Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Netherworld Australia Kong Off 2 - November 10th and 11th

Decided to put in a solid effort this weekend, played 8 games so far, scored over 1.7 million points in those games and increased my PB to 498,600 - should have been a 500k game if not for a stupid death on 13-5.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]132624[/ATTACH]

Just under 4 months to go, how is everyone else progressing? Come on, let's start undermining each others confidence :)

IF (and it's a big if) I can make it up for this I'll be mainly drinking and socializing and probably won't embarrass myself by showing my lack of DK skills. Low 100K on a good day (203K arcade PB a long time ago) is not anywhere near good enough for a Kong Off

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decided to put in a solid effort this weekend, played 8 games so far, scored over 1.7 million points in those games and increased my PB to 498,600 - should have been a 500k game if not for a stupid death on 13-5.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]132624[/ATTACH]

Just under 4 months to go, how is everyone else progressing? Come on, let's start undermining each others confidence :)

That's great stuff John.. Killing my Pb now..

Sent from my HTC 2PZC100 using Tapatalk

IF (and it's a big if) I can make it up for this I'll be mainly drinking and socializing and probably won't embarrass myself by showing my lack of DK skills. Low 100K on a good day (203K arcade PB a long time ago) is not anywhere near good enough for a Kong Off

Make sure you're booked to hang around for the Monday too if you come, that is a high scores day, play whatever when the bar is shut. NW now has an original Wonderboy, though the High Scores on this are pretty healthy now if you want your name on the blackboard. Pelly is talking about possibly bringing his Stern Turtles board, can't remember if you like that game or not. Pretty much most guys on the Monday will be setting scores for submission to Twin Galaxies on original hardware.

I know you've got friends in Brisbane, but feel free to hit me up if you're in need of finding accomodation for the weekend too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoping to make it up for this to meet a few of you.

I suck at DK, but hanging to watch the pros and to play other games.

I have a mate that lives 100 meters away from Netherworld so hopefully accom sorted.

Ive been there once…. and managed to scoff 3 meals while there, so I hear ya!!

Swamp burger I think it was. Had 2 they were so good!

Im still on the hi score board for Moon Patrol I think?

Don't forget to try the food too @Sam J.

Im still on the hi score board for Moon Patrol I think?

AFAIK no one beat it. I did 114k the other day, but still haven't finished the champ course again.

MP is now away for some R&R - hopefully it's back by KO, still one of my favourite games.

AFAIK no one beat it. I did 114k the other day, but still haven't finished the champ course again.

MP is now away for some R&R - hopefully it's back by KO, still one of my favourite games.

I came close. I was on 110K on my last life and the joystick decided to not let me speed up with one of the enemies that comes from behind you right up my clacker. Then the monitor started acting up and I couldn't compensate for a distorted picture with multiple beers. Also got a 74,040 PB on Frogger and a 237,490 on 1942 that I didn't submit. Figured Nigel from Bartronica would destroy that score anyway. Don't think he played it in the end.

Still hoping to make it up for this

I came close. I was on 110K on my last life and the joystick decided to not let me speed up with one of the enemies that comes from behind you right up my clacker. Then the monitor started acting up and I couldn't compensate for a distorted picture with multiple beers. Also got a 74,040 PB on Frogger and a 237,490 on 1942 that I didn't submit. Figured Nigel from Bartronica would destroy that score anyway. Don't think he played it in the end.

Still hoping to make it up for this

Yes, it's had "stick" issues for some time. Think it's a sticky microswitch. Anyway, Dave has in back now I believe and will most likely give it a going over. And yeah, the monitor was glitching bad the other day, maybe a simple fix, no idea since I know nothing about fixing these things.

I think Barra is keen to have a shot at 1942 during Kong Off - maybe they'll have a legit board by then, no idea. I think he has gone within a stage or two of completing it. Don't think there are many scores on Twin Galaxies for the arcade version of 1942, so possibly not worth spending money on a board just for the guys who want to set scores.

Yes, it's had "stick" issues for some time. Think it's a sticky microswitch. Anyway, Dave has in back now I believe and will most likely give it a going over. And yeah, the monitor was glitching bad the other day, maybe a simple fix, no idea since I know nothing about fixing these things.

I think Barra is keen to have a shot at 1942 during Kong Off - maybe they'll have a legit board by then, no idea. I think he has gone within a stage or two of completing it. Don't think there are many scores on Twin Galaxies for the arcade version of 1942, so possibly not worth spending money on a board just for the guys who want to set scores.

The stick was fine until 110K then started acting up. As for the monitor sometimes tapping the side of the cabinet would clear it up but only briefly.

I already have an arcade 1942 score on TG (done at Funspot in November 2008) so it's not an issue for me. It wasn't planned. Former TG ref Kelly Flewin came up late in the game and asked if I wanted to submit my final score. I said I would only if I finished the game and did so it got submitted. Haven't done it in years. the last time was testing my 1942 board when it arrived about 9 or 10 years ago

The stick was fine until 110K then started acting up.

It's been doing it on and off for ages. Change direction, then go back to forwards and it generally fixed itself. Probably some knucklebrain spilling beer on the CP - but I guess the beer drinkers make it possible for us to play these amazing games, so can't really fault them :D Space Invaders was also suffering a beer induced issue too recently.

Only seemed to stick when I needed it not to!

Hopefully its back out for Kong Off.

I have a lowboy with Moon Patrol at home, but it was great to play the proper machine with proper explosion sound.

Speaking of all things 1942, Bartronica's cabinet is in for some repairs at the moment. I tried playing it last week and the fire button had really been hammered and wasn't responding well so figured it was time for some care. I also caught up with Nigel and he mentioned he'd played it up at Netherworld but didn't submit the score he made for it.

Interestingly, in its place, is now a Baby Pacman which I'd never seen before. Nige was already cracking out the scores for that and had the top ten by himself by the time I left. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey mates. Oz Kong OFF 2 is only 78 sleeps away so to get everyone excited I am giving you a sneak peak at our festival style event poster. More amazingness from @anghi and @shlocklobster. These will be for sale at the event for around $20.

If you are coming to the event and you're not on the poster or if you would like you tag line changed please let me know. We will make a final edit to the poster a week or two out from the event and will hopefully print it like an Australian Daybill Movie Poster. Woop!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]134664[/ATTACH]

NW-Poster-Kong-Off-II-Alt.thumb.jpg.8353d63d0ef730d3bf1fc340da47cd5a.jpg

With all due respect to Richie, the Aussie Kong Off last year seemed to me like it was a better run and a more fun competition that what I've seen of any of the US Kong Offs.

For starters, the Aussie Kong Off was open to all - everyone got to play. The US Kong Off's are pretty much restricted to top players having their own dedicated machines to grind on with maybe one or two cabs for "wildcard" players to try and qualify on. Geroge Riley got his first Killscreen at KO6 I believe and qualified in 8th from a wildcard machine. How many other players didn't attend KO6 because they would have been restricted to a wildcard machine?

It is doubtful the Aussie Kong Off will ever attract a field as strong as the US field, but if it does, then top 8 makes sense. Why? Because when you look at Kong Off 6 - it was top 8 to qualify, but positions 9 thru 14 were all scores between 733,700 and 841,400. So a 3rh v 14th place (1,013,500 Wolfe v 733,700 Barrow) game could have easily lasted over an hour. With 8 machines, and therefore two starts to get down from 16 to 8 you could potentially add nearly 3 hours to the final day which makes it almost too long - though still doable given a 10am start. Remember AKO2 will have 8 machines, so the round of 8 will last less time than it did last year!

Without putting down the talent in Australia and those travelling here internatially, there is a snowballs chance in hell that 14th place this year will be 733,700.

I would say at a rough guess from who I know is coming so far, that positions 9-10 will most likely be scores 250k and under. Unless there are some major upsets, I can't see that playing top 16 is going to add more than 1 to 1½ hours to the final day.

Add to that, it sounds like we have several international players coming, some very good million point players. Who knows if they'll post a big score straight away? They won't want to come all this way and not qualify - they will want to spend as much time at the game as is possible meaning it's harder for those on the bubble to potentially qualify and meaning less machines for the general public who just want to be a part of the event.

Just my opinion.

:)

Totally agree with John, as a new player I pose no competition to the top 8 player with 650k+ but I would love to still compete. I believe if there was a top 16 there would be a real close comp ahead of us between the top 9-16 players with closely matched skills keeping everyone on their toes, without too much extra time added to the finals.

I'll add my voice to this. I'm dragging my family up to QLD for the event, so I appreciate the fact I get a chance to compete when my score may be only somewhere in the 300-500 range depending on how I'm doing on the day.

It'd suck if it was the top 8 playing all day first day + luck to get a chance to put in a score. I say the fact it's so easily open to everyone makes it f'ing great!

Also, I appreciate that we have something like this in Australia. We're bloody lucky to have an establishment like this.

I'll add my voice to this. I'm dragging my family up to QLD for the event, so I appreciate the fact I get a chance to compete when my score may be only somewhere in the 300-500 range depending on how I'm doing on the day.

It'd suck if it was the top 8 playing all day first day + luck to get a chance to put in a score. I say the fact it's so easily open to everyone makes it f'ing great!

Also, I appreciate that we have something like this in Australia. We're bloody lucky to have an establishment like this.

It wouldn't be top 8, or supposed top 8 I guess, playing all day first day. I think last year there was a sort of unofficial rule that once you pass Lvl 4 you have to get off the machine at the end of that game. Not many players went for big, risky starts either, so most of the more capable players weren't restarting very often.

What is your PB? I don't think I've seen you in any of the MGL DK comps we ran over the years, if you think you can score in the 300-500k range you'd be a very strong chance of final 8.

Going to be a LOT of people in town a day or two early, feel free to catch up with what will be a largish group on Friday afternoon/night at Netherworld if you'll be in town early :)

I am new to the whole DK thing. Basically I have been just playing on and off at home. One day I dream of finding someone who wants to offload their machine and I will snap it up and play religiously.

My PB is 566k. I could do better, but I'm lazy!

I'm really excited to meet some great Arcade players!