Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

BSD Opto / Mist Issues

HighTower

Question

So I finished the playfield part of my resto of a BS Dracula on 1 April and it fired up with "no errors" and played well (April fools on me for thinking no issues were to come[emoji24])

After an hour or so of intermitent play the mistball multiball started acting weird and Id get multiball for no apparent reason. Games would cut short then next game I'd get 2 balls straight up.

After running a full test I got a unload error for magnet/mistball.

I started googling and checking here and pinside...Ive been through all the tests everyone suggests and it seems to be the long opto beam. Its active when it shouldnt be.

Ive tried the tv remote trick and mobile phone camera to check both sender and receiver optos are working and they appear to be but the long mistball opto beam seems to think there is a ball there when there isnt...and yes Ive removed the gates to avoid any interference. It was working fine one minute, gone haywire the next so Im stumped. Also cleaned all the optos out and they are sparkling clean.

Also at the same time Ive had some flipper switches go a bit weird now showing issues when testing but when I manually test these in the single switch test mode they all seem to work fine, Im guessing maybe related to the opto issue? The coincidence is rather odd.

Ive attached some pics of the other switch issues besides the long opto beam for mist ball.

Anyhelp would be much appreciated.cad0812c504754231e4ddc9be527bd08.jpg203b51a5acd869b3ffe8aa4b461c793d.jpg0aa6cea2c2fa362d78da1ddc89b053cd.jpg964ea7eddabad58fa052bd25d294c162.jpgc83f6ec52354542df894dc60f776a951.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

18 answers to this question

Triple check the long optos are lined up. I had to adjust the left side one slightly.

Buy the Homepin mist board... It is bulletproof.

Sent from my ALP-L29 using Tapatalk

opto's do lose sensitivity over time, the led "emitter" output can roll off. Recommend for the price to just replace these as a matter of course.

with the flipper buttons also acting up, perhaps look at the stability of the 12V rail as it supplies both the flipper optos and the 24opto pcb, although I thought the other opto's might have shown issues if this was the case.

I had similar issues with the long range optos as well. Replaced the 2 optos and put the homepin board in, issue resolved. For the cost it’s worth doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone. During the rebuild I put a brand new Homepin opto board in [emoji44] so I guess start by replacing the optos and see if that solves it.

Is there any particular way to double check they are aligned properly?

Will check the 12v line as well to make sure its solid.

Okay, so here's an update. Thanks for all the good suggestions so far.

I've checked the 12VDC line and it seems stable, so I replaced the optos.

Replacing the optos seemed to fix it, loaded and uploaded mist ball straight up. Ran a complete magnet test cycle and no problems. Although then I played a few games and it went back to it's old tricks again with unload error after a few games with mist ball.

I am guessing it might be the opto board, although I only just installed a new one about a month ago. I have just realised it's not the "new style" homepin opto board though with the test LED and layout, it seems to be a copy board of the original ones installed in the machines back in factory...maybe NOS?

Thoughts of what to try next? Do you think it could be the "new" opto board and should I splash out again and go for the latest homepin style opto board?

I’d think it’s worth the $ to try the new board although I’m surprised Mikes board that you have would fail. That said, the newer style board with the green led indicator for opto lineup is useful when troubleshooting those long range buggers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a long shot but it was proven with the Great Lakes Modular replacement board in a TZ I repaired and if it's an aftermarket board with LED indicators check that your opto TX and RX are corresponding to each other. I found with an original board as long as the IR RX got its light it didn't matter where or how, but replace it with a new aftermarket LED indicating one and if the TX & RX don't match up according to the switch matrix then all sorts of strange things happen. So without having to buy anything just yet check that all opto's are a matching pair according to the switch matrix.

Okay, so here's an update. Thanks for all the good suggestions so far.

I've checked the 12VDC line and it seems stable, so I replaced the optos.

Replacing the optos seemed to fix it, loaded and uploaded mist ball straight up. Ran a complete magnet test cycle and no problems. Although then I played a few games and it went back to it's old tricks again with unload error after a few games with mist ball.

I am guessing it might be the opto board, although I only just installed a new one about a month ago. I have just realised it's not the "new style" homepin opto board though with the test LED and layout, it seems to be a copy board of the original ones installed in the machines back in factory...maybe NOS?

Thoughts of what to try next? Do you think it could be the "new" opto board and should I splash out again and go for the latest homepin style opto board?

I’d think it’s worth the $ to try the new board although I’m surprised Mikes board that you have would fail. That said, the newer style board with the green led indicator for opto lineup is useful when troubleshooting those long range buggers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

*may not be a homepin board at all by the sounds of it... see post #7

- - - Updated - - -

My game was missing the board and motor... I got a homepin board for the mist setup... and one for the Getaway as well while I was there. In my experience they're freakin awesome!

Hi guys, just an update on this...John from JohnsArcade saw the post and immediately offered to swap it without me even having to ask.

Thanks John, quality seller...appreciate the great service! [emoji106]