Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Wanted Gottlieb system 1 sound board

Hi,

I have just bought a project Buck Rogers with dead sound board (amongst other things).

Is there anyone that has one spare.

I suspect there are numerous people that have upgraded to the pascal board, so I might get lucky.

I am going to have a poke around with the scope tomorrow but also finding that there is very little repair info on this board.

Would also like to redo the cab artwork if anyone has some leads or suggestions.

Ray

Had a play with this, it looks like all the inputs are there to trigger the sounds but no outputs from the main chip. Very little (none) repair guides for this board found.

Some weird stuff going on and I realise I do need to repin some of the connectors.

There is no sound, kick out hole stays energised, lots of dead lamps and intermittent game start along with first two digits missing on displays 2 and 4.

I have replaced a couple of the transistors for the sound outputs, replaced CPU board Z7 (a 7417) for locked on kick out coil. Replaced with a 7407 as I had one handy.

A1J6 was hard soldered this is the switch strobe connector, I have re made this with a jamma plug I had but I need to find the right connector to do it properly, game now starts.

This is the first Gottlieb I have looked at and now realise why. Compared to Bally/ Williams there is absolutely no support information, to buy obscure parts you have to send cash or bank cheque to the guy that has the licence,I don't understand why is it so difficult. Nobody does any cabinet artwork either. I have a feeling this will be my first and last Gottlieb

hi Ray , it's very common for that 40 pin chip on the sound board to die and they are impossible to find and the board is generally a throw away.

There was a place once in France / Europe years ago that sold a small rider board to replace that chip but it wasn't cheap , but i think you might be able to buy complete replacements boards now...Pascal might sell one.

Some of those connector plugs , depending on the length can also be impossible to find.

Not much about Gottliebs is easy , even the manuals are hard to find on the net.

Sorry Tony, but I agree with @emken. You can't deal with this guy in the 21 century, he's next to impossible to make a transaction with. I've gone without parts because he won't use any modern payment methods. The guy is a dinosaur trapped in the modern world.

I totally agree with you that Steve's a stubborn dinosaur. However, he has parts that nobody else does and his willingness to remake parts that would otherwise be totally unavailable is worth him being a pain to deal with. I have sent cash in the mail without issue before. Once you order from him once, he takes you at your word and sends successive orders prior to receiving payment.

Sorry Tony, but I agree with @emken. You can't deal with this guy in the 21 century, he's next to impossible to make a transaction with. I've gone without parts because he won't use any modern payment methods. The guy is a dinosaur trapped in the modern world.

we are talking about 2 totally different things. post 9 quotes Steve Young is slowly killing old Gottliebs

seriously that is the most ridiculous post i have seen on any pinball forum for years.

steve young and pinball resource have saved thousands of gottlieb pinballs from all over the globe.

..now you are talking about payment methods. as pointed out he now takes transferwise

have been ordering off steve for around 30 years and would send out an order at least every 4 to 6 weeks in that time, have never had an issue with his method.

that reminds me, time to send off another order today ;)

We're far better of having PBR - great range of parts at good prices. Most people moaning about him put more effort into complaining about payment methods than it takes to sort it out. For me it means i do a larger order a few times a year and anticipate what I might need for games coming up.

We're far better of having PBR - great range of parts at good prices. Most people moaning about him put more effort into complaining about payment methods than it takes to sort it out. For me it means i do a larger order a few times a year and anticipate what I might need for games coming up.

I'm the same. Strip a machine, make a list, check it twice, send it off and then it's Christmas a week later, often with a discount. They do also check things by hand when you do send in a list and care enough to make suggestions. eg. last time "hey, the white on those two guides won't quite match, get two of this one and cut one side off to make the single". Occasionally I miss something (like the #986 grommets coming back in stock in 2015 - I could use 15 or so now) because their website is a bit... quaint?... but I just tack it in to my next order.

While I understand completely why they do it, my only annoyance with them is their vigorous protection of the schematics and manuals etc. as it does make it a little harder to debug issues, especially when you're helping other people that haven't bought schematics.

However, they do at least sell them, and reasonably priced, so that's far better than some rights holders who just stomp on people using their IP but don't provide access to it. I also thinks it's super cool when you get an original manual that's all yellowed and has that smell.

Edited by ajfclark

• 3 weeks later...