Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

CNC Routers

BIG Trev

I thought I'd copy this here for those who are interested. https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?p=1135331

I'd like to build one big enough to do a widebody playfield.

There's also a write-up on a mega version in issue 5 of the new Diyode magazine https://diyodemag.com/who_is_diyode

It's a bit big for what I want as it takes a full 2400 x 1200mm sheet.

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I inquired about cutting area, and it turns out this router kit can be customised to an ideal size for playfield and cabinet application.

Here are images of my correspondence with makerstore. The standard large kit is about 100mm short of being big enough for cabinet sides, it does up to about 1250mm ...

1076225184_2017-11-2520_26_42.png.be09b6e143241da3ccf7b819fce74e88.png

1043849304_2017-11-2520_27_23.thumb.png.492733471c1a16d4e3f8f377a9d349ea.png

This kit with slightly longer Y axis rails would have enough cutting area for cabinet sides (and backboxes or widebody playfields), without needing to go the full 2400 x 1200 machine. :)

... the kit refered to in above messages...

http://www.makerstore.com.au/builds/...-router-large/

Edited by razorsedge

I have just purchased an unfinished "XYZ Carve" from a local seller via gumtree.

Seller has assembled but couldn't figure out the electronics. So worked out to be a very good deal for me.

Alas it only has a cutting bed of 800 x 800. But that's enough to get started.

The design listed above looks very much the same.

Are you planning on making a few or an ongoing production?

For small amounts just take them to carpentry factory with the files and material

I'm really enjoying the Homebrew pin building so I'll probably be doing more than one and it'll be handy to run off a prototype or two in mdf during the design process.

It would probably be handy for making plastics too.

I am hoping to have the ability to mass reproduce items as needed.

Accuracy will be the main issue for me.. I can't see the tolerance's on these machines being very tight, even at the smaller bed size i'm going to be running (1m x 1m footprint with cutting bed of 800 x 800).

Time will tell... Hopefully i can report back one day soon with good repeatable results.

I am hoping to be able to re-produce items as needed.

Accuracy will be the main issue for me.. I can't see the tolerance's on these machines being very tight, even at the smaller bed size i'm going to be running (1m x 1m footprint with cutting bed of 800 x 800).

Time will tell... Hopefully i can report back one day soon with good repeatable results.

If it supports microstepping so you should be able to get fairly good accuracy.

• 4 weeks later...

currently building a hybrid UK oozynest OX CNC (1000 x 1500) with a X-Carve controller

can confirm with the maikta trimmer router it will do a standard and widebody playfield width wise and will cut a 90's bally sized playfield (46") with 2.5 inches spare at each end length wise (1295mm outer edge of router bit to out edge = so roughly a 1280mm long part) - so won't cut a cabinet side - would need to be a 2 stage cut.

563143312_IMG_3722copy.thumb.jpg.7f9f3ba69aad379bb465f7763f63abc8.jpg

to add to the router this might be of interest to others but I have limited room so designed the router bench to flip up 90 when I am working on other things and router will bolt to the table top

366559589_IMG_3720copy.thumb.jpg.ca7094cd903c668afef71d9779ec685b.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I am putting a document together for those inexperienced and wanting to get into the CNC's so will post my starter here and the rest when I am up and running and finished the document.

In doing research (November 2017) of the various machine / company options, I found these 6 to be on my short list:

X-Carve by Inventables (US)

Shapeoko 3 by Shapeoko (US)

Stepcraft 2 - 840 by Stepcraft (German)

OX CNC - makerstore (Australia)

OX CNC - ooznest (United Kingdom)

XYZ-Carve - 3DTek.xyz (Australia)

All the above are kit builds and price is a variable based on the time of research and where it has to come from.

The X-carve is well known for the great support and awesome community of makers and is apparently a great machine and you can really vary your machine with many options and customise it as you go. You would have to upgrade the machine after purchasing so not a straight out of the box kit build as maximum size is 1000 x 1000mm size not process area.

The Shapeoko is also well known for great support and great community of makers and apparently a great machine with v3 gaining a lot of improvements / upgrades. You would have to upgrade the machine after purchasing so not a straight out of the box kit build as maximum size similar to the X-Carve and the software looked good as well.

The Stepcraft 2 is a great bit of machinery and is the step between hobby and commercial with a great design but is not customisable so would not do a PF in one go but allows for feed through work. The company was really good via email which is promising but the CNC programming looked a little over complicated especially for a person with zero experience.

The OX CNC (Aus Option) is a Openbuild design machine that has been around for a few years and has some solid features with a few design floors as well but a good entry level machine. The company is a little slow on answers at the potential purchase stage. The machine design is customisable and it comes in a kit that can do a PF.

The OX CNC (UK Option) is also a OpenBuild design machine as above but the companies owner has been proactive in identifying & strengthening up and improving the design in some areas and looks like an impressive upgrade of the Australian / American version. The owner was great in answering questions and helping out and also could ship parts separately to avoid customs charges.

The XYZ-Carve is a take on the X-carve adopting a lot of the design and apparently improving the design in places though not staying up to date with some of X-carve’s recent design improvements. The company never replied to some questions on a few occasions and though very affordable and probably the best value for money an option that I struck off due to no communication.

I chose to go a OX CNC from the UK due to the design upgrades but with a X-Carve Controller so to join the X-Carve community and they have good software that is developing well for the beginner and up - called Easel.

Therefore my machine will be a hybrid which I am calling the OX-Carve

Hope this helps

[ATTACH=CONFIG]121589[/ATTACH]

Don't waste your time with toys - $5K gets you the real deal.

Takes a full size sheet and will cut it (with complex patterns) in about 30 minutes (this will obviously vary greatly depending on the complexity of the cuts).

Extra $1K buys the vacuum bed.

tag_pf.thumb.jpg.26f137fabd2f7e2b596132b36bc677dc.jpg

Takes a full size sheet and will cut it (with complex patterns) in about 30 minutes (this will obviously vary greatly depending on the complexity of the cuts).

Hey mike,

Have you heard of Elephant CNC . I have had correspondants with tgem regarding importint one to Australia but not being able to physically see one i am not sure about it.

Hey mike,

Have you heard of Elephant CNC . I have had correspondants with tgem regarding importint one to Australia but not being able to physically see one i am not sure about it.

They are all basically built from the same component parts such as stepper drivers etc. The problems come with the software. Chinese software is cheap and it works these machines very well. Problem is - it's in Chinese :lol

• 2 weeks later...
They are all basically built from the same component parts such as stepper drivers etc. The problems come with the software. Chinese software is cheap and it works these machines very well. Problem is - it's in Chinese :lol

Thats what google translate is for bro lol

It's an interesting idea but time consuming. I think I'd prefer a flat bed cnc, it would take up just a little more room but you can walk away and do something else while it's working. Sure you've got to check it now and then but you don't have to be there all the time.

Cheers Trev

• 3 weeks later...

what brand is this and how can i buy it? @Ryza you got any room under the house to store this? you can use it too of course :D