothing beats that butane solder iron to do 5 volt regulators or coil terminal wires. Quick and fast.

Frank_fjs is offline Geek it till it MHz
      is on PCE overdrive!

Piratey

State
      Adelaide
      Mentioned
      28 Post(s)
      Quoted
      441 Post(s)
      Australia
      Jaycar isn't that bad, just a bit expensive for what it is, especially when exact re-branded equivalents can be purchased for half the price.

That said, having spare parts available locally is an amazing luxury.

Their desoldering station works brilliantly.

They do have really good sales on soldering gear, just not very often. I picked up a Thermaltronics station with free tip and tin of tip cleaner for $280 at their last sale, best station I have ever used.
      SEGA love: click | Nintendo love: click
      PC Engine love: click | Latest retro finds: click

This user has no status.

----

State
      Barden Ridge NSW
      Mentioned
      136 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1040 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
      Jaycar isn't that bad, just a bit expensive for what it is, especially when exact re-branded equivalents can be purchased for half the price.

Before I stuck my neck out I looked at this guy's review in a similar OEM solder suker... I love this guy. No bullshit and just the facts with a sense of humor...

is hiding bodies

Drunk

State
      Truganina, Victoria
      Mentioned
      355 Post(s)
      Quoted
      2573 Post(s)
      Australia
      What weller part number can’t you get @Autosteve?

This user has no status.

----

State
      Barden Ridge NSW
      Mentioned
      136 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1040 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by wiredoug View Post
      What weller part number canít you get @Autosteve?
      The iron is buried here someone mate. Both Element 14 and RS Spares said part no longer available. It was the second reprieve for that iron.

The first part to go obsolete was actually the tips but I was lucky enough to be at Altronics and they had a dump lot of 5 "Weller tips" I recognized would suit. That kept the iron going for another year before the temperature probe failed.

I even tried a new complete iron/ cable assembly but they were all gone as well. Seems I wasn't the only one thinking that way.

The story goes it was the last iron to have the temperature probe in the neck of the iron before they went to the probe being in the tip itself.

When the new step up come out, the old was made obsolete. Shame, it was a nice iron.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Sydney, NSW
      Mentioned
      51 Post(s)
      Quoted
      416 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post

That said, having spare parts available locally is an amazing luxury.

They do have really good sales on soldering gear, just not very often. I picked up a Thermaltronics station with free tip and tin of tip cleaner for $280 at their last sale, best station I have ever used.
      Quote Originally Posted by Autosteve View Post
      Before I stuck my neck out I looked at this guy's review in a similar OEM solder suker... I love this guy. No bullshit and just the facts with a sense of humor...
      I've got a similar unit but am getting fed up with the desoldering gun. The solder solidifies way too quickly in the barrel of the gun and blocks the end of the nozzle. I spend more time cleaning it out than desoldering with it...

Frank_fjs is offline Geek it till it MHz
      is on PCE overdrive!

Piratey

State
      Adelaide
      Mentioned
      28 Post(s)
      Quoted
      441 Post(s)
      Australia
      I seldom clean mine and it doesn't clog. Just make sure it's hot enough and run the vacuum for a few seconds after sucking up some solder.

Mine is a little different. It's the next model up from the Jaycar unit and has a completely different gun assembly.
      SEGA love: click | Nintendo love: click
      PC Engine love: click | Latest retro finds: click

is joining the Dark side

Happy

State
      NSW
      Mentioned
      164 Post(s)
      Quoted
      792 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by ocyen View Post
      I've got a similar unit but am getting fed up with the desoldering gun. The solder solidifies way too quickly in the barrel of the gun and blocks the end of the nozzle. I spend more time cleaning it out than desoldering with it...
      I've got the same one. Yes it needs regular cleaning but I couldn't live without it now.
      I stuffed a gun on it by drilling out a solder blockage and that just made it clog easier so I bought a new gun assy and it's been good since. I clean the nozzle after desoldering about every 40 pins with the temp at 350 to 375 deg.
      Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
      It doesn't hurt to ask.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Sydney, NSW
      Mentioned
      51 Post(s)
      Quoted
      416 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by BIG Trev View Post
      I've got the same one. Yes it needs regular cleaning but I couldn't live without it now.
      I stuffed a gun on it by drilling out a solder blockage and that just made it clog easier so I bought a new gun assy and it's been good since. I clean the nozzle after desoldering about every 40 pins with the temp at 350 to 375 deg.
      Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
      Whoops, I've done exactly the same thing with the drill. Maybe I've stuffed it. I'll give it another clean tonight and see if I can't get it back in action.

How exactly do you go about cleaning it? I generally just use the cleaning files however they don't seem to be enough.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information