Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

Anyone know anything about Amplifiers?

RGR

I have a Harmon Kardon AVR 245 amp that decided to shit itself when I was playing music rather loud. I rang a dealer and they said that it could either be a problem with the power supply or one of the channels. The amp will turn on and all the display lights etc work. There is a slight crackle in the speakers when I attempt to play music but apart from that it is just silence. Is there a cheap solution to this? The dealer wanted $99 just to find out what the exact problem is. Is there someone on this forum that could take a look? I would really appreciate it.

Yeah hmm not sure about a test, but I did a hard reset. Nothing worked. The speakers are fine. I also tested with a mates speakers that work fine as well

How many speakers are normally connected?

There should be a “Test” button on the remote which will do a speaker test tone for each channel

You dont have anything sitting on top of it covering the vents do you? its pretty common for people to put other components ontop of the amp and block off the vents and so they can get very hot in summer and that kills the amp.

or sometimes the amp if to hot will shut it self down.

2. Both RF82s. Had a look in the manual and not sure there was any test function but yeah there could be one. I think the manual said that if this issue did not work then I had to contact my local dealer... Nah the amp was well ventilated. Basically I had it running at +2.0db with Nirvana playing.. Its a pretty old ap btw. Bought it back in 2006

2. Both RF82s. Had a look in the manual and not sure there was any test function but yeah there could be one. I think the manual said that if this issue did not work then I had to contact my local dealer... Nah the amp was well ventilated. Basically I had it running at +2.0db with Nirvana playing.. Its a pretty old ap btw. Bought it back in 2006

thats good, its a common mistake covering the vents, allot of people do that as its an easy mistake to make

I also See it is only 50w per channel so if you have bigger speakers than 50w its also common for people to Pump the amp to max because the speakers can handle it but the amp not so much and that can over heat it and kill it also especially if it is an older amp

the crackling and then silence isnt a very good sign, especially if you know the speakers arent at fault. bugger

Run the test mode as others have said and test cords like your optical or HDMI and hope one of them has just given up, but it doesnt sound very hopeful especially when its over ten years old

Pressing the "Test" button should cycle through a test tone to all speakers configured in the amp. So you should only have the Front Left and Front Right setup but could also have all 7 but just watch the display and it should tell you which one is under test.

If they both let out tones then you might have blown the input board. And if you are only using one input for music you can bypass the input board by using the pre-amp input labelled FL/FR red and white RCA connectors in the group of connectors labelled 6CH in the middle of the back of the AVR. You then need to select 6 Channel using the source button on the front of the AVR or the remote.

- - - Updated - - -

That's assuming you are using an analogue stereo RCA cable from whatever your music source is.

Pressing the "Test" button should cycle through a test tone to all speakers configured in the amp. So you should only have the Front Left and Front Right setup but could also have all 7 but just watch the display and it should tell you which one is under test.

If they both let out tones then you might have blown the input board. And if you are only using one input for music you can bypass the input board by using the pre-amp input labelled FL/FR red and white RCA connectors in the group of connectors labelled 6CH in the middle of the back of the AVR. You then need to select 6 Channel using the source button on the front of the AVR or the remote.

- - - Updated - - -

That's assuming you are using an analogue stereo RCA cable from whatever your music source is.

Yer and try with head phones

found this on youtube, which is sort of what @Claude is talking about

Id help guide you through it, but I have a Pioneer amp so all the buttons are completely different to yours, so this might be closer to yours than mine