Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Playfield Material For A HomeBrew.

Seeing as playfield wood has deteriorated in quality over the last decade and if you could get it, it would be ridiculously priced, I'm looking for a suitable alternative for my HomeBrew.

Yes, I know it is only a HomeBrew but that doesn't take away the fact I want something that is hard surfaced, easy to work with, doesn't de-laminate, warp, or crack and I can paint without the paint falling off.

Any ideas what would possibly be a suitable product and I don't want to go anywhere near MDF?.

I'm steering towards this myself...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/carter-holt-harvey-1200-x-595mm-17mm-f14-formrite-formply_p0390167

Seeing as playfield wood has deteriorated in quality over the last decade and if you could get it, it would be ridiculously priced, I'm looking for a suitable alternative for my HomeBrew.

Yes, I know it is only a HomeBrew but that doesn't take away the fact I want something that is hard surfaced, easy to work with, doesn't de-laminate, warp, or crack and I can paint without the paint falling off.

Any ideas what would possibly be a suitable product and I don't want to go anywhere near MDF?.

I'm steering towards this myself...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/carter-holt-harvey-1200-x-595mm-17mm-f14-formrite-formply_p0390167

wouldn't you go for something like this

http://www.misterplywood.com.au/Products/Plywood/MarinePlywood.aspx

Are you guys routing holes by hand or some other method?

I'd seen some of the 3D routing stuff seems quite interesting and wondered how well it would translate to making playfields ie carbide3d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used formply for the body of the battle pinny. Hard a nails an super smooth , so good for applying the side art decals, no good if you want to paint it though.

No, I actually want to make the cabinet lighter than a normal pin.

Something like what Taito made there video cabs out of because this machine will be heavy enough playfield wise and the lighter I can get the cab within reason, the better.

I will have to remember what ply I used for the playfields, I think it is a white birch ply ?

Yer I think 17mm might have been a bit overkill for a formply playfield it's just that it looks so flat and hard.

Would be good if you could recall exactly what ply and type you used.

I'd seen some of the 3D routing stuff seems quite interesting and wondered how well it would translate to making playfields ie carbide3d

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a future project. I'd love to build a cnc router for playfields.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

By hand or at least hand tools for me. I see no reason to go the expense or the needed software ability to make what I want plus I often have issues getting machines and computers to do exactly what is in my head into practice.

For me it is simpler and quicker just to let my hands do what they do.

They haven't let me down in the past and I'm to old and cracky for them to try pissing me off now. :lol

A bit of trial and error using MDF, then the birch Ply for the final product:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]120040[/ATTACH]

:o

What a great looking playfield design ! So it was birch we used......The design for that playfield was done on AutoCad Lite, also we had to recess into the playfield in sections to mount switches and pop bumpers as the ply we get in Aus is thicker than a normal playfield by 3mm.

Looking at one of these...

http://www.makerstore.com.au/builds/openbuilds-ox-cnc-router-large/

Can specify rail lengths long enough to allow one shot cutting of cabinet sides as well...

Since I am about to start a job that revolves around CNC manufacturing, I'm hoping to get this and one or two other projects into full swing in the new year :)

Looking at one of these...

http://www.makerstore.com.au/builds/openbuilds-ox-cnc-router-large/

Can specify rail lengths long enough to allow one shot cutting of cabinet sides as well...

Since I am about to start a job that revolves around CNC manufacturing, I'm hoping to get this and one or two other projects into full swing in the new year :)

Looks nice. My problem is I will probably only make one HomeBrew but chop and change parts of it and that would be a machine I could see laying around I wouldn't use much for anything else.

Valid point. In my situation I have several machines that require new cabs one day. Also have a homebrew pinball theme idea that I rekon will be pretty cool, and popular. Making a cad file to begin with to cut a whitewood means changes can be updated to cad, and the changes sometimes made by the machine. At the end you have a cad file to use in creating one or two more playfields quite easily... you know, for when your pinhead mate want one too!

I think these bots have a Zaxis around 3inches, which can be extended a bit, this would mean wood could be used to make vacuum forming moulds for your ramps as well....

I can picture quite a few other handy applications that warrant me going down the path of setting up the piece of kit ;)

- - - Updated - - -

*crosses over to some custom automotive applications it might be used for too, cars being my other main interest. :)

Valid point. In my situation I have several machines that require new cabs one day. Also have a homebrew pinball theme idea that I rekon will be pretty cool, and popular. Making a cad file to begin with to cut a whitewood means changes can be updated to cad, and the changes sometimes made by the machine. At the end you have a cad file to use in creating one or two more playfields quite easily... you know, for when your pinhead mate want one too!

I think these bots have a Zaxis around 3inches, which can be extended a bit, this would mean wood could be used to make vacuum forming moulds for your ramps as well....

I can picture quite a few other handy applications that warrant me going down the path of setting up the piece of kit ;)

- - - Updated - - -

*crosses over to some custom automotive applications it might be used for too, cars being my other main interest. :)

I've created a post on CNC routers in the prototyping section and copied a link to your link and another link.[emoji16]

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk