Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Space Invaders on my TV

How cool is this. @Kaizen and I were chatting last year and he mentioned you can plug a b&w spacey into the video in on your TV and you'd get a picture. Well I thought he was yanking my chain but turns out it works!

Cheers brother!

20180319_001043-1.thumb.jpg.daae9212ba38f2030ad91ac0feb88e51.jpg

All you need to do is use an RCA plug!!!

Here's where you plug it in. Yellow for video. Crazy huh!

20180321_145211.thumb.jpg.50e7e735af0277f4e1c13f66bfb34f47.jpg

Bullshit? Try it yourself! :)

Peace

Un plug the V connector and then tap off with standard rca

Good to see you guys are all over this!

Pretty sure tip is signal, shield is GND.

Here'sa pic of my connector to give a better idea.

It's the last two wires on the right of picture.

The yellow wire with the red band is GND. The solid red wire right next to it is video out. (This is just a connector I made up, i.e, not standard wire colours).

20180322_001748-1.thumb.jpg.d22332d82809d89ccf1eaafec49b869f.jpg

Edited by taito

I hooked up my sprint 1 pcb to the tv to double check. Works too! All good!

This piques my interest as someone who's acquired a rather large pile of 1970s Atari boards recently. although how are you powering the board given the weird-ass voltages Atari stuff from that era needs?

This piques my interest as someone who's acquired a rather large pile of 1970s Atari boards recently. although how are you powering the board given the weird-ass voltages Atari stuff from that era needs?

Define large collection..titles?..common spill! ;) he he he

For the Pong clone PCB's I just connect the +5vDC across one of the supply rails to the 74XX logic IC's, no need to supply AC to the edge connector.

There are plenty of caps around most boards that connect across the 5v/gnd which you can connect to as well.

The AC regulation component's don't need to be removed.

You'll also find that the CRT TV's are a bit more forgiving when it comes to locking onto the signal than LCD's but an LCD should still work with these as well, they'll just flicker on and off a few times before locking on.

For my test bench I've used a 12 volt 3.5" LCD reversing camera monitor.

CFp7fSX.jpg

FGH23AK.jpg

Edited by Kaizen

Don't tell him about Tempest or Lunar Lander Darkjedi! ;)

Too late, I got scoop fellers..lol.

My turn to spill!

Nice collection btw!

To answer your question...I wouldn't recommend doing what I did as as it's not keeping the boards original, but I gave up looking for transformers. I just converted the pcbs to take a switcher. Which takes time to carefully examine the board and remove the onboard power supply. It helps heaps if you have a schematic so you can find the pionts to tap. Thats all I'm going to say because it's a skilled task and it's something you should know what you're doing. Giving direction on how to do it may be risky so I don't feel comfortable doing that. Anyway Kaizen has chimed in with some ideas. Be careful.

Peace :)

Edited by taito