Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Tricky Dicky Smith Kits

arcadus

As suggested in another thread. I have posted a pic of some of the the DS kits. I had others such as car alarms, timers, theremin but missing the manuals...and kits.

The signal generator is identified as EA ( Electronics Australia). Some kits appeared in EA and DS followed by making them, or vica versa.

Dicky.JPG.af6bf53a86f778efac6035a46f9e200a.JPG

My introduction to electronics was a Funway Vol2 pack including soldering iron and FM Bug kit for Christmas, I think in 1982.

After that I built many a DSE kit and have fond memories of going into the York St store in Sydney as a kid.

My introduction to electronics was a Funway Vol2 pack including soldering iron and FM Bug kit for Christmas, I think in 1982.

After that I built many a DSE kit and have fond memories of going into the York St store in Sydney as a kid.

Same, i built a crap load of those Funway kits during my teens, and probably a dozen of the ETI480 100 watt and 50 watt power amp kits as well as the 300 watt amp kit (as pictured in the first post) over the years!

I used to look through ETI ( Electronics Today International) and EA ( Electronics Australia) magazines to find projects then get the board from RCS radio and the parts from Dick Smith.

I miss the days when you could go into Dick Smith or Tandy stores and buy all the bits you needed straight away.

I'm trying to get full sets of these magazines again and I'm about half way there.

Cheers Trev

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I always wanted to make the Beer powered radio as a kid but I could not convince my Dad use one of his beers on it. He did help me cut up chip board to glue the overlays for the projects though.

Still have the Dick Smith 'Fun way into electronics' book with that project in it. I never got around to it either, although always wanted to try it, maybe I can do it with my kids when they're a bit older - assuming analog radio is still being broadcast.

I always wanted to make the Beer powered radio as a kid but I could not convince my Dad use one of his beers on it. He did help me cut up chip board to glue the overlays for the projects though.

You could always go to one of @Hashman 's meets. Once he's full of beer he'll sound like a radio for you.:lol

I used to look through ETI ( Electronics Today International) and EA ( Electronics Australia) magazines to find projects then get the board from RCS radio and the parts from Dick Smith.

I miss the days when you could go into Dick Smith or Tandy stores and buy all the bits you needed straight away.

I'm trying to get full sets of these magazines again and I'm about half way there.

Cheers Trev

Trev your going to freak out when I tell you I threw out two trailer loads of Radio Australia, ETI, Electronics Australia, all the computer mags, all of them spanning 30 odd years. The list just goes on & on, I tried to sell them as lots but no one would pick them up or pay for postage & now they are all gone forever.

Trev your going to freak out when I tell you I threw out two trailer loads of Radio Australia, ETI, Electronics Australia, all the computer mags, all of them spanning 30 odd years. The list just goes on & on, I tried to sell them as lots but no one would pick them up or pay for postage & now they are all gone forever.
No soup for you.[emoji38]

You know what they say. Sh.t happens.

It is really expensive to get them posted though. I've had to travel to Port Macquarie and Coffs Harbour to pick up most of what I've got.

Cheers Trev

I built these kits over the years learning electronics.

1/ Tv Tank Battle, still working

2/ Music light chaser x2 still working in the gameroom.

3/ Tv CRO worked but long gone.

4/ Flexi Timer scraped for parts

5/ Dick Tracer needs a new mini speaker but works.

6/ Super 80 computer kit, worked for two years before being stripping it for I.c's.

7/ Audio frequency generator.

8/ Duel power supply.

9/ Eprom programmer.

10 Mini Scamp computer, did nothing cost a lot.

11/ Colour TV test pattern generator, still have it & working.

12/ First mono to stereo home theater decoder pre amp.

13/ Teletext decoder, before it was builts in tv by about 3 years too soon. Nothing but test patterns till it became live. Worked then.

There were others but forgotten about now. As you can see I bought Dicks first helicopter..:lol

Edited by Gemini2544

I built these kits over the years learning electronics.

1/ Tv Tank Battle, still working

2/ Music light chaser x2 still working in the gameroom.

3/ Tv CRO worked but long gone.

4/ Flexi Timer scraped for parts

5/ Dick Tracer needs a new mini speaker but works.

6/ Super 80 computer kit, worked for two years before being stripping it for I.c's.

7/ Audio frequency generator.

8/ Duel power supply.

9/ Eprom programmer.

10 Mini Scamp computer, did nothing cost a lot.

There were others but forgotten about now.

Have you still got the remains of the Super80 computer and the Mini Scamp?

[emoji6]

Have you still got the remains of the Super80 computer and the Mini Scamp?

[emoji6]

Sadly No Trev, stripped for parts & long gone. Couldn't see the point as the newer & faster TRS-80 32k Colour computer came out with sound & a speech pack.

:blink:

It is an audible probe "Signal Tracer", It was great finding dead audio issues. You put one contact on ground and probed around finding where the audio started & stopped. Mine still works just needs a new mini speaker. You could also use it on some circuits hearing live signals from ic's & trannys. Sort of an Oscilloscope for the blind if you like, useless if your blind & deaf. :lol

Just do what I do, get just as drunk as him and he makes perfect sense!

Least I think he does, I know I nod a lot...:lol

That's funny, he said the same thing about you! So heres the problem..."Stop getting Pissed" then you'll all speak the same CRAP....:lol