Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 35 - RULES - NOMINATIONS are CLOSED

Hi Gamers,

Welcome to MGLXXXV, the 1st Quarter of the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP OF ESPORTS for 2018. All gamers world wide are welcome to game, and you can join in at any time you want.

Please watch the Trailer below for important details ...

Competition:

The gamer with the highest points in this tournament will be the MGLXXXV champion. There will be 8 games played over 8 weeks, released one week at a time, competing world wide on the most challenging and toughest video games of all time. Games are only open for 17 days each, so gamers must play their best in that time and post their scores before the game is closed. At the end of each MGL, points will be accumulated for each gamer toward the World Championship of eSports Scoreboard. The highest score after the four MGLs are completed will be the undisputed World Champion of eSports for 2018.

Prizes:

Every gamer that plays all of the games has the chance to win the mystery prize. So if there are 8 games and you play and submit for all 8, then if you are drawn from the pool of qualifiers, then you will win all of the prizes. Whether you finish in the top half or the lower half in the tournament, you still have a chance to win. Prizes will be cash and/or arcade memorabilia. In MGLXXXV, the mystery prize will be 4 x mystery prizes.

Point system:

The incremental point system will be used for each game. 1st place will earn 100 points, 2nd place 99 points, 3rd place 98 points and so on. All gamers will earn competition points for their scores. If there is a tie on the overall scoreboard, then a head to head game win count will be used to determine the final placings. For example, if two players tie for 18th place in the world, then whoever has scored higher per game on a head to head basis will earn 18th place and the other gamer will earn 19th place. If there is a tie also on head to head game count, the gamer who has the highest accumulated game score points will be the winner.

Games:

Games are nominated by the competitors and sent by PM to the Gamemaster. Games must be selected from 1976 to 1990 and no trackball or steering wheel games are to be nominated. The number of games that can be nominated by each competitor in MGLXXXV is in the Trailer. The games to be played in the competition will be randomly drawn from the pool of nominations. Only unique games will be in the pool, as duplications of nominations will not be placed in the pool. The order of game play will be determined by the Gamemaster and each game will be released weekly for competition.

If you would like to nominate games and have a say in what is played, please send them by private message (PM) to OOO by midnight Sydney time Thursday 12-Apr-18. The number of games you can nominate are in the Trailer. The first two games will commence on Friday 13-Apr-18.

The following games are excluded from MGLXXXV and cannot be nominated: Carnival, Crush Roller, Dig Dug, Ghosts n Goblins, Lady Bug, Lunar Rescue, Pac-mania, Sinistar, Spiders and Super Bagman.

Settings:

The game settings will be posted in each game thread and gamers must ensure they compete on these settings only. No continues are allowed when submitting a score and must be played from the beginning of the game. No pausing allowed. No auto fire allowed. No cheats allowed.

The WolfMAME version 0.106 is highly recommended, however any later version can be used. Only the version 0.106 ROM set will be posted for each game and the equivalent for other MAME versions can be used.

Games can be played at the arcade. You must ensure the arcade operator has the game at the MGL game settings for the submission to be valid.

Submissions:

Gamers are to post a screenshot/photo showing their score with initials in the game thread. Games are only open for 17 days and any score submissions made after the game is closed by the Gamemaster will not be accepted. Scores at aussiearcade.com will be combined with scores from twingalaxies.com to form the world championship scoreboard.

Gamers:

Professional and casual gamers can play all or just some of the games. Gamers do not need to nominate games to play, they can play any game during the tournament. Streaming games and posting/sharing tips are encouraged, as is friendly banter in the gaming community. Striving for PBs, learning and playing the best you can are all highly encouraged. As all members at AA are registered, there is no additional registration process for the championships.

Good gaming and good luck to all competitors.

OOO

Edited by OOO

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no particular order, my noms are:

1. Mr. Do!

2. Mr. Do!

3. Mr. Do!

4. Mr. Do!

5. Mr. Do!

6. Mr. Do!

7. Mr. Do!

Unrelated: If time permits, check out https://www.twitch.tv/meowwolf for some excellent coverage of the Galaga tournament. Andrew Barrow and Philip Day (among others) will be competing in the finals today in this well run tournament.

Can we just set a new rule that if Galaga gets picked....Barra just gets 100 points automatically!?...:lol

Very interesting comment. Andrew Barrow played great in Santa Fe, NM over the weekend to win that tournament. But in MGLXXVIII, SMK scored higher than Barra for the 100 points.

LZNMVHc.png

And you never know, there are many very good players out there that can learn the game and play great. Maybe you too ... :)

- - - Updated - - -

Some really excellent games have been nominated so far. Keep them coming ...

rNx89zt.gif

Ashamed to admit that I couldn’t break the score needed to get the free pin at Netherworld on Galaga. I did get the Donkey Kong one though!

From memory the Galaga pin was released not long before the first Aussie Kong Off. On the Monday after the Kong Off, a couple of us were recording scores for submission to Twin Galaxies, and this included Barra playing Galaga. So obviously the machine had to be set to difficulty D. Now I'm not positive, but I believe the machine was never set back to the easiest difficult - in other words, obtaining the pin for Galaga is actually pretty tough on this difficulty setting. Most games I can just creep over the 100k line on difficulty D, but on easy - well it's generally a first or second life thing.

That guy playing Mappy in the intro video looks really cool!

[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

EftBgpi.png

ZKqfavK.png

Getting ready for the Mappy Score Wars in 2019.

sZ6p58n.png

From memory the Galaga pin was released not long before the first Aussie Kong Off. On the Monday after the Kong Off, a couple of us were recording scores for submission to Twin Galaxies, and this included Barra playing Galaga. So obviously the machine had to be set to difficulty D. Now I'm not positive, but I believe the machine was never set back to the easiest difficult - in other words, obtaining the pin for Galaga is actually pretty tough on this difficulty setting. Most games I can just creep over the 100k line on difficulty D, but on easy - well it's generally a first or second life thing.

Ok I’ll take that as my excuse but honestly I feel I just didn’t play at my best.

You can bet if I’m ever back in that area of ANZ- I will be back to Netherworld!

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

• Administrators

Its definitely not back on the normal setting. I'm usually good for around 400k and I struggled to get that pin. The game does not play the same as in normal mode for sure. I only played it again a couple of weeks ago and no change.

Brad

I have heard the Galaga pin is worth more than the Donkey Kong pin. Galaga is certainly more popular at AA than DK, the numbers prove it.

Galaga 70 vs Donkey Kong paltry 16. Even Gyruss is more popular at 33 and Ghosts n Goblins at 38.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/poll.php?pollid=250&do=showresults

And I didn't make this up!

:064:

Did more people watch the Galaga Pro Final (over 3,000 views live) than any Kong off?

I can’t get the trailer to load it’s just a blank section of the post (same in PM). Can anyone give me a direct link please? Thanks.

Here you go...

youtu.be/E8P_liNKHro

I can't watch the video either when on an Apple device. It works on PC.

I've started practicing already, I'm sure my NOMs will get in because they are by far the best games compared to the rubbish you guys have no doubt nommed :lol

Also AFAIK 5 of my 7 have never been played in the MGL, a couple are clones of classics but with enough difference to make them worthwhile and a couple are very different to the games we normally play but I guess most will enjoy them.

MGL 35 - now featuring ALL Rat's NOMs :023:

Bring it on

This looks pretty cool guys!! Hope you don't mind a newbie joining in and reliving some old classics!

Not sure how this is run so i'll sit back on the first one, play, but suss out the format.

Looking forward to mashing buttons with you all!