QLD
      Mentioned
      75 Post(s)
      Quoted
      79 Post(s)
      Australia

Battle of the Arcades Australia - June 9th and 10th

Hey mates

Lock the 9th and 10th of June in your diary’s for Australia’s biggest arcade vs arcade event ever.

Arcade players from across 4 states will be competing head to head to be crowned Australia’s best arcade team.

On Saturday the 9th each bar will hold an internal comp to determine their 8 best players to represent them on the Sunday. On the Sunday it will be a nerve racking one game best game head to head shoot out. Bar vs bar. Mate vs mate. Arcade vs arcade.

Invites have been sent to
      QLD:
      • Netherworld - Yes
      • 1 Up Freeplay Arcade - Yes
      • Pincadia - Yes

NSW:
      • 1989 Arcade Bar & Kitchen - Yes

VIC:
      • Pixel Alley - Yes
      • Bartonica - No

S.A:
      • Gameroom Essentials - Yes

W.A:
      • Player 1 - Yes

Daft format below:
      • The competition will be played over 12 unique arcade videogames as nominated by each of the arcades.
      • Each arcade will nominate 2 arcade games for the competition.
      • Nominated games must be either common to all the arcades in the competition or be readily available on MAME or 60 in 1 boards.
      • Nominated games therefore must be playable with a standard 2, 4 or 8 way joystick and standard buttons.
      • No light gun, driving simulator, or other games with special controls can be nominated unless all the arcades have that specific machine.
      • Each arcade will establish a team of 8 players by holding an internal comp on the Saturday.

Saturday 10am to 6pm:
      • Each player may have as many attempts at each game as he or she wishes within the timeframe, however no single attempt may last longer than 60 minutes.
      • All attempts are to be made with 1 credit only, NO CONTINUES
      • Each player must play all 12 of the listed games, either on original arcade hardware, MAME or a 60 in 1 board.
      • Each game must be set to TG settings unless different settings are decided upon prior to nominations closing.
      • If a player expects to be able to play a game for 45 minutes or longer on a single attempt, that game must be timed so as not to exceed the 60 minute limit.
      • Each game is to be played in 1 player mode only.
      • Top 8 proceed to the team event on the Sunday

Sunday 10am to 6pm:
      • Players may warm up prior to 10am.
      • Each player gets one attempt at each game. No continues. No second chances.
      • If a player expects to be able to play a game for 45 minutes or longer on a single attempt, that game must be timed so as not to exceed the 60 minute limit.
      • Players from all teams will submit scores to a central database using the matchplay.events online software.
      • Each venue must live stream via twitch at least one cab for the duration of the event.
      • At the conclusion of play all players will be awarded points based on his or her rank on all 12 games. 1st ranked player on each game will be awarded 100 points, with 2nd ranked awarded 99 points, 3rd awarded 98 points and so forth
      • Each player will have his or her points awarded from each of the 12 games totalled to determine an individual champion of the competition.
      • The total points of each team member will be added to determine the total points of each team. The team with the highest total points shall be crowned the Australian Battle of the Arcades Champion!

Nominated Games:

Netherworld
      • Donkey Kong
      • Frogger

1989 Arcade Bar & Kitchen
      • Galaga
      • Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior (original SF2)

Pincadia
      • Gyruss
      • Pac-Man

1 Up Freeplay
      • Double Dragon
      • Raiden 2

GameRoom Essentials
      • Burger Time
      • Bubble Bobble

Pixel Alley
      • Tapper
      • Dig Dug

Player 1
      • Moon Patrol
      • Bomb Jack
      Last edited by Jimmi Nails; 17 Hours Ago at 03:18 PM.

is jumping from cube to cube to
      make them change colour

Crazy

State
      Brisbane
      Mentioned
      210 Post(s)
      Quoted
      2206 Post(s)
      Australia
      This is going to be really cool if the other arcades get on board.

We will probably have to split up some of the Brisbane guys since Brisbane is the new Arcade Capital of the World

@Foot @Brad - you guys gonna play in this? Who else are MGL players that we can get into this comp?

is rage tilting

----

State
      QLD
      Mentioned
      75 Post(s)
      Quoted
      79 Post(s)
      Australia

Ben from 1989 Arcade Bar & Kitchen has thrown down Galaga and Street Fighter 2: The World Warrior (original SF2)

Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This user has no status.

----

State
      Queensland
      Mentioned
      1 Post(s)
      Quoted
      10 Post(s)
      Australia
      Shaping up to be a really challenging list of games! Gonna be awesome!

Brad is online now Cheeky Bastard
      is Bah!

Bemused

State
      Brisbane, Australia
      Mentioned
      172 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1321 Post(s)
      Australia
      Scratch me for Donkey Kong and wtf Street Fighter .

Just realised, I'm away that week =/

Brad

make them change colour

Crazy

State
      Brisbane
      Mentioned
      210 Post(s)
      Quoted
      2206 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
      Scratch me for Donkey Kong and wtf Street Fighter .

Just realised, I'm away that week =/

Brad
      Oh bugger

I doubt any one arcade is going to find 8 people who are good to great at every single game. It will be interesting how it all pans out. I assume 1 Up are going to be in on this, you can pretty much count me out of any game they pick - I'm useless at the more modern stuff and a complete newb on fighters.

This user has no status.

Tired

State
      Vic
      Mentioned
      2 Post(s)
      Quoted
      15 Post(s)
      Australia
      This is a really cool idea and I'd love to see it come to fruition.

Speaking from my experiences at Pixel Alley and Bartronica, I know BT doesn't have a dedicated Frogger machine and only has Super Street Fighter 2, rather than classic SF2 on arcade at the moment. Both barcades have Galaga machines, but not in straight up original boards. BT has it in the three in 1 (Mappy/Galaga/Xevious) whilst Pixel Alley's is one of the modern Namco museum cabinets.

Does Netherworld have 1942? If I were to get involved, this would certainly be my pick from Bartronica. (Or Golden Axe or maybe Double Dragon...)

I'm looking to visit both barcades within the next few weeks, so I'll definitely raise this topic with the bartenders there and see what the general feeling is. Seems like there's an invitation here to possibly reignite the Tyson vs Jackson rivalry in Point Blank which would be fun too.

make them change colour

Crazy

State
      Brisbane
      Mentioned
      210 Post(s)
      Quoted
      2206 Post(s)
      Australia
      Quote Originally Posted by Pessimeister View Post
      This is a really cool idea and I'd love to see it come to fruition.

Speaking from my experiences at Pixel Alley and Bartronica, I know BT doesn't have a dedicated Frogger machine and only has Super Street Fighter 2, rather than classic SF2 on arcade at the moment. Both barcades have Galaga machines, but not in straight up original boards. BT has it in the three in 1 (Mappy/Galaga/Xevious) whilst Pixel Alley's is one of the modern Namco museum cabinets.

Does Netherworld have 1942? If I were to get involved, this would certainly be my pick from Bartronica. (Or Golden Axe or maybe Double Dragon...)

I'm looking to visit both barcades within the next few weeks, so I'll definitely raise this topic with the bartenders there and see what the general feeling is. Seems like there's an invitation here to possibly reignite the Tyson vs Jackson rivalry in Point Blank which would be fun too.
      I'd say most arcades would have access, or could easily obtain multi-boards that will have all the games on them, so having originals won't be a must. And what isn't on the mutli-board is available on MAME which is also fine. 1942 is on the 60-1 boards, and AFAIK it plays identical to the real deal.

Gun and steering wheel games are a problem though as you can't really play them properly on multi-board or MAME unless you have the equipment which I doubt anyone has to easily set up.

1942 is an absolutely awesome scrolling shooter. One of the few shooters I would class might self as being "ok" at. The rest I'm just downright terrible at.

This user has no status.

----

State
      Victoria
      Mentioned
      0 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1 Post(s)
      Australia
      Hi guys, Drue here from Pixel Alley. Sorry I haven't been active as yet trying to deal with some issues at work but very keen for this to happen.

I'll have a long hard think tomorrow about what I have and what I suspect people also have and decide what games Pixel will nominate.

Glad to be apart of this
      Last edited by Dungeon Master; 1 Week Ago at 01:56 AM. Reason: Felt like a dick with a title

Brad is online now Cheeky Bastard
      is Bah!

Bemused

State
      Brisbane, Australia
      Mentioned
      172 Post(s)
      Quoted
      1321 Post(s)
      Australia
      I still can't believe its on when I'm overseas =/

Looks like a fantastic event!