Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

So what have you been 3D printing?

Sorry guys if this is a waste of time as I'm not into 3D printing (yet) but I found this site that enables people (even without 3D printing equipment or software) to view STL files. You don't even have to load any software. I downloaded a file that may be useful for my metallica pinball and wanted to see what it looked like. Took seconds to view it. Here's the link

https://www.viewstl.com/

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thought I should put these posts in a more relevant thread.

Made some target supports similar to ryzas ones.

I also got the time lapse feature working on octoprint!

My own design. Even the thin one (far right) is surprisingly strong. Super thin ones were just tests for sizing

9af1cfdc8084d1a156b6375b36d74eac.jpg

ef029d8927e4b451ec9d3b7ba04e61f8.jpg

Next thing I'd like to do would be to see if I can make something more visually appealing on my xmen. I want to replace the wolverine figure but still be more like the newton ball mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which RPi did you end up using for octoprint?

Time lapse feature looks good.

I found an extension that allows you to exclude part of the print bed, if one part fails, you can still continue with the others. (I'll see if I can find the link)

Red

Which RPi did you end up using for octoprint?

Time lapse feature looks good.

I found an extension that allows you to exclude part of the print bed, if one part fails, you can still continue with the others. (I'll see if I can find the link)

Red

I had a old rp 1 b. One annoying thing is that the USB cable provides enough power to the printer to have the LCD on while the printer is powered off. I did find a script that can turn it off just not sure how to integrate it into octoprint.

That extension sounds great!

I also want to experiment with manual filament swapping. Just need to find a reason to do it.

• 2 weeks later...

Having real issues getting my bed flat so I'd ordered a th3d leveller kit. Also added replaced the fans with some sunflo maglev ones from altronics.

Currently designing some mounts for some reed switches I'll be using on my garage doors.

I also got a Kinect ($25 including ac adaptor) tonight so I want to see if I can get a decent scan of wolverine figure off my xmen pin.

Well, I don't think I'll be scanning with any good detail any time soon. Did what I thought was a decently verbose scan of a little dog model I have which is similar in size to wolverine. Took around 120 images at two different heights.

Detail isn't probably good enough for what I want to do. I'll do some more research and see if more images would have helped.

7cdf87b8e106f2ec6eb6368628ea444d.jpg

68f692376d72d681bba10b3ebe5d39d1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My leveler and fans arrived. I got a hardwired one so I didn't have to bother with an extra power point.

*deep breath*

60mm fan made a big difference to ambient non printing noise of the printer.

As the ender 3 didn't have a bootloader I had to reflash one using an uno.

Talk about a sphincter tightening experience.

Couldn't get my printer to be detected. Solved that.

Couldn't get the adruino environment to connect to my printer board. Solved that.

Couldn't get the bootloader to successfully apply to the printer board. Solved that.

Couldn't get the Marlin firmware to flash a working copy (z axis would only go in one direction). Solved that tonight.

Forgot that I needed to print a mount for the sensor.

Reflashed a stock marlin so I can print that [emoji4]

I'm glad im doing this for "fun" and hopefully this leveler works as advertised.

c70a70a16c673ba9e8e8cd68886924e8.jpg

So much wasted pla

31b84cf93778caec1786a5d914a6f1df.jpg

Edited by Koops

Leveller in and working [emoji6]

First test print in progress.

b045b9f637f487f45925351a0ca8eb71.jpg

I also saw a good tip about using glue on the bed. Instead of the normal wipe on glue stick and then print they put glue and metho (I used isopro alcohol) and then smoothed it out with a paper towel. This puts a super thin layer of glue onto your bed.

I just tried it and it seems result in a much more consistent surface.

6e1e08c437b2c245749e2cb60ab07830.jpg

Left is leveller with alcohol and glue

Right just glue stick.

First layer is significantly better [emoji6]

Edited by Koops

Has anyone used / can reccomend an online 3d printing service in Australia ?

I tried to use 3DHubs in the US and their online interface is great, lets you see your print in 3-dimensions plus tells you shortfalls of the design and what material and method you should use for best results (after you upload your file, i used an stl file) and the price wasn't too bad for a large print of an Arumbaya Fetish (might need to look it up, no it's not what you think) $21 USD. but shipping killed it.

hoping there's a decent service locally here in Australia.

Hey what state are you in @Jed we have an awesome guy here in Adelaide called Michael Tyson who owns http://www.3dprintingsolutions.com.au/

He chargers $5 per hour depending on the medium that you want to use and how long it takes.

Nice guy which is a bonus.

- Con

I'm in NSW, far south coast. Thanks for that, i will get in touch ! Hopefully he can do wood filament.

if i can get the Arumbaya Fetish printed by him i'll post pics here for reference with cost.

I'm in NSW, far south coast. Thanks for that, i will get in touch ! Hopefully he can do wood filament.

if i can get the Arumbaya Fetish printed by him i'll post pics here for reference with cost.

If it fitted with in the print size for an Aldi printer and you could handle Orange, Id print it for you, just pay postage

If it fitted with in the print size for an Aldi printer and you could handle Orange, Id print it for you, just pay postage
That's an awesome offer, thank you. I don't mind color as I'd be painting it. Gladly pay for filament too.

What size can the Aldi printer handle?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Edited by Jed

Quick test print of my minified wolverine sculpt. I wanted both the sculpture AND the newton mod. Surely I could just scan it and print one right?

Well ...

It looks rough due to the layer height (did it as fast as possible). Its also not the right scale yet. I wanted to get an idea of if it was worth while fixing up scan errors (you can see one on his left cowl ear).

I just measured where it would go and I estimate it's currently about 50% of the maximum size that would fit.

wolverine_cura.jpg.d9e1c0ef4b37d378fbe819b28a23bd9c.jpg

b9047bc6787c998da400816ff9c9f592.jpg

Black filament is so hard to get a good photo of. He looks like a lotr orc!

2374b4c5eede6d7212dac5ac747e7ab2.jpg

52ae4f564af67208d021429049150e0e.jpg

e0b0ffd55fd761ebd0265f851834b906.jpg

Edited by Koops

That's an awesome offer, thank you. I don't mind color as I'd be painting it. Gladly pay for filament too.

What size can the Aldi printer handle?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Aussie Arcade mobile app

Sorry for late reply, I didnt get the quote notification So missed the post.

the one I have isnt a very big Print size 120 x 135 x 100mm (Width x Depth x Height

If the size is bigger, there is the option to cut the object in half, Print in separate parts and glue together.

Not worried about the filament costs, I wasted a tonne of it when I first got the machine figuring out the best settings on failures and yet still seem to have a tonne of fillament left even after all the Those failures and the tonnes of successful prints from then on, the roll seems almost endless lol

Seems most of my printing issues of late had a root cause.

Octoprint and the raspberry Pi I was using. It was too slow to keep up sending commands and resulted in poorer quality. ( http://lokspace.eu/bad-print-quality-with-usb-or-octoprint-the-solution-is-here/ )

7be4ea0124271be624383efedf4c035f.jpg

Size comparison.

e1c49efa6d54f327c8755afd603e574e.jpg

Supports removed, pinball for scale. I'm stoked with how it came out!!! Can you tell [emoji6]

61d55ece37b475c3eb412c685429e076.jpg

47bb04d205d68e658983f9b6ebfed709.jpg

ea2860bab53af48878d626a740c79c42.jpg

Edited by Koops

@Koops thats Sort of why I Ummed and ahhed about getting into 3d printing for so long. As it would have driven me nuts lol

You need would need to really enjoy trial and error stuff on hard ware and so on to do the kit style ones.

The hard core guys love doing it like you have, But I couldnt have done it. Once they are done though they are very good obviously.

Hence why I went the Aldi route, I took the easy way out lol

Hats off to you, I couldnt have done it and good to see its coming along nicely

Hahah. I'd say I'm far from hardcore. I'm blinding finding my way through this. I only have very small windows to play with it too so I'm not spending much time on it.

My "kit" was mostly assembled. It was only the upper printer stuff that wasn't.

If you can put together pc components you can do a printer "kit".

Hahah. I'd say I'm far from hardcore. I'm blinding finding my way through this. I only have very small windows to play with it too so I'm not spending much time on it.

My "kit" was mostly assembled. It was only the upper printer stuff that wasn't.

If you can put together pc components you can do a printer "kit".

Ahh I figured you must have built one of those 3d printer kits that allot of 3d printer guys seem to build then Mod them to extreme levels lol.

Allot of guys seem to buy certain 3d printers as they can just go nuts and mod them. Is yours one of those printers?

Anyway you should give your self some credit I dont think what your doing is that easy.

When I first was considering buying a 3d printer I was looking at a few kits on GearBest, some had great reviews from the 3d print community but those guys Know how to mod them and make them amazing printers, When I looked at the details todo so It went way over my head lol.

what scanner are you using? was that wolverine scanned with a kinect?

Sorry for late reply, I didnt get the quote notification So missed the post.

the one I have isnt a very big Print size 120 x 135 x 100mm (Width x Depth x Height

If the size is bigger, there is the option to cut the object in half, Print in separate parts and glue together.

Not worried about the filament costs, I wasted a tonne of it when I first got the machine figuring out the best settings on failures and yet still seem to have a tonne of fillament left even after all the Those failures and the tonnes of successful prints from then on, the roll seems almost endless lol

thanks again, i'm really interested to see how this turns out. 2 pieces/glued together is fine - the actual object is a 'broken idol' statue from the book Tintin and the Broken Ear so two pieces fits the theme anyway. A mate of mine is turning 50 early next year and he's a massive Tintin fan, we talk about this statue a fair bit. (we are tintin nerds, lol) His kids are right into it too, would love to put something together for him as a small side gift. you can buy these as actual wood statues through Tintin merch but they are crazy expensive, licenced or not...

I'm seriously thinking about a 3D printer to buy now, but the choice is so overwhelming. I'd like a large (30x 30) print capacity, there's a TEVO thunderbolt or lightining or some-bloody-thing that is about $600 that is currently sitting top of my list.

incoming pm :)

Ahh I figured you must have built one of those 3d printer kits that allot of 3d printer guys seem to build then Mod them to extreme levels lol.

Allot of guys seem to buy certain 3d printers as they can just go nuts and mod them. Is yours one of those printers?

Anyway you should give your self some credit I dont think what your doing is that easy.

When I first was considering buying a 3d printer I was looking at a few kits on GearBest, some had great reviews from the 3d print community but those guys Know how to mod them and make them amazing printers, When I looked at the details todo so It went way over my head lol.

what scanner are you using? was that wolverine scanned with a kinect?

Printer

mine was an ender 3 kit off aliexpress with local sydney stock/

For reference this is an unboxing/build video ~ 1.5 hours from unbox to first print.

Mods i've done so far, all free unless marked.

cable clips ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2960375 )

lcd sound silencer ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2943218 )

cable chain ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2920060 )

Filament arm ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2917932 )

filament guide ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2894097 I'm going to replace this with something else)

nozzle fan guide ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2912394 )

z axis cable hook ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2920629 )

z knob ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3014508 )

ender 3 tool boxes

x and y rubber motor dampeners (~ $3) ( https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2018-3D-printer-part-17-Stepper-Steel-and-Rubber-Vibration-Dampers-for-3D-printer-part/32844873239.html )

easy auto bed leveller (purchased $65USD th3d)

piece of glass ($20AUD local glazier near work). I actually removed it for the big wolverine print.

raspberry pi + octprint (from my pinball spares)

usb hub

logitech c920 (from my pinball spares). Made my own mount based on a mix of cable chain and another c920 mount.

ikea usb lights (jansjo usb)

replaced power supply fan (~$20) ( https://www.altronics.com.au/p/f1147-sunon-60mm-24vdc-maglev-vapo-bearing-fan/ )

replaced hot end fan (~ $10) (th3d)

I was so close to putting an order in on a prusa mk 3 but thought this would be a cheap way to dip my toe and see if I wanted to pursue it.

Its a drop in the ocean compared to what we spend on pins though [emoji6]

I probably get perhaps 3-4 hours a week of free time total so i'm not spending a heap of time on it.

I can start a print and check on it later.

Most of the work seems to be in understanding relationships between the slicer software options/settings and the actual print rather than the printer itself.

What happens for me is that I do a print. Encounter an issue. Research it and find the setting that can effect that. Tweak and try again.

Scanner

It tried a kinect but it was far to low res for the details on wolverine (see the dog toy scan).

Instead I had it scanned for me, really good detail ~ 1 million+ triangles. Way too much for my printer but might aswell have it [emoji6]

If I don't like how the model looks when it's painted I may have a run with a 0.2 or a .1 nozzle (default is .4).

wolverine_scan.thumb.jpg.2677d85bc8b77d4a04aea926e74902ed.jpg

Edited by Koops
added links