Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Devastated - Vectrex

Hi All.

Just received my Vector Patrol cart.

Got my Vectrex out before heading away for the easter long week-end.

Turned on, no video. Audio works fine.

Placed the Vector patrol cartridge and from the Audi seems to be work, just no display.

I'm very average when it comes to electronics (that's putting it nicely)

Any suggestions on what I can do!!!.

I'm soooo Devastated/!

- - - Updated - - -

No longer devastated.

Left it running for about 10 mins, came back and we have a display!

• 7 months later...

Sure!

I have two Vectrex systems that I have purchased, and both were faulty prior to adding them to my collection. The first system had the same issues as detailed by the OP (sound, but no video). Upon investigation, it was determined that one of the 9VAC rails (if my memory serves me correctly) was missing on the main board, provided from the 240VAC input transformer. Further investigation showed the rails were correctly outputting from the mains transformer, but only one of the rails was successfully being switched to the main board by the power switch on the front of the machine. Wanting to keep the Vectrex original, I opened the switch (carefully) and discover dirt/grit and carbon build up on the contacts. With a bit cleaning and lubrication, the Vectrex bounced back to life and is now fully operational.

Repairing the switch is not for the faint hearted; I almost gave up as I spent two hours after cleaning trying to correctly fit the the switch back together and getting the right 'click'. My second unit was a little easier to discover the fault - blown internal fuse in the mains input transformer (not the little, serviceable fuse under its own warning cover). I have sourced an aftermarket toroidal transformer from Altronics, but have broken my arm and have been unable to complete the repair. 2 weeks to go in the cast; perhaps I'll take some pictures of the repair up upload to the forum.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.

Mine had a dead transformer. I pulled it apart but couldn't find any internal fuses so I got a replacement from Jaycar. I had to trim down the mounting tabs but it fitted and works fine.

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Great! What was the current rating of the transformer you replaced it with? And is it 9VAC on the rails (I can't remember from my last repair)?

Great! What was the current rating of the transformer you replaced it with? And is it 9VAC on the rails (I can't remember from my last repair)?
Details are here.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eaussiearcade%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D93577&share_tid=93577&share_fid=18421&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Mine takes about 10 to 15 seconds to spring to life after powering it on.

So I turn it on, absolutely nothing at all happens, then after 15 seconds or so it powers on and works great.

Is this normal? Any ideas of where I should be looking for a possible fault?

Mine takes about 10 to 15 seconds to spring to life after powering it on.

So I turn it on, absolutely nothing at all happens, then after 15 seconds or so it powers on and works great.

Is this normal? Any ideas of where I should be looking for a possible fault?

This could be the same switch issue or a capacitor problem. When they get old, they not regulate well. You could try replacing the capacitors on the main input side. Some validation may be to measure the voltage rails when you first turn the system on and compare them against those in the schematic. If they are low and drift towards the nominal values over the 15 or so seconds, it's probably a capacitor issue.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk