Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

So what have you been 3D printing?

Very nice result.

Im just in the process of printing a pi camera enclosure then a pi case for octoprint to mount on my printer.

Using a more recent Pi generation for your octoprint? I had issues with an older generation Pi in that it couldn’t keep up with the amount of Gcode in the job which resulted in poorer jobs. Went back to using the sd card until I get it sorted as it was more consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrators

Im going to buy a Pi 3 B+ for it, but at the moment I just want the camera running so I am using one of my older units, being the Pi 2 model B. I am intending to swap the stock firmware at some stage as well, but that will probably be a task I will do when I get around to replacing the hotend with a all metal one, most likely something like the Titan Aero.

When I get the new Pi 3 unit, I will let you know how it goes running the printer.

I’m using marlin on my ender 3. Will be getting a 1.1.5 board next month when they come out. The 1.1.4 silent boards aren’t being made anymore and they’re out of stock.

• Administrators
I’m using marlin on my ender 3. Will be getting a 1.1.5 board next month when they come out. The 1.1.4 silent boards aren’t being made anymore and they’re out of stock.

I swapped out hte stepper drivers on my for the TMC2208 after a few days of having the i3 Mega. I hate the sound the stepper motors make when they are not getting a nice sinusoidal signal. I did the same thing with my laser engraver.

• Administrators
I have done a couple of small test prints using the Pi 2 model B as the controller and so far I have not run into any issues. Im trying another print now with timelapse recording as well to see how it goes. I think if anything would cause it problems, the timelapse would, but so far so good.

I have done a couple of small test prints using the Pi 2 model B as the controller and so far I have not run into any issues. Im trying another print now with timelapse recording as well to see how it goes. I think if anything would cause it problems, the timelapse would, but so far so good.

My problem was just large gcode files, small ones were fine. I’d have to have a look at the size of the files I had problems with. The symptoms to look for are non-smooth prints. My time lapse during those prints worked fine which was why I couldn’t figure the problem out.

• Administrators
I did another print today using the PI which took a bit over 5 hours without any issues other than the PETG losing adhesion to the bed right before it finished and ruining the print. grrr.

Just a project recommendation to you guys that like using your 3D printers. I recently sold a heap of Taito parts and one that stands out was the coin door yellow blanking plate all Taito doors use except when it has a start button that is the reason this hole exists on the coin door in the first place.

I got hammered by guys asking about these plates and unfortunately, I only had two for sale and sold them at $10 a piece. I could of sold 15 of these things. One guy was going to buy a whole door solely for that plate. I agree, not a big earner but I think a constant earner for your efforts maybe and simple to make as well as quick to turn out.

Here's some pictures so you know what they look like and roughly what size. Anyone interested in exact dimensions, let me know and I'll get them off my new one I have....

Front view...

Manc2DUl.jpg

Backview...

P2uPmj8l.jpg

Measured...

IFVE4rsl.jpg

So what have you been 3D printing?

a1ab9670cdcabf04eaa36a011cf51e8a.jpg

5d96effe58d53f344b04d0ae227c91f7.jpg

The model has a really cool snap lock face plate design.

3fac21d291cf59962e4d8fe976af31a5.jpg

55c6a7db333d8781845a22b1db133d93.jpg

Prototype pop bumper cover (not painted)

427802e5f8d5ad2b71718c8576ce1df4.jpg

a109e70dff3799177a0cce63ac61aeef.jpg

Edited by Koops

• 2 weeks later...

looks killer, nice work - were the files up at thingiverse?

- - - Updated - - -

currently working on a replacement Ghostbusters Fire Station for Ghostbusters, still got a bit to go and did complete the windows today

screen-capture-28.png.d0f935b3c3d64eabcc14a8ce6d10c0c9.png

looks killer, nice work - were the files up at thingiverse?

- - - Updated - - -

currently working on a replacement Ghostbusters Fire Station for Ghostbusters, still got a bit to go and did complete the windows today

https://www.aussiearcade.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=149878

Yep here : https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3605295

Your designs are great.

I’d like to make a stark tower for my machine. Haven’t found an existing model.

Have you seen "savage builds" adam savage prints a titanium iron man inspired mk1 suit

• Administrators

Nice job Koops.

I have been designing and printing parts for my Eleksmaker A3 Pro laser.

I purchased some longer lengths of 2040 v-slot which has turned the unit from 300x400mm to 600x450mm now.

First I made some new cable holders for the Y Axis to allow the full travel length of the gantry.

holder.thumb.jpg.9b926ef962cd583ffb54cff232aed784.jpg

holder2.jpg.6797a821ca93130224eba18d2a9b68ea.jpg

Then I designed and printed some legs with microswitch holders for the limit / home switches for the Y axis.

LeftLeg.jpg.28a58c7b8c251bf275f618d779162472.jpg

LeftLeg2.jpg.b0e61e94e0c50dc577ae8de507cd3167.jpg

I need to reprint all the legs as I have realised that an addition 20 - 40mm under the unit will be a big benefit when trying to print on certain items. I also printed some X axis switch holders for the limit / home switches. Finally I added some 10x10 drag chain to the X axis gantry and along the right side of the Y axis and will be adding one more 7x7mm chain on the left side for that stepper motor cable.

Finally I recompiled grbl 0.9g with the limit / homing switches enabled and flashed it to the arduino. I ended up having to fit a couple of 100nf capacitors across the limit switches to make the homing reliable.

The only thing to test then was that the unit still worked.

A couple of months ago, a friend of mine asked if the unit could cut paper and cardboard etc? I know that I have seen videos of this being done, but I had not tried it. At the same time I wanted to try out Lightburn software on linux as I am hoping to run this on a Pi3 B+ or other sbc.

I tried using the trace option on my logo, but it has too many similar colours and was not working well, so I tried with Jomac's logo and it worked quite well after converting it to black and white. This was the result after working out the correct speed settings. I ended up using 2 passes at 20mm/s at 100% laser power with my 2.5W laser head.

jomac.jpg.3c002cfb1c5c6b7264cabb27a8920a3e.jpg

Have you seen "savage builds" adam savage prints a titanium iron man inspired mk1 suit

Yeah I can’t believe they did all that work to 3d metal print those part then just drilled and riveted them together :/ might aswell have just used sheet metal.

It was a bit generous to say Adam did it as it was that other company that made the parts from designs sent to them by marvel.