Due to a large amount of spamers, accounts will now have to be approved by the Admins so please be patient. ×
IGNORED

The Barn 2018 - 25th August

Pascals, pascals NEEDED everywhere.

One of the most satisfying shots in pinball is hitting a perfect shot off the lower flippers in Q*bert’s Quest.

There I changed it for you.

No pascals in these, but they could do with some.

While playing the virtual I was getting the full loop from the bottom flippers. Didn’t realise that it paid the advancing enemy shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 956
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Steve @Autosteve, you're a wealth of information and history within the Aussie pinball industry and it was great to finally meet and introduce you to like minded people at the Barn meet. However, your constant criticism of Gottlieb pinball machines is really annoying.

Yes, quite a lot of people aren't Gottlieb fans but they were known as the Drop Target kings. Their designs and games in the 60's and early 70's out played the competition. That continued until their reliability issues began, with poor grounding and board issues. While many of their game layouts may have looked simplistic, most were far from it.

There is nothing wrong with their flipper strength. As it has already been pointed out, too strong and plastics start to break. There is more to making certain shots, than just flipper strength. It's timing and skill with a little bit of luck thrown in occasionally that will make the shot you're after.

Pinball means different things to everyone. For me, Gottlieb are definitely my favourite pinball machines. Especially their System 1, 80 and 80a games. Also, many of their EM's are fantastic games to play.

Krull, what a great game. The mini lower playfield, flippers and ball to boot, was a rush I won't forget. I played it in LA, at a friend's place a few years ago now. However, I'm certain it wasn't the first time I played it and do believe I played that game and many other sample games when they were released or shipped out back in the day.

I remember growing up in Sydney and going into the city to play most games, whether production or sample games as it would have been a great testing or dumping ground for games that would or wouldn't make it into production.

- - - Updated - - -

There is an old saying, "you save the best for last". That is certainly true in respects to my collection. The Gottlieb System 80 generation are some of the most beautiful and uniquely designed pinball machines produced. They have always been pushed to the back of my queue until I have the time, space and money to get to them.

Some would have noticed a couple of the Atari Generation/System 1 games at the Barn meet. I have a few more of them to go through and then it's finally time to hopefully give all the attention to the Gottlieb System 80's games patiently waiting their turn.

Steve @Autosteve, you're a wealth of information and history within the Aussie pinball industry and it was great to finally meet and introduce you to like minded people at the Barn meet. However, your constant criticism of Gottlieb pinball machines is really annoying.

Yes, quite a lot of people aren't Gottlieb fans but they were known as the Drop Target kings. Their designs and games in the 60's and early 70's out played the competition. That continued until their reliability issues began, with poor grounding and board issues. While many of their game layouts may have looked simplistic, most were far from it.

There is nothing wrong with their flipper strength. As it has already been pointed out, too strong and plastics start to break. There is more to making certain shots, than just flipper strength. It's timing and skill with a little bit of luck thrown in occasionally that will make the shot you're after.

Pinball means different things to everyone. For me, Gottlieb are definitely my favourite pinball machines. Especially their System 1, 80 and 80a games. Also, many of their EM's are fantastic games to play.

Krull, what a great game. The mini lower playfield, flippers and ball to boot, was a rush I won't forget. I played it in LA, at a friend's place a few years ago now. However, I'm certain it wasn't the first time I played it and do believe I played that game and many other sample games when they were released or shipped out back in the day.

I remember growing up in Sydney and going into the city to play most games, whether production or sample games as it would have been a great testing or dumping ground for games that would or wouldn't make it into production.

- - - Updated - - -

There is an old saying, "you save the best for last". That is certainly true in respects to my collection. The Gottlieb System 80 generation are some of the most beautiful and uniquely designed pinball machines produced. They have always been pushed to the back of my queue until I have the time, space and money to get to them.

Some would have noticed a couple of the Atari Generation/System 1 games at the Barn meet. I have a few more of them to go through and then it's finally time to hopefully give all the attention to the Gottlieb System 80's games patiently waiting their turn.

I’m with you on the Gottlieb’s I have a modern Stern I have had 90’s DMD games and I’ve got Bally solid state games, and the ones that I most hover to and are the most fun to play for me anyway, are the good old EM Gotlieb’s they always put a smile on my face and give me that one more game feeling everytime I play them.

I’m with you on the Gottlieb’s I have a modern Stern I have had 90’s DMD games and I’ve got Bally solid state games, and the ones that I most hover to and are the most fun to play for me anyway, are the good old EM Gotlieb’s they always put a smile on my face and give me that one more game feeling everytime I play them.

Exactly. That's what the designers were so good at doing. Creating designs/games that easily tempted you to play again. The objectives were easy to identify but not so easy to obtain straight away. You would just miss out and, because of that, it enticed you to put another coin in for another try.

Most of the Gottlieb System 1 were a cross over of EM and Solid-State and therefore retained that EM look and feel.

- - - Updated - - -

One thing I do admire about @Autosteve, being an old school pinball tech and working on so many of these wonderful games back in the day, was the ability to get these games going especially when parts weren't always readily available. The little tricks and quick fixes were the usual thing to get these games back up as quick as possible and earning more money.

However, your constant criticism of Gottlieb pinball machines is really annoying.

I actually thought I was a little less rough on Gottliebs to tell you the truth after all some of my favourites are actually Gottliebs but I also have many other brand favourites as well.

Buccaneer, Sure Shot, SuperSpin, High Hand of the last of the EMs. Joker Poker, Pinball Pool, and Torch of the series ones although I was fascinated by Asteroid Annie and the Aliens. Used to play that machine in the showroom for months in the Goddards showroom every lunchtime and yes I played it at the barn. Had about 5 games on that machine and still loved it close to 30 years later.

I thought the concept of multiple playfields was brilliant when used like on Haunted House and most of the wide body, multi playfield Gottliebs. I actually thought Gottlieb had a better understanding on how to make the most of the concept where as Bally and Williams appeared to be more a twin playfield for the sack of it.

The Gottliebs were more of a game within a game.

As for the flippers. Well not much went wrong with them and on a two flipper machine were quite good I thought but no so when multiple flippers were all powered off the one set of cabinet switches.

I think simply wiring the coils exactly like Bally did on machines like Paragon where one flipper is completely up before powering the next coil would have been a better idea.

The flipper strength would have been no different to a single flipper machine so I wouldn't expect the plastics to break any different to a normal two flipper Gottlieb pinball of the same era and it also needs to be considered Gottlieb used the same plastics, drop targets, posts etc on series 3 machines that do have much stronger flippers.

I am not a fan boy of any manufactures product I like to think. When you work on all the brands you see they all have there shortfalls, they were all capable of turning out excellent machines but they all produced what is known as "fillers" as well.

Some made better parts than others although I think Gottlieb had mainly the better common parts.

To me it was always about reliability, ( and a lot of the time that meant changed common parts from another manufacturer's equivalent part ), and were possible, increase the player's experience through better performance.

Both of these meant more money in the cashbox and that kept me employed.

Most people I worked with on pinballs were there for the pay packet at the end of the week. I was there because I loved the machines.

If I thought I could make the machine better, I did after all I wasn't restrained by manufacturing costs like the factory was and a lot that come out of the factories was built to a budget or simply use this part till we run out and then we "may" look at improving it.

Williams horse shoe drop target is a classic example of that.

I understand some purists are bitterly opposed to swapping from stock but I am not a fan boy of any and offer such mods as improvements to the experience and let the owner decide.

I hope this goes some way to explain what I write on this forum and I am sorry to those that may be offended.

Offense is certainly not my intention. We all love these machines and that is what it is all about I like to think.

The little tricks and quick fixes were the usual thing to get these games back up as quick as possible.

That reminds me.

There is a plunger barrel spring holding in a fuse to an under playfield broken fuse clip in Skateball.