Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

MGL 35 - RULES - NOMINATIONS are CLOSED

How about nominating games that really kill the player. I nominate-

1/ Defender

2/ Robotron

3/ Space invaders

4/ Asteroids

5/ Berzerk

6/ Missile Command (the end)

Yeah I'm in, except for missile command. Good luck to anyone playing Defender without a CP to original dimensions dialled to perfection, Asteroids would be playable but poorly on anything but an original CP, that is part of the reason I chose those games to purchase original dedicated cabs for years ago, same for Space Duel.

Robotron is playable on my Candy Cab, but the experts say you need proper Wico joysticks or equivalent to play well, as I don't play well I agree.

Berzerk is a classic but I don't play it often, although I do use the voice files for my mame cabs, "coin detected in pocket" for power up and "chicken fight like a robot" for shutdown. One of my new mame PCs shuts down too quickly though and doesn't play the file :(

Space Invaders - Oh yeah :) bring it on, my favourite version is Space War Sanuritsu

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Mame cab CP can play all of them.

Robotron I have remapped for daul joysticks.

Defender remapped so the forward & reverse are on the joystick.

Missile Command is playable via joystick (No Track ball).

Berzerk, SI & Asteroids play normally via the CP.

It's not cheating is it?

Yeah I'm in, except for missile command. Good luck to anyone playing Defender without a CP to original dimensions dialled to perfection, Asteroids would be playable but poorly on anything but an original CP, that is part of the reason I chose those games to purchase original dedicated cabs for years ago, same for Space Duel.

Robotron is playable on my Candy Cab, but the experts say you need proper Wico joysticks or equivalent to play well, as I don't play well I agree.

Berzerk is a classic but I don't play it often, although I do use the voice files for my mame cabs, "coin detected in pocket" for power up and "chicken fight like a robot" for shutdown. One of my new mame PCs shuts down too quickly though and doesn't play the file :(

Space Invaders - Oh yeah :) bring it on, my favourite version is Space War Sanuritsu

You can play Defender "ok" with flip direction mapped to joystick left/right (Takes a bit of getting used to).

And Robotron plays "ok" with both two player cab's joysticks mapped to one player.

Wico joysticks are just leaf switch sticks - Not sure what the fuss is about them - Prefer micro myself.

Never had any problems playing asteroids with a stick - My Megard cocktail had two way (Leaf) sticks.

(Interestingly Megard is not in the Mame list's and very little info can be found on it!)

Yeah you can play those games for a fun blast without the proper controls and that is fine if that is your goal. But if you want to play to your best potential and dedicate serious time to doing so them having the best controls and tweaking them to optimal is VERY important. None of the top Robo players play with micros and I can't imagine anyone getting a million on Defender (or Asteroids) with left right mapped to a 4 way joystick. But as I said if your goal is just to have a fun blast for nostalgia sake then any controls are fine, I don't take all my gaming seriously either.

Perhaps Willow will make an appearance this MGL? <----:laugh:

I feel the MGL in the air...

I have a crazy feeling we played this a long long time ago. Can't remember the game, it's based on the movie isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

Can't wait for this new MGL season to kick off. Got my 2 custom made controllers from @Mameshane. One with a Pac Pro joystick, the other with a Sanwa. Looking forward to seeing how I go with these, though it's possible I'll still use keyboard for certain games. I'm getting back into submitting on TG, so I'll do my best to submit for all games this year - very lazy in the past.

Hi Everyone,

So far it has been a stellar turnout of gamers with game nominations.

Who are they? ... well here goes ...

fok999, Tanna94, Batfink, JustAnotherRat, RichyS, BandontheRun, ozfalcon, Pessimeister, gadzooks, creech, bigredbird, SMK, RMacauley, John73, magrinder, wirre.the.man, spectre, Fordy, timmell, monojoker, Barra, Flash IV, Rat, Fire_Power and SectionZ.

The games are ginormous. Get your nominations in tonight if you have not already done so.

1 more sleep to go ... :026:

NlmXGGY.png

Edited by OOO

I have a crazy feeling we played this a long long time ago. Can't remember the game, it's based on the movie isn't it?

MGL 21, Game 1 May 2014

Back when we used % scoring. I finished the game and got 100%. Second place got around 4% from memory. Rat posted this when I was 99% ahead of everyone else:

"Rob will now quite possibly have a lead so big from just the first game that there will be no way to reel it back in as other games are unlikely to have such huge gaps in the scoring. No-one is likely to beat Rob or any other player for that matter by 90% on other games in the comp, so it's basically over already."

As it turned out I got 13% on game 2 (Puzzle Bobble 2) and finished the MGL in 4th. Barra ended up winning.

If Willow comes up again I didn't nominate it. I said at the time it's probably more hated than Crush Roller around here

MGL 21, Game 1 May 2014

Back when we used % scoring. I finished the game and got 100%. Second place got around 4% from memory. Rat posted this when I was 99% ahead of everyone else:

"Rob will now quite possibly have a lead so big from just the first game that there will be no way to reel it back in as other games are unlikely to have such huge gaps in the scoring. No-one is likely to beat Rob or any other player for that matter by 90% on other games in the comp, so it's basically over already."

As it turned out I got 13% on game 2 (Puzzle Bobble 2) and finished the MGL in 4th. Barra ended up winning.

If Willow comes up again I didn't nominate it. I said at the time it's probably more hated than Crush Roller around here

Thank you - I knew if I was lazy enough someone would look it up for me :D

kane and Jed have just submitted their interesting game nominations ... :041:

Some people think I am crazy ... but you have to take care of what is important in your life ... and others!

:)

Swapped the joystick for a pool cue tonight.

Getting relaxed and in the zone ready for MGL.

[ATTACH]127472[/ATTACH]

Looks like a close game, too.. !

had to include some noms for groan value, but no 10 yard from me BRB ;)

Yes. It was based on the movie and yes, as Rob noted already, it's not a game you'll find on many peoples favorites list.

Got my 2 custom made controllers from @Mameshane. One with a Pac Pro joystick, the other with a Sanwa.

Nice. These two controllers mixed with a computer keyboard gives you all the tools to perform at your best, regardless of games chosen. Good controllers are an investment but are well worth it and make gaming in general far more entertaining.

@OOO Hope you got my fantastic selection of games...

Sent from my iPad using Aussie Arcade

Of course I got your fantastic suggestions. Excellent selection. I didn't know they made a sequel to Crush Roller ... :redface

So I was looking through past tournaments to see what my last score was. I found that we last played WBOY on MGL 30, but I can't see the scoreboard images. Also, many images are replaced with the following:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]127724[/ATTACH]

What is this and why do I only see this at Aussie Arcade? Is this a site thing? An OOO thing? Some other thing?

Now, I scrolled though old messages to locate my score, so no question remains there, but it would be nice to see some of these old scoreboards. Not a huge deal mind you as the info is still there in the threads, but rather a question is all.

So I was looking through past tournaments to see what my last score was. I found that we last played WBOY on MGL 30, but I can't see the scoreboard images. Also, many images are replaced with the following:

What is this and why do I only see this at Aussie Arcade? Is this a site thing? An OOO thing? Some other thing?

Now, I scrolled though old messages to locate my score, so no question remains there, but it would be nice to see some of these old scoreboards. Not a huge deal mind you as the info is still there in the threads, but rather a question is all.

it's a photobucket thing, not an AA thing. Looks like photobucket force a quota on linking pics you store on their servers linked to 3rd party sites for their free accounts.

Here's a good alternative: post image https://postimages.org you don't need an account, easy interface, and no captcha BS.

As Jed said, it's a photobucket thing (started charging for hosting - no access to old pics without payment).

If you look through all the old threads you will see someone ( @OOO I assume) has re-uploaded the final totals for each game in the scoreboard thread of each MGL.

All the scores are still there, just in one final post per MGL.

Thanks to whoever did that.

Here are the MGL XXX Wonderboy results that you desired Max. You have some work to do.

MGLXXX.JPG.e8f05e576b4795d4036e37096b43c62b.JPG

It's some "other thing". Yes, Facebook has just announced they will charge everyone $500 per year for their service, after it was free.

No they haven't, but those stupid deceptive pricks at JunkBucket did. So all the images posted back then are all part of an extortion racket.

- - - Updated - - -

If you look through all the old threads you will see someone ( @OOO I assume) has re-uploaded the final totals for each game in the scoreboard thread of each MGL.

You assumed correctly. After the extortion attempt, hundreds of postings in the MGL, and not just my images, fell prey to the racket.

Realising this had just happened, I signed up with imgur and re-posted all the final tables that were affected. The final tables show all the scores for all games.

Thanks I will give that one a try, I have been using imgur but the android app is totally broken.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Aussie Arcade mobile app

I don't think there's an app for postimage. My cab isn't connected to the net so i still do the old fashioned phone, email to computer to use postimage.

@Rat try an app called direct upload. I've been testing it this morning and it works great for posting image links to forums direct from your phone. Includes resize before upload and you don't need to create an account.

Edited by Jed