Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

brakes

Nick64

Hi Guys ,

Anyone know a mobile mechanic in Brisbane southside , my brother tried to do the back brakes on a ED 94 ford falcon . He stuffed it up , piston fell out and fluid drained out .

Thanks in advance .. nick ..

Just realised I put this in the wrong section ...

Hi Guys ,

Anyone know a mobile mechanic in Brisbane southside , my brother tried to do the back brakes on a ED 94 ford falcon . He stuffed it up , piston fell out and fluid drained out .

Thanks in advance .. nick ..

Just realised I put this in the wrong section ...

lol, that sounds fun, the upside is they are easy as buggery todo brakes on the old ED

this page will help. http://autofix.com.au/blog/how-to-change-ea-to-ed-falcon-rear-brake-pads

Edited by jason1

Sorry Nick but I'm a auto mechanic by trade for some years now and nothing scares me more than people that think they can mess with safety stuff like Brakes.

Does your brother have kids in the car sometimes?.

Stop him right now with the brakes because now the piston has been exposed beyond it's normal parameter of function there is also now air and moisture in the system.

This is not an online fix it yourself thing. Yes easy - ish to replace pads. BUT.

Maybe I could ask @prktkljokr or @GIBO to chime in re brakes.

Sorry Nick but I'm a auto mechanic by trade for some years now and nothing scares me more than people that think they can mess with safety stuff like Brakes.

Does your brother have kids in the car sometimes?.

Stop him right now with the brakes because now the piston has been exposed beyond it's normal parameter of function there is also now air and moisture in the system.

This is not an online fix it yourself thing. Yes easy - ish to replace pads. BUT.

Maybe I could ask @prktkljokr or @GIBO to chime in re brakes.

Really should have sought a mechanic before he decided to play with them.

XA-ED Falcon rear disc brakes are a pain in the ass even when you know what your doing, most people try to push the piston back not knowing that they wind back as they incorporate the handbrake in the caliper, not really a job for the novice to reassemble.

I have been to 2 accidents in the past year where people thought they would save themselves $100 and do the job themselves, 1 went through the front of a shop, the other T boned a poor lady with a car full of kids, luckily there were no serious injuries .

The first guy was uninsured and had to pay for the repairs to the shop, so a $200 brake job cost him just over $10,000, Don't know what he did but a brake pad fell out of the caliper, the piston came out too far then leaked, and the car ran out of brake fluid at the crucial moment, you think the noise of the piston rubbing on the disk would ring alarm bells.

I never found out what happened to the second guy or what repairs he attempted as the police seized his car for a mechanical inspection, as he told the cop he just did the brakes on the car earlier in the day and could not understand why they failed, his insurance might have come to the party, or maybe not, depending on the outcome of the inspection.

I think when it comes to any safety related repairs on a car, unless you are competent at carrying out the repair properly, leave it to someone experienced who can.

When it comes to brakes you are playing not only with your life but the other road users. really its just not worth it to save a couple of bucks.

Ive had more problems with Brakes that have been done at mechanic shops than the ones Ive done my self, But I do know how to do them.

It is surprisingly hard to find a good mechanic sometimes, thats why i do pretty much everything my self.

But i guess if you dont know what your doing best to seek help.

but changing brakes is Still a good thing to learn though.