Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Hey all youse panel beaters/ spray painters

I’m getting some fibreglass parts from South Africa that will be painted in automotive paint. I’m wanting to go for a nice solid (not metallic) yellow. What I’m thinking is to pick something from a car that is sold in both countries it made in just one to be one hundred per cent sure of the tone. I guess if the tone is in the ballpark it will be ok but if I ever need to touch it up it would be handy to just have the code rather than trying to match it.

Straight up I like the yellows that Audi and Hyundai do and I figure they are both made in the same factories respectively to export to both South Africa and Australia.

I guess im asking if anyone like that does solid colours anymore and also is reasoning orrect in ensuring colour?

This yellow is one I’d be happy with:

https://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up_paint/Hyundai/2018-Hyundai-Veloster.html

Hi Danny

I think it is prudent to pick a colour code from a car manufacturer. However that's about where it ends. There are 3 things to consider,

1. These codes are a manufacturers guide for a standard. The truth of the matter is they could paint 500 yellow Hyundai's in a row at the factory and the one at the front of the line is likely to be different to the one at the end of the line. They also manufacture and paint the same cars and colours at different factories globally....with different brands of paint.....

2. There are many, many different paint companies that manufacture and sell paint and coatings to all sections of the world (and all panel beater/spray painters) There are 4-5 premium brands globally. But many others that are just fine.

3. Air pressure, the applicator themselves, the type of gun, and the way the paint is mixed all have bearing on how the colour comes out.

I think the best way to put your mind at ease is to explain how we do it here (in the modern world)

We acquire the code, we follow a standard procedure to polish the paint we want to match (adjacent or same panel) We put the digital spectrometer on the surface and take an image, the computer will then use a global data base to find the best possible match (taking into account using the code, and if wished a wider spectrum without the code) you then mix up and spray out. If not to standard you re- spectro the spray out and the original panel, and the computer will give us a totally acceptable match.

Damn - why would you want to do our job ? !!

In short......pick the colour you like, or get someone here to paint your parts, and mix up extra.

Edited by mrscags

• Administrators
Hi Danny

I think it is prudent to pick a colour code from a car manufacturer. However that's about where it ends. There are 3 things to consider,

1. These codes are a manufacturers guide for a standard. The truth of the matter is they could paint 500 yellow Hyundai's in a row at the factory and the one at the front of the line is likely to be different to the one at the end of the line. They also manufacture and paint the same cars and colours at different factories globally....with different brands of paint.....

2. There are many, many different paint companies that manufacture and sell paint and coatings to all section of the world (and all panel beater/spray painters) There are 4-5 premium brands globally. But may others that are just fine.

3. Air pressure, the applicator themselves, the type of gun, and the way the paint is mixed all have bearing on how the colour comes out.

I think the best way to put your mind at ease is to explain how we do it here (in the modern world)

We acquire the code, we follow a standard procedure to polish the paint we want to match (adjacent or same panel) We put the digital spectrometer on the surface and take an image, the computer will then use a global data base to find the best possible match (taking into account using the code, and if wished a wider spectrum without the code) you then mix up and spray out. If not to standard you re- spectro the spray out and the original panel, and the computer will give us a totally acceptable match.

Damn - why would you want to do our job ? !!

In short......pick the colour you like, or get someone here to paint your parts, and mix up extra.

Haha, that is a comprehensive answer. My father was a panel beater in the 60s before he gave it away and it is far more complicated than people think, even more so now with the different finishes available.

Danny, don't forget that it is almost impossible to edge match metallic paints. If you need to repair damage on metallic you need to blend across a wider area to hide the effect of the patch up (see point 3 above).

Non metallic is a bit more forgiving.

Dave

Nuts even the veloster is made I two countries! But I guess from what you are saying it’s not as critical as I thought. Now how do I go about getting the colour code? Is it enough to give to my man in South Africa (in this case Hyundai Veloster yellow) the code from that link? Which for that yellow is ‘SYY’ ?

Only problem I have found with Hyundai paint codes is that they use the paint code over many years, but the suppliers of the paint may change over the years, so you can have many variations of the same colour on the same model car.

I only found this out by specializing in Getz, The worst was Noble White, it comes in 6 different colours of white, you might think white is white, until you go to spot it up and you notice one is a grey white and you have just spotted it up with a yellow or blue white, its very frustrating

The Yellows are no different, I think you just need to pick a colour, and if later on you need to touch one up, or paint another item, just get a panel shop to match the colour and spray it.

If you like the Veloster yellow, just send them the code, dont worry too much about matching it when here, most paint supply shops have the tech to do it with a sample.

Yeah that’s what I’m realising. Imma send them the veloster yellow code and they can paint it and I’ll know what it is and if I ever damage anything and it needs a touch up do as mrscags says and use that code as a guide but still do the spectro matching

Yellow!....

As a spray painter I feared the yellow, why usually they aren't very opaque and (so base coat needed) but yellow are one of those colours that change significantly when drying. Also if you a base coat ad clearing over the top, its the one colour that is most likely going to change in tone.

As Mrscags has mentioned, applying the paint, even from the same tin, using the same gun can stil come out a different colour, weather, spray technique, pressures blah blah blah all take affect, so don't be too hung up about it...

Also what type of pain are you looking to get, Acrylic, 2-pac, enamel, urethane etc, base coat that needs clear, or one that doesn't?

Cheers

Realised a car that will come from the same factory and is sold in both countries and of which has a yellow I like is the Ford Mustang! My only worry now is that if I look at the 2015 model it is described as H3 Triple Yellow Pearl. But if later it is H3/M7338 Triple Yellow. No mention of pearl. If it is a pearl, would that add a lot to the cost do you think? I hear it is much harder to match in repairs etc but in my case since there are about 6 different pieces it would be a matter of repainting that entire piece. I dont plan on damaging anything of course but might as well think ahead right now :)

Pearl pretty much goes over the top of a base coat, if the code is the same, then it would also be a pearl, from what I can remember as pearls were just coming in when I was getting out, you have to edge match a pearl, so yes whole panel.

You will find the average Joe can not see the difference in a car that has been spotted up, most people just look at the colour and see that its the same, A painter can spot the difference a mile away.

Ok so it sounds like I shouldn’t fret TOO much about whether it is pearl or not. I did worry when I was buying my car because of matching shenanigans. But here is where I should give some context. The parts are aircraft parts so for instance the wingtips are fibreglass but the are so far away from each other if you painted one red and one blue you wouldn’t notice :D