Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Flight Simulator X. - minimum specs?

Now I’ve soloed I have always thought it would be handy to have a basic flight sim to learn navigation with. And I’ve just learnt that Boonah airfield is in an add on so it’s time to ask the question- what can I get away with computer-wise? I don’t care about seeing every blade of grass in the fields or even sound. So long as I can recognise real landmarks (Boonah is surrounded by small mountains/big hills if you are from NZ )

I recall that support from MS for FS was discontinued years ago. I think X-Plane let’s you use iPads as peripheral instrument panels and all sorts of other cool stuff. Flight sims are easy to get sucked into wanting add ons, terrain and better physical controls to get a more and more realistic experience. Then there’s the dudes who just do real ATC duties for the online pilots.

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Arcade

I probably wasn't very clear. I don't need all the latest bells and whistles which is why FSX catches my eye. Since it first came out in 2006 I am hoping I can get away with a cheapo laptop or summink. I just need something realtime, that is something more advanced than a wireframe image that has approximately the right colours and simple texture. Shit, if it shows the correct terrain and has Boonah airfield I'll happily use a Commodore Amiga :D

I probably wasn't very clear. I don't need all the latest bells and whistles which is why FSX catches my eye. Since it first came out in 2006 I am hoping I can get away with a cheapo laptop or summink. I just need something realtime, that is something more advanced than a wireframe image that has approximately the right colours and simple texture. Shit, if it shows the correct terrain and has Boonah airfield I'll happily use a Commodore Amiga :D

No worries, I understand - I’m just suggesting that you’ll want more out of it after a while a fsx might not be able to get you there, and you’d have to start over.

7921b54108dff73d23c6ce24e6ca4897.jpg

But i would recommend the adrenaline pack specs as the minimum

2b40954332551b3bc7967a0c12ee50e1.jpg

Hope this helps :)

Thanks. Now this the million dollar question- if I turn off all fancy features (for instance if there are shadows turn them off) could I get away with not having a graphics card? I suspect I know the answer- suck it and see :D

Good idea! At least its a good way to get familiar with the area. I originally learnt to fly where I grew up so I couldn't get lost, but Boonah wherever you look is different hills that at first glance seem much the same!

Now of course my ol laptop is doing some really long update. first time ive turned it on in months...

Hey google earth is turning out to be just the thing for my orientation! Just giving it a bit of time tonight. Im going through and adding placemarks of the most prominent peaks. UNfortunately at this stage I wont see the name until im nearly crashing into them! But just setting up the placemarks is helping me learn them (",)

Hey google earth is turning out to be just the thing for my orientation! Just giving it a bit of time tonight. Im going through and adding placemarks of the most prominent peaks. UNfortunately at this stage I wont see the name until im nearly crashing into them! But just setting up the placemarks is helping me learn them (",)

Glad to hear it’s being helpful. Are you following along with a chart?

Down the track I will try that but I suspect there are no crosswinds in google earth! So for now I’m using it to get familiar with Boonah.

I only did one real nav exercise back in the day. I remember miscalculating the cross wind and flying off course. Good thing the instructor knew where we were :D

• 2 weeks later...
SO I had a big slack attack with all this! And now its only a couple of days before my next flight which will be to familiarise myself with the area. So had a bit of a play on google earth and im getting the hang of 'flying' in it. Just wondering, what would be a cheap option for a basic joystick suitable for this? Dont need rudder peddles or anything. Its a bit fiddly flying with a mouse and trying to read a chart at the same time :D

These are really sturdy. Twist rudder as well. Look on Gumtree and FB for sale, as you can often see them for $20. Flight Sim X is now on Steam, and you can pick it up on sale sometimes for $9.99.

It's still supported by them, multiplayer is active again and multicore is now supported. So much better performance on lower spec machines.

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/6607?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIydCU186g2gIVzwgqCh156gW9EAQYBCABEgLcG_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using an Oculus with FSX, and that is brilliant for in game real word nav exercises.

So I have a logitech 3d stick now. it doesn't seem to do anything in google earth pro and there isn't much info online about it other than maybe it will only work on the 32 bit version and not the 64? I thoguth I had uninstalled the 64 bit and downloaded the 32 but it still seems to be the same program. would you happen to know where I can get the 32 bit version from or in fact if i can make it work in the 64 bit version?

"If you go into Google Earth Tools> Options> Navigation in the Non-mouse controller section you can find some settings for your joystick. You can learn more about Google Earth Flight Simulator"

Try that and see how you go. As far as I know, It should just need calibrating then work in 64 or 32.

- - - Updated - - -

You may also need to navigate from C drive into Google earth Pro, then through to controllers. It will list all the supported flight sticks, with the Logitek extreme 3d being one of them. the drivers are in those folders.