Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Battle of the Arcades Australia - June 9th and 10th

Hey mates

Lock the 9th and 10th of June in your diary’s for Australia’s biggest arcade vs arcade event ever.

Arcade players from across 4 states will be competing head to head to be crowned Australia’s best arcade team.

On Saturday the 9th each bar will hold an internal comp to determine their 8 best players to represent them on the Sunday. On the Sunday it will be a nerve racking one game best game head to head shoot out. Bar vs bar. Mate vs mate. Arcade vs arcade.

Invites have been sent to

QLD:

• Netherworld - Yes
  • 1 Up Freeplay Arcade - Yes
  • Pincadia - Yes

NSW:

• 1989 Arcade Bar & Kitchen - Yes

VIC:

• Pixel Alley - Yes
  • Bartonica - No

S.A:

• Gameroom Essentials - Yes

W.A:

• Player 1 - Yes

Daft format below:

• The competition will be played over 12 unique arcade videogames as nominated by each of the arcades.
  • Each arcade will nominate 2 arcade games for the competition.
  • Nominated games must be either common to all the arcades in the competition or be readily available on MAME or 60 in 1 boards.
  • Nominated games therefore must be playable with a standard 2, 4 or 8 way joystick and standard buttons.
  • No light gun, driving simulator, or other games with special controls can be nominated unless all the arcades have that specific machine.
  • Each arcade will establish a team of 8 players by holding an internal comp on the Saturday.

Saturday 10am to 6pm:

• Each player may have as many attempts at each game as he or she wishes within the timeframe, however no single attempt may last longer than 60 minutes.
  • All attempts are to be made with 1 credit only, NO CONTINUES
  • Each player must play all 12 of the listed games, either on original arcade hardware, MAME or a 60 in 1 board.
  • Each game must be set to TG settings unless different settings are decided upon prior to nominations closing.
  • If a player expects to be able to play a game for 45 minutes or longer on a single attempt, that game must be timed so as not to exceed the 60 minute limit.
  • Each game is to be played in 1 player mode only.
  • Top 8 proceed to the team event on the Sunday

Sunday 10am to 6pm:

• Players may warm up prior to 10am.
  • Each player gets one attempt at each game. No continues. No second chances.
  • If a player expects to be able to play a game for 45 minutes or longer on a single attempt, that game must be timed so as not to exceed the 60 minute limit.
  • Players from all teams will submit scores to a central database using the matchplay.events online software.
  • Each venue must live stream via twitch at least one cab for the duration of the event.
  • At the conclusion of play all players will be awarded points based on his or her rank on all 12 games. 1st ranked player on each game will be awarded 100 points, with 2nd ranked awarded 99 points, 3rd awarded 98 points and so forth
  • Each player will have his or her points awarded from each of the 12 games totalled to determine an individual champion of the competition.
  • The total points of each team member will be added to determine the total points of each team. The team with the highest total points shall be crowned the Australian Battle of the Arcades Champion!

Nominated Games:

Netherworld

• Donkey Kong
  • Frogger

1989 Arcade Bar & Kitchen

• Galaga
  • Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior (original SF2)

Pincadia

• Gyruss
  • Pac-Man

1 Up Freeplay

• Double Dragon
  • Raiden 2

GameRoom Essentials

• Burger Time
  • Bubble Bobble

Pixel Alley

• Tapper
  • Dig Dug

Player 1

• Moon Patrol
  • Bomb Jack

Edited by Jimmy Nails

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is going to be really cool if the other arcades get on board.

We will probably have to split up some of the Brisbane guys since Brisbane is the new Arcade Capital of the World :)

@Foot @Brad - you guys gonna play in this? Who else are MGL players that we can get into this comp?

Scratch me for Donkey Kong and wtf Street Fighter :confused:.

Just realised, I'm away that week =/

Brad

Oh bugger :(

I doubt any one arcade is going to find 8 people who are good to great at every single game. It will be interesting how it all pans out. I assume 1 Up are going to be in on this, you can pretty much count me out of any game they pick - I'm useless at the more modern stuff and a complete newb on fighters.

This is a really cool idea and I'd love to see it come to fruition.

Speaking from my experiences at Pixel Alley and Bartronica, I know BT doesn't have a dedicated Frogger machine and only has Super Street Fighter 2, rather than classic SF2 on arcade at the moment. Both barcades have Galaga machines, but not in straight up original boards. BT has it in the three in 1 (Mappy/Galaga/Xevious) whilst Pixel Alley's is one of the modern Namco museum cabinets.

Does Netherworld have 1942? If I were to get involved, this would certainly be my pick from Bartronica. (Or Golden Axe or maybe Double Dragon...)

I'm looking to visit both barcades within the next few weeks, so I'll definitely raise this topic with the bartenders there and see what the general feeling is. Seems like there's an invitation here to possibly reignite the Tyson vs Jackson rivalry in Point Blank which would be fun too. :)

This is a really cool idea and I'd love to see it come to fruition.

Speaking from my experiences at Pixel Alley and Bartronica, I know BT doesn't have a dedicated Frogger machine and only has Super Street Fighter 2, rather than classic SF2 on arcade at the moment. Both barcades have Galaga machines, but not in straight up original boards. BT has it in the three in 1 (Mappy/Galaga/Xevious) whilst Pixel Alley's is one of the modern Namco museum cabinets.

Does Netherworld have 1942? If I were to get involved, this would certainly be my pick from Bartronica. (Or Golden Axe or maybe Double Dragon...)

I'm looking to visit both barcades within the next few weeks, so I'll definitely raise this topic with the bartenders there and see what the general feeling is. Seems like there's an invitation here to possibly reignite the Tyson vs Jackson rivalry in Point Blank which would be fun too. :)

I'd say most arcades would have access, or could easily obtain multi-boards that will have all the games on them, so having originals won't be a must. And what isn't on the mutli-board is available on MAME which is also fine. 1942 is on the 60-1 boards, and AFAIK it plays identical to the real deal.

Gun and steering wheel games are a problem though as you can't really play them properly on multi-board or MAME unless you have the equipment which I doubt anyone has to easily set up.

1942 is an absolutely awesome scrolling shooter. One of the few shooters I would class might self as being "ok" at. The rest I'm just downright terrible at.

Hi guys, Drue here from Pixel Alley. Sorry I haven't been active as yet trying to deal with some issues at work but very keen for this to happen.

I'll have a long hard think tomorrow about what I have and what I suspect people also have and decide what games Pixel will nominate.

Glad to be apart of this

Edited by Dungeon Master
Felt like a dick with a title

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for taking the lead on this. You are awesome for setting this up.

We nominate Pacman and Gyruss.

Does the team also have to have at least one staff member? We would also like to add one small extra twist to the make up of the teams. We think that at least one member has to be female.... 😉 Cheers!

Regards, Dave - Pincadia Woolloongabba.

Hi Jimmy,

Does the team also have to have at least one staff member? We would also like to add one small extra twist to the make up of the teams. We think that at least one member has to be female.... Cheers!

Brilliant idea. Lock it in!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok. Original thread updated mates

Netherworld

Donkey Kong

Frogger

1989 Arcade Bar & Kitchen

Galaga

Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior (original SF2)

Pincadia

Gyuss

Pac-Man

Hi Jimmy,

Does the team also have to have at least one staff member? We would also like to add one small extra twist to the make up of the teams. We think that at least one member has to be female.... Cheers!

Would it just work that if there's a woman in any arcade's top 8 on the Saturday the quota is met, and if not, 8th ranked drops out to make way for the female member?

If not for Pixel Alley, it seems that unfortunately I'd be reduced to spectating online rather than participating live, bah can't have that! I spoke to Aaron at Bartronica last week and he seemed as disappointed as me that it might not work out for them.

Thus, all the best with the negotiations, Drue - Melbourne and Victoria arcade fans are now counting on you! As I said in my PM to you, be sure to get in contact with Phil Day to possibly get you sorted for the Galaga side of things!

Man, I'd so love to get into some competitive Raiden 2 action...

Edited by Pessimeister

If not for Pixel Alley, it seems that unfortunately I'd be reduced to spectating online rather than participating live, bah can't have that! I spoke to Aaron at Bartronica last week and he seemed as disappointed as me that it might not work out for them.

Thus, all the best with the negotiations, Drue - Melbourne and Victoria arcade fans are now counting on you! As I said in my PM to you, be sure to get in contact with Phil Day to possibly get you sorted for the Galaga side of things!

Man, I'd so love to get into some competitive Raiden 2 action...

I need to get Raiden 2 in the bar, as well as the other one I don't have at the moment. Will talk it over with some people I know and see what I can get done!

I need to get Raiden 2 in the bar, as well as the other one I don't have at the moment. Will talk it over with some people I know and see what I can get done!

Don't forget multiboard and MAME is okay to play on if you can't get the original machines. No one arcade is going have all original machines, I guarantee it.

scoped out '89 for dinner this evening, what a great place , should have taken better photos of the whole place

forgot a shot of gng next to the bar, free!

had a go in raiden II and mk

IMG_20180423_203357.thumb.jpg.9a27cf7ab16430a7cc3833228122aa17.jpg

nice spacies

IMG_20180423_210025.thumb.jpg.60acdc8bb3a9cbf1b023507e12ee6e91.jpg

really like this defender cabaret near dunny

IMG_20180423_210218.thumb.jpg.618eaf56b3acb6209ecbfef318871e3b.jpg

outside , quite full when we left, its a monday night !

IMG_20180423_210738.thumb.jpg.13558f540c49aca06f88c952cb9565b2.jpg

only in newtown would you sew this lol

IMG_20180423_210910.thumb.jpg.c178f50fb52ce633647ec6f092e7835d.jpg

So it's official, there is something you must all know...

Pixel Alley will compete! We will hold up the Victorian Flag high!!

Took a lot of dealing but I managed to get us into the race!! Now please make sure this doesn't blow up in my face else I will never hear the end of it lol