Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Hot Air Rework Station Recommendations

Kaizen

Question

I'm planning to purchase a Hot Air Rework Station.

Jaycar has one for $149 which is within my budget/justifiable for the amount of use it will get.

https://www.jaycar.com.au/hot-air-rework-station-300w/p/TS1645

gVc0jul.jpg

Features:

• 100-500°C Temperature Range

• Automatic Sleep Function

• LED Display

• Variable Air Flow

• Suitable for SOIC, CHIP, QFP, PLCC, BGA & more

Specifications:

Temperature Range: 100-500°C

Temperature Selection: Push button / digital display

Air Flow Control: Rotary Dial

Weight: 1 kg

Dimensions: 160(L) x 113(W) x 123(D)mm

I won't be buying one for about a week so I'd like some input from anyone who's purchased one of these from Jaycar or any other recommendations.

11 answers to this question

I have an aoyue

Looks like Ludatronics might not import them anymore (that is where I got most of my stuff).

Here is a link to Gibos thread.

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/39801-Aoyue-Desoldering-Station?highlight=work+station

He ended up getting a Hakko 808

Also check out

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php/45690-Cheap-Aoyue-Desoldering-Stations?highlight=work+station

Red

I don't have this, but I bought a cheap hot air station for about $40 which does everything it's meant to. I have JBC soldering gear because what you use for soldering and desoldering can make a difference, but i felt blowing out hot air at x temperature didn't require much accuracy, hence why I just went cheap on that. It has fan control and temperature control, and that's pretty much all I needed. With that said, the amount of smd work I do is minimal.

There are many SMD components on later Jamma boards, in the past I've been reuctant to work on them for this reason.

Namco Classics have three SMD caps that require replacing to fix colour smear and I currently have a Namco Starblade with a 64 pin PQFP package that needs replacing which is not possible to do without one. I don't do Pinball repairs.

For $150 I can justfy the amount of use it'll get.

Hot Air Rework Station Recommendations

I have one of the really cheap Chinese eBay hot air rework stations and it does the job fine, I think it was $50-60

I considered a more expensive one but after I saw an eevblog video about hot air stations - they really are just a fan and a heater so I couldn't justify spending any more

So far I've removed several CPS1 A board customs, replaced a LS139 SMD IC on a Neo Geo cart, removed and reinstalled a chip on a CPS3 board along with a few other bits and pieces, it works well.

Also worth mentioning I replaced the video caps on 2 Namco Classics boards and didn't use the hot air station - the caps are in an awful spot and you'll be risking heat damage to a lot of other components in the area, but YMMV

You're welcome to borrow mine if you like

I have one of the really cheap Chinese eBay hot air rework stations and it does the job fine, I think it was $50-60

I considered a more expensive one but after I saw an eevblog video about hot air stations - they really are just a fan and a heater so I couldn't justify spending any more

So far I've removed several CPS1 A board customs, replaced a LS139 SMD IC on a Neo Geo cart, removed and reinstalled a chip on a CPS3 board along with a few other bits and pieces, it works well.

Also worth mentioning I replaced the video caps on 2 Namco Classics boards and didn't use the hot air station - the caps are in an awful spot and you'll be risking heat damage to a lot of other components in the area, but YMMV

You're welcome to borrow mine if you like

I had a look on ebay and the 'cheapies' range from $40-60 which I tend to agree will do the job and are good value for money but I really don't want to wait 5-6 weeks for delivery.

The Namco Classics board I repaired was also done using a soldering iron and I just used through hole caps which did the job.

ah, I've got one of those too.

I have the aoyue 968 has worked great the few times I've used it.

( I can't remember how much it was, but was inexpensive enough to get past the minister of finance)

Attached a photo.

Red

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 10.40.10 am.jpg

Edited by Redback
added photo

https://m.ebay.com.au/itm/2-in-1-Soldering-Iron-Solder-Rework-Station-Hot-Air-Gun-Digital-SMD-Desoldering/263606814816?epid=1780524562&hash=item3d6030c860:g:hjkAAOSwYUBa0ZgP

I got one of the above. I can't remember the exact seller but if you search eBay you may find it cheaper, plus there's a few eBay coupons you can use to drop the price by 10%. Aussie stock, mine arrived in 3 days.

Works extremely well, including the soldering iron and all the extra bits and pieces are handy.

Yeah I picked one up back in April and swapped out one chip and it worked fine.

I practiced on a few dead PC motherboards first to get a feel for it and a bit of experience.

If your doing larger four sided chip I'd suggest getting the extra attachments.

It's definitely entry level though.